We need to stay alert and vigilant and keep reminding people to vote!!

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
I frequently post this at the end of some of my posts.
If you aren't registered, please do so.
The future of our country depends on
you and your vote.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Not true at all!! You should vote anyways!! That's one of your rights as an American!! You need to vote!! Peace!!

Do they not have a point? Same here, I've never lived anywhere where my vote made the slightest difference. I've always voted, but always wonder why I'm bothering. I see it as a ritual, like prayer.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not true at all!! You should vote anyways!! That's one of your rights as an American!! You need to vote!! Peace!!

The electoral college skews the Democratic process so that some states become swing States, aka battleground states. It doesn't meant those in non-swing states shouldn't vote, it just means that some lack the vigor or enthusiasm regarding how much their vote really counts

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
The electoral college skews the Democratic process so that some states become swing States, aka battleground states. It doesn't meant those in non-swing states shouldn't vote, it just means that some lack the vigor or enthusiasm regarding how much their vote really counts
What about local, state, and both house of Congress? If voters voted all three a super majority of Democrats that will greatly reduce the GOP and Trump's power, even If Trump manages to reelected.

Nov 29, 2006
Do they not have a point? Same here, I've never lived anywhere where my vote made the slightest difference. I've always voted, but always wonder why I'm bothering. I see it as a ritual, like prayer.

I sometimes vote, but as you said it's more to say I did than anything. But voting dem president in KS is pretty worthless. Other offices are worth voting on, but when people talk about voting it's usually about for the president and not state officials etc. But I'm sure a republican in CA feels the same that it's just a waste of time.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
What about local, state, and both house of Congress? If voters voted all three a super majority of Democrats that will greatly reduce the GOP and Trump's power, even If Trump manages to reelected.

What about them? I assumed were talking POTUS.

The House seats have been heavily gerrymandered in some states to guarantee conservatives victory, Senate seats (to my knowledge) aren't affected the same way.

Local and state can vary by state, but we at least know they can be used to push state and/or federal policies via governor's and state AG (very important role). Observe how conservative state legislators moved to strip governor's powers after the people in that state voted for a "D" Governor. Then have the audacity to project their "party over country" rhetoric at their "enemies".

I vote in all the elections I can. Yet, I do t delude myself into beleiving the EC makes my vote count as much as someone in a swing state, and even a very rural state.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._showing_the_vote_power_of_all_50_states.html

Reactions: pmv

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I sometimes vote, but as you said it's more to say I did than anything. But voting dem president in KS is pretty worthless. Other offices are worth voting on, but when people talk about voting it's usually about for the president and not state officials etc. But I'm sure a republican in CA feels the same that it's just a waste of time.
This is the kind of attitude that perpetuates itself.

Vote for every single office, every single election.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

In what way does it 'perpetuate itself'?

It's a different system here, but sounds like the issue is similar, thanks to the electoral college thing. Here, if you are in a constiutency where the sitting MP has always gotten more than twice as many votes as every other candidate put together, one of those where they "don't count the [Labour] vote, they weigh it" it really doesn't make any difference how you vote. And that applies despite high turnouts (historically much higher here than in the US).

In our system the only people whose votes usually matter are those in marginal constituencies, and only those voters in those constituencies who are unsure what side they are on, as opposed to those who are hard-core supporters from one party. Everyone else has to concentrate on trying to change the minds of those guys and then waiting to see what they do. Which sometimes feels a bit annoying - who are these flakes who can't make up their minds, and why are they in the driving seat?

Whether it's the same in the US I don't quite know, but it sounds as if similar problems arise.

The argument for voting seems in many cases to be more of a bonding exercise, part of a wider project of reinforcing the sense of being part of a political tribe. In that sense it's a start, but it's not enough and might not even be the most important thing.

(The Brexit referendum was a very different thing of course...it being a national vote not constituency-based meant every vote counted...as I understand it, if you got rid of the electoral college system, that would be the case for electing a President).

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Having said that, Brexit itself has hugely shaken up the whole system, potentially making safe seats into marginals, as it so dramatically cuts-across existing party loyalties. I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen if we have another election before Brexit day.

Nov 29, 2006

Vote for every single office, every single election.

You want people to vote you abolish the EC for higher voter turn out as they know their vote counts as much as the next guy no matter where that person lives.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
You want people to vote you abolish the EC for higher voter turn out as they know their vote counts as much as the next guy no matter where that person lives.
Of course. And there are Presidential candidates, right now, who support abolishing the EC.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
In what way does it 'perpetuate itself'?

It's a different system here, but sounds like the issue is similar, thanks to the electoral college thing. Here, if you are in a constiutency where the sitting MP has always gotten more than twice as many votes as every other candidate put together, one of those where they "don't count the [Labour] vote, they weigh it" it really doesn't make any difference how you vote. And that applies despite high turnouts (historically much higher here than in the US).

