We just bought a dorian fruit.. now what?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
take a really big knife

cut it open

hold your nose

take one out, and eat it

edit - it has like realy really big seeds, you eat the stuff around the seeds

erikiksaz

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 1999
Find something to plug up your nose.

:p

Well anyways, my mom usually uses a cleaver + a screwdriver to crack that motha open. You just have to find the softspot. Other than that, i couldn't tell you. I couldn't see what they were doing from the safety and comfort of my non-dorian smelling room :)

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Now you can go back to the future, if you can figure out how to configure the Flux Capacitor... How many Jigawatts is it again?

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Originally posted by: NeuroSynapsis
take a really big knife

cut it open

hold your nose

take one out, and eat it

edit - it has like realy really big seeds, you eat the stuff around the seeds

Change the order so that "hold nose" comes first ;)

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
They kinda have "seams" that run around them. Get a honking big knife and use it it open up the fruit along one of the seams. The seed pods containing the fruit are in an orange-segment kind of arrangement. The gooey/stringy yellow fruit is the stuff you eat (typically with your fingers).

Putting it in the fridge (not the freezer) overnight will make it less stinky if the smell bothers you at all.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusarider
If it is so bad, why does anyone want to eat it anyway?
Actually, they taste pretty good. Kinda vanilla-ish, but more pungent. It's one of those thing you either like or really hate. I've never seen anyone taste one and say "Hmm....not too bad."

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
If its frozen, I find dropping it on the floor a few times does the trick. It will usually bust at the seams on the top, where from there, you can peel and break it apart, getting the smelly yet unusually tasty fruit.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
throw it out the window. my best friend loves eating it. sometimes he'll leave what he didnt eat in the room in a bowl and let it sit for a few days. i can walk in the room and instantly know it. it smells horrible. he claims it tastes great once you get over the smell. im kind of curious, but i need nose plugs before taking a bite. the smell is truly god awful, but my friend says its a small price for such a delicious delicacy [sp?] (thats what he told me, in mayalsia, where he's from, its considered a delicacy)

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
I saw a video in my bio ap class a few days ago, they said that those smelly fruits can be smelt by even humans from upto a halfmile away. They say the inside is creamy and sweet, the guy in the video took a mouth full then spit it out...lol.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
hehe, always an exciting time, when you get your first one. I remember when my mom bought us one in Toronto.........we made her throw it out immediately, since we were young and didn't know any better. :)

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Do you mean durian? That is funk :)

When I was in Singapore, there was a big sign in the lobby that said not to bring the fruit into the rooms because it takes a day to get the smell out.

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
eh, durian tastes ok. I don't hate it, or like it extremely. I have no problem with the smell, but I wouldn't rub it in my nose or anything. Actually, the best part of the durian fruit is not the yellow stuff.. it's actually the seed itself. You know that you can eat that too right? Just steam the seeds and peel off the outside shell, then eat the white stuff inside. It's delicious.

SyahM

Golden Member
Nov 6, 2001
whoaa, i miss durian, it's been years since the last time i had it.
come on, the smell isnt that bad but the taste, OMG, the taste is so good.
OTOH, you cant have too many durian at once or else you'll increase your body temperature and might cause a fever.
Fortunately, you can prevent that by drinking water using the shell :)
Enjoy the durian and be very careful with the thorns.
By the way, i'm from Malaysia.