WD BLACK SN750 NVME SSD + ASUS Maximus VII Hero?

HashBrownJM

Apr 19, 2019
Good evening, AnandTech! First time poster here. I'm just getting into the M.2 SSD game (have a few SATA SSDs already in the system) but noticed that my motherboard (despite its age!) has a single M.2 socket on it.

Not knowing a ton about how the different bandwidths/advances in M.2 and NVME tech works, I want to know, could I put something as new a the WD BLACK SN750 NVME SSD in my Maxiumus VII Hero mobo and have it work? Would it be bottlenecked on transfer or read/write speeds due to the age of the board? Would I be better off getting some sort of PCIe adapter and plugging it in that way or abandoning hope altogether?

Thanks!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not really worth buying a top NVMe drive for that board as the slot is limited to x2 speeds while all the newest NVMe drives are PCIe 3.0 x4 (32 Gb/s).

You can always get a fast drive like the WD, and transfer it over when you build a new PC. Otherwise, if you plan on keeping your current system for a bit, just keep using SATA SSDs as they still give enough performance for most user's needs.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Overview-of-M-2-SSDs-586/
5.jpg

HashBrownJM

Apr 19, 2019
Not really worth buying a top NVMe drive for that board as the slot is limited to x2 speeds while all the newest NVMe drives are PCIe 3.0 x4 (32 Gb/s).

You can always get a fast drive like the WD, and transfer it over when you build a new PC. Otherwise, if you plan on keeping your current system for a bit, just keep using SATA SSDs as they still give enough performance for most user's needs.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Overview-of-M-2-SSDs-586/

Thank you! I figured there was a pretty significant limitation because of how old the board is. Overall, though, it's still kickin' and the computer runs great, so I probably won't be upgrading CPU/mobo for a bit yet.

Reactions: UsandThem