We regret to inform you your son is dead. (Like) (Comment) 4 Hours Ago

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Police department informs mother of son's death via Facebook.

Such a personal touch. Yes, my title isn't quite exactly how it plays out - I took a little "sensational media liberty", but still, creepy and weird at the same time.

These days, many of us turn to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Flickr, and the like to catch up on our friends' lives, instead of picking up the phone to call them or paying them a visit. But getting bad news via social media about someone we love is a new and sometimes disturbing trend.

A Clayton County, Georgia, woman is outraged because after she searched for nearly a month for her son, she learned of his death via an unusual Facebook message from the police. The Clayton County Police Department sent the message to Anna Lamb-Creasey to inform her of the death of her son, Rickie Lamb, after he was struck by a vehicle on Jan. 24.

Lamb-Creasey told Atlanta's WSB-TV News that she was not aware that Facebook messages not sent from friends show up in another box titled 'other.' Lamb-Creasey was further confused because the message was sent by someone called Misty Hancock, but the message asked for Lamb-Creasey to contact Lt. Schindler. Clarence Cox, a spokesperson for the Clayton County Police Department, said that the account had previously been used in "an undercover capacity." Cox also told WSB-TV News that the department had no intention of the Misty Hancock name getting out to the media.

Twenty days after Rickie's death, Lamb-Creasey's daughter called the phone number from the Facebook message. The family was then informed of the bad news of Rickie's passing.

Lamb-Creasey is upset that the police did not use another method to contact her, or at least use an official Facebook account to reach out to her. The Misty Hancock account's profile picture is of rapper T.I. and one of his daughters at a birthday party, which only added to Lamb-Creasey's confusion.
Clayton County Police Department spokespeople, for their part, claim that police made several attempts through different channels to contact Lamb-Creasey but could not reach her. The police department said it is researching why the Misty Hancock account was used for the message.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Wait.....

Her son was missing for 20 days and she didn't contact the police until after the FB message?

Feb 25, 2011
I can't judge this that harshly. I know too many people who are hard to contact any way BUT facebook, and I know too many people who forget to log out of their FB accounts.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
It says they made several attempts to contact her through other channels. If that's true, then resorting to facebook doesn't seem too bad...especially since the message just "call us", not "your son is dead". As far as them using some random "undercover" account...I'm guessing that was completely accidental (shame on them if it wasn't) and they didn't even realize that it was sent from that account instead of one of the official ones.

Juddog

Diamond Member
Dec 11, 2006
It says they made several attempts to contact her through other channels. If that's true, then resorting to facebook doesn't seem too bad...especially since the message just "call us", not "your son is dead". As far as them using some random "undercover" account...I'm guessing that was completely accidental (shame on them if it wasn't) and they didn't even realize that it was sent from that account instead of one of the official ones.

^^ Exactly - if the damn woman just picked up the phone once in a blue moon they wouldn't have had to resort to posting to her facebook account; they got desperate to tell her the news.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
original.jpg

Sad, but can't believe the mother didn't contact the police about her missing son ASAP. Probably her phone was unlisted. :(

Sep 7, 2009
FWIW

Clayton county is known as a HUGELY corrupt police department. They have assisted gangs with drug deals, have had gang members enlisted on the force, they're known for having little to no accountability from their chief.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
As long as they try to call or send an officer by whatever (if any) address they had before sending the fb message, then it's better than them just giving up.

As long as it wasn't a wall post, lol.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

agreed. they tried to contact her and she wouldn't call back.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't really see anything wrong if they tried calling and could not get ahold of her. It's not like the bad news was posted directly on Facebook.

As for the account that's a mistake that could have been avoided by being more careful but guessing the cop that did it was probably in the middle of using it for another case and forgot to log out.

It's odd they did not just leave a voicemail and leave it at that though.