Ways and Means Chairman Bill Thomas (R-Calif.) Cries Like a Little Schoolgirl

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
WashingtonPost.com Article

Ways and Means Committee Chairman Bill Thomas (R-Calif.) tearfully apologized on the House floor yesterday for asking Capitol Police officers to evict Democrats from a committee room Friday, as Republicans worked to quell bad publicity stemming from the fracas.

The extraordinary public admission -- Thomas broke down in tears as he addressed a hushed chamber usually reserved for policy debates and state speeches -- capped a week of quiet damage control by GOP leaders. Furious at the thought of handing Democrats a public relations win, top Republicans have spent hours in closed-door meetings lecturing senior members on proper decorum.

Friday's routine Ways and Means Committee session on pension legislation dissolved into partisan brawling after Democrats said they had not been given enough time to review a substitute version offered by Thomas. When the chairman refused to delay the vote, the Democrats decamped to an adjacent library in protest.

Thomas summoned Capitol Police to oust them, although the arriving officers declined to do so, and the impasse ended without fisticuffs. That did not stop Democrats from blasting Thomas and his GOP colleagues on the House floor all afternoon, and many news accounts and editorial pages aired their complaints.

The scorn focused on Thomas, whose self-confidence borders on arrogance and whose abrasive manner has long been tolerated by House leaders because of his expertise in tax-writing, health care and trade. Yesterday, his normal hubris melted in front of his riveted colleagues.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

The scorn focused on Thomas, whose self-confidence borders on arrogance and whose abrasive manner has long been tolerated by House leaders because of his expertise in tax-writing, health care and trade. Yesterday, his normal hubris melted in front of his riveted colleagues.
I love journalistic objectivity. Is this the national enquirer?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Oh hell yeah, I really think he broke down in tears from sorrow.
Slimeball with crocodile tears.
These Polititians are disgusting, and their voting public should dump them.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: alchemize

How in the hell did that get past an editor?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CaptnKirk
I assume you also include the one that was calling another a c***sucker and a fruitcake?

Dec 27, 2001
Where's the story about the democratic senator calling someone a fruitcake and ****sucker? I'll find that since we're basically down to mud-flinging in this forum. Weeeee.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
alchem -

You know what - I don't see that in the article or in the post response.
Do you just make crap up and throw it in to disrupt things ?
Stay within the confines of the discussion.

Unless you mean the common Republican method of refering to Barney Frank.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
alchem -

it helps to read the linked article. paragraph 5.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Paragraph 5 -

Whats your point ?

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Paragraph 5 -

Whats your point ?

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=52&threadid=1100314

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
So tell me how does linking to another thread justify the fact that it was not in the posted link or article ?
Or even in the discussion within the confines of this thread ?

You can grab anything you want from anywhere I guess, How 'bout those WMD's ?

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
alchem -

Allow me to enlighten you, since you feel familiar enough with a few lines of text to blather on, but not inspired enough to read the entire article:

"While apologizing for summoning the police, Thomas defended his separate call to the House sergeant-at-arms to "reestablish order in the committee." He was referring to the tirade by Rep. Fortney "Pete" Stark (D-Calif.) in which he repeatedly called Rep. Scott McInnis (R-Colo.) "a little fruitcake.""

Previous stories on this referred to him calling Thomas a c***sucker

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
So tell me how does linking to another thread justify the fact that it was not in the posted link or article ?
Or even in the discussion within the confines of this thread ?

You can grab anything you want from anywhere I guess, How 'bout those WMD's ?

Uh, you were the one who said you could not find the text of what he posted. I Posted exactly where it was, you said 'so what'? I posted where you has posed that challenge...voila! What exactly in that process is so hard to understand?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Oh yeah Paragtaph 13 - silly me, I only counted to 5 when you said '5', My crystal ball should have said
he dosen't know the difference between 5 and thirteen, after all it's only 8 paragraphs off in the reference.
And sure I guess I should have just inserted the words that weren't there that you mentioned in front of
the 'fruitcake' refference. Is this free-lance creative reading you use ? I still don't see exactly those words
in Paragraph 5, which isn't EXACTLY where you said it was.

Are you a relative of Cheney ? He knew EXACTLY where everything was you know.

I have re-read that article several times and I do not see in that article EXACTLY what he said was there.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000

I ask again, now that you are updated Mr. Kirk, do you agree that the other politician who has a potty mouth should also be dumped?

BarneyFife

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky
Originally posted by: alchemize

How in the hell did that get past an editor?

