We The People: National Popular Vote!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

leper84

Dec 29, 2011
Why do the 1.4 millions questionable votes even matter when its up to California to decide how to run the election in their state?

I think we should go in the opposite direction of a popular vote, I think we should restore autonomy back to the electors to fall more in line with how the Constitution spells out elections.

This push for a popular vote is nothing more than misguided, feel good nonsense that subverts the checks and balances written into the Constitution, just like the 17th amendment.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
I've thought about it and other than his attempt at humor, I still don't get it. The Super Delegates were for the Democrats Primary. This is not a General Election since in most places only Democrats can vote in the Democrats Primary. You can hate the process all you want but its not relevant since you are not a Democrat.
BTW: The General Election has super delegates too.
Electors are distributed more fairly than super delegates.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Looks like a severe case of sour grapes. I don't see any state that doesn't consistently vote blue signing up for such a thing.

Bird222

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2004
No to national popular vote. Yes to mandatory dividing the electorates and get rid of the "winner take all" BS.

A national popular vote should not be put in place. The entire concept of the electoral college was to make sure every state had a say of some sort. So let's say for instance that the entire state of California voted Democrat. It would essentially be a no-contest. Do you think 1-3 states should have the overall say of what occurs across 50 states? Absolutely not.

Also, the popular vote will never happen. The constitutional amendment process would be diabolical. Simply tweaking our current process to ensure everyone has a reason to vote would make much more sense.
I keep hearing this but I don't think so. I think you are confusing the number of Senators with the EC. Read the Federalist papers #68 to see the reason for the EC. It was to prevent some nut from being president. But unfortunately, I don't think they will do their job and pick someone else.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
millions of illegals voted? any proof buddy?

No really, the crazies have convinced themselves that this happened. They really think literally millions of people somehow subverted the voting process.

Not sure what to say other than that they are nuts.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
No really, the crazies have convinced themselves that this happened. They really think literally millions of people somehow subverted the voting process.

See it was rigged but the magical power of cheeto jesus won out anyway.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

Just imagine what it would feel like if you suddenly woke up to discover that you were as stupid as they appear to be. You'd have to go though a really rough patch before you could look yourself in the mirror. The temptation would be to stay asleep.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just imagine what it would feel like if you suddenly woke up to discover that you were as stupid as they appear to be. You'd have to go though a really rough patch before you could look yourself in the mirror. The temptation would be to stay asleep.

I can't imagine that. They are mentally ill.

Jul 9, 2009
That and to also wake up and find out that Donald Trump is your new President! It must be tough to face both those things in the mirror, how do you deal with it?

Nov 29, 2006
I'll cross post this since there are two threads of similar topic...

I still want to know why it's not reasonable to award electorate votes per state as a percentage of voting. If the vote is split 75/25 then give 75% of the electoral votes for the state to that candidate and the remaining to the other. Rinse and repeat for all 50 states. Then winner overall of electorate tally takes it.

It'd give Democrats in places like Kentucky and Alabama a voice.
Republicans in downstate IL, upper NY, and huge areas of California a voice and more value in voting.
Would help cut down on the nonstop pandering to swing states where literally a couple thousand votes could swing an entire election.
And then ultimately cut down on some of the angst of popular vote vs. not my vote being as important that always happens.
Hell, depending on just how many votes a 3rd party gets, they could be legitimately disruptive by being able to peel away a few votes here and there.

I think as our country continues to polarize into huge urban centers vs. rural the way that electorates work isn't..well...working. I don't think straight up popular vote is the answer. But some revision is required.

I the only issue i have with this is that its no different then the popular vote. You just had an unnecessary middle man for no real reason at all. At the outcome would be 100% identical under either your idea of straight popular vote.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
What if you guys lost the popular vote too because all the depressed republicans who live in major cities realized their vote would count.

Would you then finally realize that you live in a bubble that already popped? Going fetal inside your popped bubble doesn't make it any less so.

Nov 29, 2006
Here is the EC chart i had promised someone before the election that id do. I did this on Nov. 16th so the numbers could be a bit different now since not all votes were in at that time. But that doesn't change anything on the chart though. All the needed numbers are there so you can just use whatever formula you want if there is info you'd like to extract from it. It shows how much voice smaller states have vs. larger states. I used Wyoming as my base point for certain formula's because they had the highest representation per EC point. I have a column showing how many EC points each state should have if you are trying to give each state equal representation.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7bP56gpU6raX1BWQzVtYTZYd1k

Reactions: Charmonium
Nov 29, 2006
What if you guys lost the popular vote too because all the depressed republicans who live in major cities realized their vote would count.

Would you then finally realize that you live in a bubble that already popped? Going fetal inside your popped bubble doesn't make it any less so.

I wouldnt care. If that is what the majority people want then that is the fair solution.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You enjoy ignorance I'm sure because I have shown over and over again on this forum that peer reviewed science has established as an absolute fact that conservatives bubble up more than liberals do, that they are less willing to face reality than liberals are. You keep spouting this bubble bull shit because you are living in a bubble. You are simply wrong and incapable of seeing it. So just keep pissing into the wind.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
You enjoy ignorance I'm sure because I have shown over and over again on this forum that peer reviewed science has established as an absolute fact that conservatives bubble up more than liberals do, that they are less willing to face reality than liberals are. You keep spouting this bubble bull shit because you are living in a bubble. You are simply wrong and incapable of seeing it. So just keep pissing into the wind.
If he is incapable of seeing why are you telling him? Do you think you are wrong and he will be able to see it if you just tell him again?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Do you think that any of those 650,000 illegal aliens that were registered to vote and received the voting documents voted ?
Of course not, that would be illegal and these people would never do anything that was against the law. Oh, to have the faith of a liberal.