Waterproof padlocks ?

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Is there such a thing ? i'm looking for a basic pad lock to lock up the shed. unfortunately nearly all locks on amazon says does not last in rain? I use a master lock and i see it rust already. Just suffer with any lock ?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
There are water resistant ones. But it is probably easier to keep replacing them.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Is there such a thing ? i'm looking for a basic pad lock to lock up the shed. unfortunately nearly all locks on amazon says does not last in rain? I use a master lock and i see it rust already. Just suffer with any lock ?

You slit a pop bottle and slip it over the padlock to keep it dry, replace as necessary.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Abloy padlock, IP68 rated for continuous submersion. :cool:

(I have no idea if it's good or not. I just searched for "IP68 padlock.";) Case-harded steel, zinc-plated, then polyester coated. If the polyester gets damaged and the zinc plating gets eaten away, it'll rust. I guess they didn't go with stainless because of the strength difference and cost?)

It still amazes me how many things in outdoor applications are just zinc-plated or black oxide-coated plain steel rather than some grade of stainless.

Some gas stations in the area use steel trim around the pump islands. The ones that have painted steel look lousy: Anywhere the paint gets nicked, it starts rusting the steel quickly (I'm in the "Rust Belt" part of the country), and then it spreads and bubbles off more paint.
A few have started using stainless steel, and it looks like it's holding up quite well.
(Stainless still isn't invulnerable. Basic 18-8 or 304, especially with a rough surface texture, will not hold up well when constantly exposed to saltwater. 316 with a smooth finish will do much better, but it costs even more than 304.)

Pay for it now, or pay for it several times later.

I remember hearing in college that 2-3% of US GDP is vaporized every year due to corrosion. Painful.

Last edited:

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
You could opt for the options in post #4, or buy some security screws and screw the door shut. :) Mind you that will be a real PITA to open and close all the time.

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
We buy Abloy's at work (Pacific Northwest) for outdoor use. I doubt they'll last forever but we haven't fried one in years. They are expensive tho, but better than having to cut locks off.