We need a president with active duty experience

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Kennedy was NOT a good president. He was well loved by an ignorant public, theres a difference.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
No. Current politicians are already mentally unstable enough.
We don't need to add psychopath on top of everything else.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No. Current politicians are already mentally unstable enough.
We don't need to add psychopath on top of everything else.

Don't be talking about Allen West that way...

You don't have to be ex-military to be a psychopath, anyway- witness Romney. The pen is mightier than the sword, and neater, too.

jstern01

Mar 25, 2010
That's Romney to a 'T', and while I like Romney, I can't recall of the top of my head a case of a similar President to bolster that case. I want a President with executive experience (preferably a governor - a full term governor), extensive business experience, and a healthy understanding of and appreciation for both capitalism and freedom. I think though that the ability to clearly articulate a vision and persuade others to his or her way of thinking might be the very most important thing. That, or maybe a will of iron.

Then your man is Herbert Hoover... the last time we elected a CEO president, how did that work out?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Kennedy was NOT a good president. He was well loved by an ignorant public, theres a difference.

The ignorance is yours.

And there's nothing to do about it it seems to me.

If you'd like to argue, please comment on the substance of the following topics:

- JFK's Africa policy, including his plans with Patrice Lumumba
- JFK's Alliance for Progress and Latin and Southern American policies
- JFK's Tax bill
- JFK's leadership on civil rights
- JFK's leadership on the moon landing
- JFK's leadership on developing counter-insurgency in the miiltary, including the Navy Seals
- JFK's cold war peace initiatives with Kruschev, including the limited nuclear test ban treaty and the agenda of his speech to American University in June, 1963
- JFK's resolution of the Laos crisis
- JFK's decision to withdraw from Vietnam by 1965
- JFK's advocacy for the poor and Medicare

Those are for a start.

Last edited:

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Look at the ones that did

Carter NO!
Kennedy NO!
Eisenhower OK++
Truman OK+

These we are all, more or less, pretty good presidents, at least compared to the ones since Carter. We need less governors and senators and more millitary men.

Ford....US Navy OK
Reagan....US Army Great!
Bush(41)....US Navy OK
Bush(43)....Air National Guard OK

So, what's your point?

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
The ignorance is yours.

And there's nothing to do about it it seems to me.

If you'd like to argue, please comment on the substance of the following topics:

- JFK's Africa policy, including his plans with Patrice Lumumba
- JFK's Alliance for Progress and Latin and Southern American policies
- JFK's Tax bill Lowering taxes was a good idea
- JFK's leadership on civil rights
- JFK's leadership on the moon landing Good
- JFK's leadership on developing counter-insurgency in the miiltary, including the Navy Seals
- JFK's cold war peace initiatives with Kruschev, including the limited nuclear test ban treaty and the agenda of his speech to American University in June, 1963
- JFK's resolution of the Laos crisis What?
- JFK's decision to withdraw from Vietnam by 1965 A big fat lie!
- JFK's advocacy for the poor and Medicare

Those are for a start.

JFK was a failure as President.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Oh no, you are not one of those "Bush lost the election" conspiracists, are you? It is in the same group as we faked the moon landing and we used super thermite to take down the twin towers.
--- shhhh.....don`t wake kylebisme up......you will get the whole 9/11 thing started again....

a777pilot

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2011
Then your man is Herbert Hoover... the last time we elected a CEO president, how did that work out?

There were only two Presidents in the 20th century that their election as President was there first and only elected office. One was ill suited to be President: Hoover. The other was a very good if not great president: Eisenhower.

Once again, how can we draw any conclusions from just two very different choices?

jstern01

Mar 25, 2010
There were only two Presidents in the 20th century that their election as President was there first and only elected office. One was ill suited to be President: Hoover. The other was a very good if not great president: Eisenhower.

Once again, how can we draw any conclusions from just two very different choices?

Eisenhower was the benefactor of country tired of war and more concerned with growing the economy. The US was pretty much on autopilot (with the exception of getting out Korea), when he took office. He spend a lot of time on domestic issues, which he had a great team backing him up. But as a leader, he was okay.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Bush 43 OK? What exactly was OK about it?

OK is not good or bad. He would have been rated bad, but the vast amount of good he gained by keeping Gore out of the White House took him a while to whittle down to an OK. :)

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
This is true. But remember President Obama insisted on the backup helicopter which was fortunate since one of the helicopters failed and they had to destroy it.

Yes the capabilities of the Special Forces improved since Carters time but the fact that President Obama changed the initial plan to add in more "fail safes" like the extra Helicopter shouldn't be discounted....

If the president is meddling in operational plans to the point where he's deciding how many helicopters go on a mission then something is seriously wrong.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Reguardless of if you liked Bush or Gore, that's not Democracy.

I hate Bush II for the record, but the United States is not and was never meant to be a pure democracy. We are a constitutional republic.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

JFK didn't even have a single full term. It's pretty hard to properly judge such a short presidency. He had his good moments (committing us to sending a man to the moon, standing up the Soviets during the Berlin crisis, the tax cuts that ultimately passed under LBJ) and his bad ones (Bay of Pigs) but I think any rational attempt at grading his presidency would give him an "incomplete."

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006

Of course you think he was, he as a Democrat :rolleyes:

You realize that some of JFK's biggest initiatives (stronger military, tax cuts) looked similar to what current Republicans often push for?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Bush 41 is probably one of the most underrated presidents in recent history. He was an old school fiscal conservative who didn't believe in profligate spending but also realized that controlling deficits mattered more than parroting party orthodoxy on taxes. Unfortunately for him he held office during the wrong point in the economic cycle. The way he handled the first Iraq war was a masterpiece of competent, pragmatic foreign policy.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Yep. Such a failure that he kept the world from being incinerated. Not to mention his civil rights agenda and pushing the space program.

Here's another pro-tip, if we'd listened to Carter 35 years ago, we wouldn't be having the same magnitude of energy related problems we are today. Such a horrible president.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Here's another pro-tip, if we'd listened to Carter 35 years ago, we wouldn't be having the same magnitude of energy related problems we are today. Such a horrible president.
What energy problem?

I'm serious. I haven't owned a TV in about 3 years so I'm really out of the loop on stuff like this. I haven't seen any energy crisis yet. I still drive around just for the fun of it and I still dry my clothes using a dryer (hanging them to dry with a dehumidifier in the room is a LOT more energy efficient).

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
i'll have to disagree
unless you want a totalitarian/fascist or nationalist state

which i do not

McCain is from a multi-generation military family, he wasn't presidential material

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
What energy problem?

I'm serious. I haven't owned a TV in about 3 years so I'm really out of the loop on stuff like this. I haven't seen any energy crisis yet. I still drive around just for the fun of it and I still dry my clothes using a dryer (hanging them to dry with a dehumidifier in the room is a LOT more energy efficient).

Our large dependence on middle east oil and all the political and military costs of that.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
What energy problem?

Missed the gas prices lately, have we?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
In the three years he was IN OFFICE, the man did little good and lots of bad. His ideas and his speeches are why people remember him and love, thats been twisted and morphed into him actually doing good which is not true.