WD BLACK 8TB External HDD = $170

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Interesting to see a 7200rpm external, but it still only has a 3yr warranty so it's no Ultrastar as those have a 5yr warranty.

If you shuck out the drive from the case, I'm sure it will be the white label equivalent of an Ultrastar DC HC320. WD has been white-labeling the hard drives in external cases now for a while now as a response to the number of people who buy them just to remove the drives for other uses.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
If you shuck out the drive from the case, I'm sure it will be the white label equivalent of an Ultrastar DC HC320. WD has been white-labeling the hard drives in external cases now for a while now as a response to the number of people who buy them just to remove the drives for other uses.
And while the design of the white label is close, it's not the same as the real thing, and hence the shorter warranty:

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
And while the design of the white label is close, it's not the same as the real thing, and hence the shorter warranty:

1. Performance is pretty close.
2. Save $40
3. External enclosure is pretty nice.
4. 3 year warranty is nothing to sneeze at.

If you need mission critical buy the official version.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
1. Performance is pretty close.
2. Save $40
3. External enclosure is pretty nice.
4. 3 year warranty is nothing to sneeze at.

If you need mission critical buy the official version.
If you're using it externally, it's a great drive as 3yrs is about as good as you will find on externals and most are not 7200rpm.

But to imply that it has a datacenter drive in it, or is close to it, is misleading--and that's my point.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
If you're using it externally, it's a great drive as 3yrs is about as good as you will find on externals and most are not 7200rpm.

But to imply that it has a datacenter drive in it, or is close to it, is misleading--and that's my point.

It is the datacenter drive model....maybe b-stock or whatever they derive the white label from. Only WD knows the exact difference on the two drives.

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
It is the datacenter drive model....maybe b-stock or whatever they derive the white label from. Only WD knows the exact difference on the two drives.
It isn't or they would say it is. It may share the components and be similar in performance, but that doesn't make it one. Only WD knows how similar this drive is to a datacenter model, and to state this without any confirmation is misleading--especially when people who use these drives in a larger nas or smaller enterprise setup have had issues with the drives (a setup that would be no problem for the datacenter drive):

Reactions: tracerbullet