WD hard drive running slow?

Achtung

Jul 31, 2001
Hi all,

I've got a Western Digital WD1000JB in my computer, on a mainboard that supports up to ATA133. I ran a diagnostic test on it using SiSoft Sandra, and it came back with a speed of around 15000 kB/s on average. It looks like the speed it should be coming back with is around 30000 kB/s. I have an Athlon XP 2000+ on a Gigabyte board with about 512 meg of RAM, of that matters at all. Do I need to change a jumper or something somewhere? I'd just like to get the speed that is available to the drive out of it.

johnjkr1

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2003
#1, check in device manager and make sure it isnt running in PIO mode

#2, update your bios....i just read a thread in another forum about your exact same problem, flashing the bios fixed it

#3 there are no "performance" jumpers, just master slave and cs

#4...got the latest motherboard drivers?

Zelmo3

Dec 24, 2003
There's a common theme going around many posts about hard drive speeds: Sandra LIES about your drive! (Either that or Sandra lies about how fast other drives go.)
Try benchmarking with HDTach or that other one that was recommended to me when I had the same concern (atto or atta or something). They tend to be more accurate and informative.

Achtung

Jul 31, 2001
I'll check out that HDTach program, see if its helpful. Also I believe I've got the latest drivers and BIOS updates, but I can give that a shot as well.

Thanks.