We needs more Stimulus!!! Unemployment at 10.2%

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
My industry has been seasonally down in the winter months but this year, I missed the summer too. I suspect that I'll be short on work till midsummer next year.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009
But, but, the recession's over! The powers that be say so! All hail the jobless recovery!

The fact is that businesses are afraid to spend money right now. As a minimum, they're waiting for Q1, 2010 to spend much of anything to make their balance sheets look as good as possible. Businesses are also waiting to see what the impact of any healthcare reform legislation might have on their bottom line. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong on this as my business is hurting like so many others. We've been on paycuts and forced time off for a good portion of the year and unless things start picking up, I don't see any change in that.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
This indeed sucks major ass. Especially for those out of work. At least their unemployment benefits will get an extension, but still . . .

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm searching for a thread to bump, I'm pretty sure 10% was my predicted number for the end of the year...few months left though.
Better be DAMN SURE that thread is not older than a year or else you are on your ass, mister!

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Obama promised we would not pass 8% if we let the stimulus go through.
Lol.

1. I'd like to see that quote.
2. The majority of the stimulus funds haven't been spent yet.
3. He said when he took office the turn around would take years.

Did people think what both sides of the aisle were calling "an economic catastrophy unrivaled for decades" would end in a year? some people only hear what they want.

bl4ckfl4g

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2007
Did people think what both sides of the aisle were calling "an economic catastrophy unrivaled for decades" would end in a year? some people only hear what they want.

Yes, soccerballtux thought it would end literally overnight.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I will enjoy watching the democrats try to build support for another stimulus bill. We saw a 3.5% increase in gdp last qtr with only a fraction of the stimulus bill being spent. In other words if we dont have a double dip the economy recovered before the stimulus could really kick in. So what happens next year when the lionshare of the stimulus kicks in? Inflation?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
But, but, the recession's over! The powers that be say so! All hail the jobless recovery!

The fact is that businesses are afraid to spend money right now. As a minimum, they're waiting for Q1, 2010 to spend much of anything to make their balance sheets look as good as possible. Businesses are also waiting to see what the impact of any healthcare reform legislation might have on their bottom line. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong on this as my business is hurting like so many others. We've been on paycuts and forced time off for a good portion of the year and unless things start picking up, I don't see any change in that.

Business is afraid to spend money because they have no idea what the powers in DC are about to do. The democrats have a lot of radical proposals on the table that will add costs to business and reshape markets. Who the hell is going to spend a lot of money when the market they are investing in will go away at the whims in DC? Or if they invest in the wrong technology deemed bad by the morally enlightened in DC and forced to pay high taxes?

These interventionalists will make this pain last longer than it should.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
1. I'd like to see that quote.
2. The majority of the stimulus funds haven't been spent yet.
3. He said when he took office the turn around would take years.

That is kind of like saying gas will be $10 a gallon. Sure it will at some point in the future. At some point in the future we will have have an economic recovery.

But it is going to take much longer with the government spending so much money. I was personally involved in a project to get 100 people hired in a Tennessee county that had nearly 25% unemployement. With this hiring the rate has dropped. But these positions are funded for only 18 months (stimulus funds). In 18 months nothing will be accomplished in this county that will provide alternate employment for these people.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Lol.
That is almost true, but even if it was true, it is also quite misleading. Obama's economic team predicted it would peak at 8% with the stimulus. That is a bit different from Obama saying it himself (which is why I said your statement was ALMOST true).

The misleading part about it is that the unemployment rate was 8.1% when the stimulus bill was passed and it was 8.5% by the time the first stimulus money was spent. Meaning that it would be physically impossible to keep unemployment below 8% with the stimulus since it was already over 8%. The economic picture was far worse than Obama's economic team had estimated.

Job loss recovery always lags economic recovery. It isn't anything to be surprized about, and it certainly isn't anything that can prove a political point yet (on either side).

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Lol.

That wasn't a bright thing to do in hindsight but from what I have read we are slowly recovering and the unemployment numbers should be dropping soon.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
That wasn't a bright thing to do in hindsight but from what I have read we are slowly recovering and the unemployment numbers should be dropping soon.

Stimulus can only be bankrolled (printed?) for so long. Eventually the rug will be swept out from under this "recovery" and we'll take another, if not bigger, nose dive.

I'll go out on a limb and say this is a fool's recovery.

Sinsear

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2007
I love this one. Seems appropriate.

promisedjobs420x325.jpg