In our system the only people whose votes usually matter are those in marginal constituencies, and only those voters in those constituencies who are unsure what side they are on, as opposed to those who are hard-core supporters from one party. Everyone else has to concentrate on trying to change the minds of those guys and then waiting to see what they do. Which sometimes feels a bit annoying - who are these flakes who can't make up their minds, and why are they in the driving seat?

Whether it's the same in the US I don't quite know, but it sounds as if similar problems arise.

The argument for voting seems in many cases to be more of a bonding exercise, part of a wider project of reinforcing the sense of being part of a political tribe. In that sense it's a start, but it's not enough and might not even be the most important thing.

(The Brexit referendum was a very different thing of course...it being a national vote not constituency-based meant every vote counted...as I understand it, if you got rid of the electoral college system, that would be the case for electing a President).
Each individual vote counts. It also encourages others that they aren't alone in having their vote "not count".

People who live in a district where their vote isn't part of the winning tally are less likely to go and vote the next time around, which is an ATTITUDE that perpetuates itself by decreasing vote turnout of yourself, and people like yourself.

You vote for every single office, every single election. If people did that, instead of lamenting how they don't get to be a part of the winning coalition of votes every time, it would change election results. There are plenty of places where a few votes one way or the other would have switched the results. But you never know when people just sit their ass at home swiping their phone screen.

Or: vote every time, or STFU about politics and let the rest of us decide what happens to you, since you don't care enough to do the bare minimum in using your voice.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Each individual vote counts. It also encourages others that they aren't alone in having their vote "not count".

People who live in a district where their vote isn't part of the winning tally are less likely to go and vote the next time around, which is an ATTITUDE that perpetuates itself by decreasing vote turnout of yourself, and people like yourself.

You vote for every single office, every single election. If people did that, instead of lamenting how they don't get to be a part of the winning coalition of votes every time, it would change election results. There are plenty of places where a few votes one way or the other would have switched the results. But you never know when people just sit their ass at home swiping their phone screen.

Or: vote every time, or STFU about politics and let the rest of us decide what happens to you, since you don't care enough to do the bare minimum in using your voice.

Well, I can't say how it works in the US. But here (and under any first-past-the-post parliamentary system) that simply isn't true. You have a constituency where the MP from the dominant party usually gets about 50,000 votes and the other half-dozen candidates between them get 10,000, then whether you as an individual vote or not is not going to make any difference.

You say there are places where a few votes one way or the other would switch the result, but my point is for those who don't live in those places. I have never in my life lived in one of those places. None of my votes have ever had any chance of making any difference (apart, ironically enough, from the Brexit vote...where my side lost, dammit).

I'm being obtuse in not taking into account this conversation is really about the US, though, I know. I suppose even with the electoral college the system isn't quite as cut-and-dried as a parliamentary one. What's amazing is how high turnouts traditionally are here, given that most votes are essentially wasted.

Last edited:

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Well, I can't say how it works in the US. But here (and under any first-past-the-post parliamentary system) that simply isn't true. You have a constituency where the MP from the dominant party usually gets about 50,000 votes and the other half-dozen candidates between them get 10,000, then whether you as an individual vote or not is not going to make any difference.

You say there are places where a few votes one way or the other would switch the result, but my point is for those who don't live in those places. I have never in my life lived in one of those places. None of my votes have ever had any chance of making any difference (apart, ironically enough, from the Brexit vote...where my side lost, dammit).

I'm being obtuse in not taking into account this conversation is really about the US, though, I know. I suppose even with the electoral college the system isn't quite as cut-and-dried as a parliamentary one. What's amazing is how high turnouts traditionally are here, given that most votes are essentially wasted.
Well, you've already given up, so just do what others tell you to do.

Good luck.

Nov 29, 2006
You can always tell the ones who don’t understand the EC well. They may know how it works on a general high school level, but not a deep enough understanding of why it’s a flawed bad system.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
You can always tell the ones who don’t understand the EC well. They may know how it works on a general high school level, but not a deep enough understanding of why it’s a flawed bad system.
actually most people know it is a flawed system! But with that said I respect peoples feelings for why the feel their vote in some cases doesn`t really matter! But as for me, if I was in one of those states where my vote perhaps might not matter. I would vote anyways!! Always have and always felt it was a good habit to get into!!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I frequently post this at the end of some of my posts.
If you aren't registered, please do so.
The future of our country depends on
you and your vote.

I've been voting for 22 years.
You know what I got?
SHIT!
Shit in every elected office across the country.
Shit in most appointed offices across the country.
We cant take our country back from the politicians by voting.
We gotta do something real.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I don’t live in a battleground state so not much reason for me to vote sadly.

this is how the fascists take over local communities, which is really what matters the most. There's more than just federal candidates on the ballot, you know?

Reactions: nickqt