[wccftech] Overclocked 780 Ti Benchmarks Leaked – Show Massive Overclocking Headroom

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Never had that problem with only 1.5gigs on GTX 580 with all textures mods. Sounds like something else not configured right.

Video ram is not a huge deal for single card users at all, i've yet to play a game, including BF4, skyrim with texture mods, that will tax a card with lower video memory.

All this means is your Skyrim wasn't modded to the extent as the user above you. I have experienced the same stops and stutters as the poster stated above you on a 2GB card. Even without an ENB, I still can reach 2.8GB of vram usage in my Skyrim @ 1080P and smooth with no stutter.

Last edited:

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Well, an R9 290X in [Not-So]Quiet mode

Of course the not so quiet mode is as quiet as that horrible horrible noisy card called the GTX 680.

Right?

fannoise_load.gif

Please stay on topic - this is not a noise discussion of a GTX 680 vs 290x.

-Rvenger

Last edited by a moderator:

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
@ GaiaHunter: maybe you are missing the point, but R9 290X in "Quiet" mode is already several dB louder than GTX 780 (and GTX 770 and Titan), so that is hardly what I would consider to be "Quiet" (even if it is not really "Loud" either in that mode). Several reviewers commented as such. Note that this obviously applies specifically to the reference design. It is pretty outrageous that they call it "Quiet" mode when their card is already significantly louder than the immediate competition, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
@ GaiaHunter: maybe you are missing the point, but R9 290X in "Quiet" mode is already several dB louder than GTX 780 (and GTX 770 and Titan), so that is hardly what I would consider to be "Quiet" (even it is not really "Loud" either in that mode). Several reviewers commented as such.

I think he hit the nail on the head. Were you complaining across multiple threads for days on end about the 680 fan noise? :confused:

I, on the other hand, would naturally be forced to use the uber mode so I don't know how loud that even is. I don't intend to find out either, it's aftermarket for me (whichever card).

YBS1

Golden Member
May 14, 2000
I just received word that Nvida will release a driver with this which disables rendering in 3DMark, along with a custom API to allow reduced draw calls the only thing rendered will be a blank screen with obscene fps.

But...but...It's a world record!
I have yet to figure out why team red is clinging to these invalid submissions. If it doesn't show up as a "validated result" on Futuremark's site, it's not a record. It's a reduced workload, it's a cheat.

ams23

Feb 18, 2013
@ Wand3r3r: Look, this isn't rocket science. Compared to it's immediate competition today, R9 290X is louder even in "Quiet" mode. I am not bothered by R9's noise levels in that mode, but I wouldn't say that it is particularly quiet either in that mode.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
@ Wand3r3r: Look, this isn't rocket science. Compared to it's immediate competition today, R9 290X is louder even in "Quiet" mode. I am not bothered by R9's noise levels in that mode, but I wouldn't say that it is particularly quiet either in that mode.

Obviously since there was no outcry about the GTX 680 loudness that means the "not so quiet mode" is quite acceptable to the masses.

Additionally, even the uber mode is as loud as a 7970 GHz.

I'm sure the 7970 GHz is on the loud side, but again there was no particularly out cry about it.

The biggest complaint about the 290X cooler is that is barely adequate to dissipate the heat generated, regardless of 95*C being a safe operating temperature or not.

Unless you are telling me that the GTX 680 is a quiet card but the 290X in silent mode is a "not so quiet" card at the same dB levels.

Last edited:

Rvenger

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator <br> Video Cards
Apr 6, 2004
Thread reopened.

Please stay on topic, it has already been derailed multiple times.

If I see any personal attacks, derailing or anything that violates the forum rules after this post I will be handing out infractions and closing the thread permanently.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread.

-Rvenger

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
No matter which way you look at it, the 28nm Die has about reached it's limit. I don't care whether it's Red or Green if you pay $150 over $549US/$599CDN for another measly 5 to 8% for performance at the expense of heat and noise, that's up to you.

The 20nm die may be better but who's to say when you consider Intel's SB Vs IB CPU's in regards to Performance over Heat and sufficient Cooling.

These last Perf/Price offerings of the 28nm GPU Die just may be the Best of what we are to expect for a very long time or at least till we have to upgrade the whole Platform which will not be anytime soon for me.

-----------------------------------------
i7 2700k/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3/Corsair H110 AIO (running @ .996v/1600Mhz to 1.376v/4600Mhz 24/7 between 36 to 67C), 4 x's 4GB sticks of Samsung MV-3V4G3D-US DDR3 running at 1.34v/1866Mhz 9-9-9-24 1T with 4GB's assigned to a RAMDisk drive to handle Win7 sluff and negate writes to the SSD, Samsung 840 Pro 256 SSD, 2 x's WD5001AALS HDD's in Raid-0, 1 x's WD1002FAEX 1TB, ASUS DRW-24B1ST DVDRW, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1250 PCIe, XFX 850W Pro Black Black Edition modular PSU, EVGA e-GeForce GTX 280, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case, QX2510 Samsung PLS 2560x1400 res display at 120Hz.

Up Grading GPU pending price of AMD's Radeon R9 290X offering Vs nVidia GeForce EVGA GTX 780 Classic or 780Ti.

I'm ready for 1440p 4K PPL gaming and that 512 Bit/4GB Hynix vRam AMD R9 290X looks very nice to me perhaps the cheaper R9 290 ;o)

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2012
All this means is your Skyrim wasn't modded to the extent as the user above you. I have experienced the same stops and stutters as the poster stated above you on a 2GB card. Even without an ENB, I still can reach 2.8GB of vram usage in my Skyrim @ 1080P and smooth with no stutter.

Skyrim still has some loading hitches on my 7950s. Modded

Warning issued for thread crapping.
-- stahlhart

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
The benchmarks from the OP don't seem to be correlating with other benchmarks. For example, titan is as fast as the r290x at 4k gaming.

GTX 780ti should be another good halo card or for the consumer in general ie, if they can afford it.

Edit: not the OP but the next post down.

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
What's with the 290x availability? Been sold out since it launched pretty much. I hope there will be some AIBs soon.

-- stahlhart

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
From my experience, the newer GPU's are always kind of scarce for a good while after release. Just as I imagine the GTX 780ti is going to be a hard find after its release.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
The next one of you that can't figure out what is being discussed here locks the thread.
-- stahlhart

Owls

Feb 22, 2006
What's with the 290x availability? Been sold out since it launched pretty much. I hope there will be some AIBs soon.

-- stahlhart

Well, time for me to go to another forum

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.