The last time I checked, a columnist writes opinions.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I have watched C-Span where a Polititian drones on and on in an empty room,
I have seen them use their 'Distinguished Gentleman' empty and pompus rhetoric.
Potty Mouth ? I'm pretty sure that both sides are either as guilty of blamless as the other.
I don't understand why the voting public won't take them to task for their lies and deceipt,
and dump their sorry asses out of office.

As to the 'Aledged' ****sucker comment, it still dosen't appear in the ORIGINAL ARTICLE
no mater how many supporting links you post, not in Paragraph 5 or Paragragh 8.
It was in a different article altogether - that's a fact.

alchemize

Lifer
Mar 24, 2000
I have watched C-Span where a Polititian drones on and on in an empty room,
I have seen them use their 'Distinguished Gentleman' empty and pompus rhetoric.
Potty Mouth ? I'm pretty sure that both sides are either as guilty of blamless as the other.
I don't understand why the voting public won't take them to task for their lies and deceipt,
and dump their sorry asses out of office.

Just checking to make sure you were non-partisan on this one :) It does sound like 2 school kids having a fight in homeroom.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Interesting.

This article seems biased, but in contrast the Fox article is also. There should be an arternate news source, one that just shows a video of the event rather than a "report". Did CSPAN catch this?

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
I don't think that I'm actually partisan on anything here, polarized yes. but not partisan.
Nor bigot. I can dislike anything and anyone seprately but equally.
I offer my viewpoint based on what I like and what I loath from my life experience.
I am loathsome of what our self serving polititians have elevated themselvs to -
as they no longer serve their constiruents, and are only loyal ro those who pay for their services,
until a higher bidder comes along with more mega-bucks for their coffers.

Every couple years they pander to the public with false adds designed only to make
the voter hate the opponent more than they hate the candidate.
The record that they try to stand on is failure, and they only offer a continuance
of this failure while posturing on how helpfull they have been to 'YOUR NAME HERE"
substitue eldery, young, poor, working, union, Mediocre 'Merica' for YOUR NAME HERE.
boilerplate politics with no fresh ideas, only picking an issue to death before passing.

When important issues can be set aside for years and pushed under the table by procedure
then surfaced again 4 - 6 - 8 years latter by the same party that prevented it before, to be
used as a great show of acheivement is a hoax on the country. The egotistical mind games
being played by our alledged 'Leadedship' is nothing more than smoke, mirrors, and grandstanding.
I see no candidate that I feel is worth my vote in either party for a position of responsibility.

I currently am watching what this deceitful administration is doing, and after all the hoopla that they
put out about honesty, integrity, and responsability - I think we've all been had.
There is nothing that this Administration has done since 9/11 that was right or responsible -
with the exception of the counterstrike on Afganistan, which had become a hell-hole because of our neglect.

The Afganistan of the Pre-Soviet invasion was a cultural model of sucess in the area, and we spen a fortune
aiding the resistance especially Bin Laden's Mujadeen fighters. After the Solviet defeat and withdrawal from
Afganistan, we turned our backs - militarily and ecconomically - and walked away, allowing the rise of
the Taliban, and the changing of allegiance of Bin Laden. He began stalking us for revenge of our rejection.

Iraq is the Headliner today, and Afganistan is in the corner of the Ballroom, waiting for the next dance.
Our history in the area - except for Israel is arrogance and exploitation, and we get a double resentment for that.
They dislike us for our policies with them, hate us for our favoring Israel - and we have paid Isreal through Military Aid
to beat them down and keep them subservent - in their own lands. We aren't overly loved there, reguardless of what
Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Dubya say. No pass to Clinton either.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: sandorski
Interesting.

This article seems biased, but in contrast the Fox article is also. There should be an arternate news source, one that just shows a video of the event rather than a "report". Did CSPAN catch this?

That would be funny:D Kinda like catching the Cali Dems broadcasting their budget plot.:p

Actually I think it'd be even more entertaining to see Oreily and Franken both referee this thing :D

Priceless:D

CkG

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: sandorski
Interesting.

That would be funny:D Kinda like catching the Cali Dems broadcasting their budget plot.:p

Actually I think it'd be even more entertaining to see Oreily and Franken both referee this thing :D

Priceless:D

CkG

I'd bet there is a video of both happenings. I agree, it'd be quite entertaining, thoug disturbing at the same time.

Cpt Kirk is right though, US election "campaigns" have horribly gone awry. The same POS ads and "issues" are slowly being adopted here in Canada as well, those using such tactics should be b1tchslapped.