WD-40 + Super Soaker + Flame =

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: gigapet
what is stopping the flame from traveling back inside the super soaker and igniting the resovoir and exploding violently?

No oxygen inside the reservoir to combust with. Even when the reservior is half-empty, the strong scent of the WD-40 or the washer fluid is because they evaporate quickly to fill that space, rather than letting air into the thing. And any air that did get in would get used up pretty fast

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
what is stopping the flame from traveling back inside the super soaker and igniting the resovoir and exploding violently?

The lack of oxygen in the tube. If they let the bottle run out though and they get mist in the tube, they're in trouble.

vood0g

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2004
Originally posted by: glugglug

No oxygen inside the reservoir to combust with. Even when the reservior is half-empty, the strong scent of the WD-40 or the washer fluid is because they evaporate quickly to fill that space, rather than letting air into the thing. And any air that did get in would get used up pretty fast

are you sure about that?

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: vood0g
Originally posted by: glugglug

are you sure about that?

His first sentence was accurate, but the rest of his post was false. When you pump up the reservoir, you're pumping air into it. That air when mixed with the WD-40 is combustible. It evaporating quickly has nothing to do with it not burning. On the contrary, that vapor is very combustible. Normally the tube in the tank will only pick up liquid, so you don't have to worry about fire travelling from the nozzle through the liquid and into the tank since the liquid can't burn without oxygen. But if the liquid in the reservoir runs out and the tube sucks up air+liquid, you're in trouble.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Thats what a flame arrestor is for.

Flashback arrestor. :)

Also don't use air to pressurise the vessel. Use argon, co2 or nitrogen. You could use freon but you'd better not do this in an enlosed space unless you enjoy getting your lungs seered with phosgene.

It would probably burn nice with propane as the carrier.

Either way, using a super soaker as a flame thrower is pretty dumb. Go to a PCO supply store, lots of goodies there. After all, outside of a military flame thrower, what other (fun) way is there to take down a nest of European hornets 40' up in a tree?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The dumbass should've flamed his friend who's doing the recording. Now that would be a bit more entertaining.

MrYAK

Aug 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
BTW: Did you know that WD-40 was originally "supposed" to be a synthetic fuel?

its too bad that i know this statement is wrong.

WD= water displacement, but i wasnt sure what the 40 stood for so i looked it up.

WD-40

cavemanmoron

Lifer
Mar 13, 2001
Originally posted by: tfinch2
I'm gonna put this on my must try list.

I would put this on my Never try this list,
Unless wearing a full Nomex suit.gloves and helmet........

What if that blew up?

Westchester fire/burn unit is not Fun.

I have had 3rd degree burns before. :( :|