Waterpik vs flossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Alright, so, are they equivalent or what? Waterpik looks easy and dooable. Flossing is a bitch. (Especially since I have a retainer bracket on my bottom teeth)

mjrpes3

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2004
They both seem to have their strengths, although that's just my gut.

Flossing takes less than two minutes. Waterpik takes a little longer, one you add in time for warming up the water, filling, putting it next to the sink, etc. I also have to refill the tank halfway through. So I floss every (well, most every) day; waterpik on the weekends.

I am happy using both.

Aluvus

Platinum Member
Apr 27, 2006
The Waterpik is a bit of a hassle, and tends to throw water everywhere. And valid or not, it doesn't "feel" as clean. So I just floss most days.

However, there have been times when my gums get inflamed due to something being stuck between tooth and gum. Once they are inflamed, floss can't do much good. But the Waterpik can knock loose the foreign body, and all is well again soon after. This alone was worth the purchase price.

It was also helpful when I had a temporary crown, and couldn't floss around that tooth for a few weeks.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
brush twice a day, floss every other day or twice a week, and mouthwash w/ hydrogen peroxide once a week. and u should be good.

OBLAMA2009

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2008
waterpik isnt goint to remove plaque from your teeth. it may wash acids from under your gumline, but to remove plaque you still need to floss

Last edited:

hellfreeze

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2001
I asked one dentist, and he said flossing was better. I asked another dentist, and he said that the Waterpik is better. I think that sums up the debate in a nutshell.

That said, I do like the Waterpik, and I do use it more often than floss.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
If you sit down while water skiing, in a thong, you can do both at the same time.

nboy22

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2002
As others have said it's kinda messy at times. Also it does take a lot longer. I usually end up doing 3 different things, brushing, tongue scraping and then the traditional waterpik. After that and flossing I usually feel like I have just been to the dentist, but it seems to take like 10-15 minutes because of all the fill ups and changing heads, etc...

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I floss and use waterpik with diluted mouthwash in one tank and water in the other.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I use a floss piks, way better than both cause its easy and quick. I floss 2-3 times a day with them, don't get drool all over, and can reach the back teeth unlike with regular floss.

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I really need to start flossing. I rarely do it (usually right before I have an appointment) and my dentist bitches at me.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
I floss once a day.

Someone above said you are supposed to floss every other day or twice a week.

Am I flossing too often?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I looked up wtf waterpik is. There is no way that can replace the scraping power of flossing.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I floss once a day.

Someone above said you are supposed to floss every other day or twice a week.

Am I flossing too often?

You can't floss too much. Flossing every other day or twice a week is terrible advice.

It takes less than 12 hours for meat to start rotting in an environment like your mouth. Next time you eat stringy meat like chicken or pork, wait 48 hours, floss a nice chunk out from between your teeth and smell it.

You will be utterly disgusted. This is what your breath smells like.

Status
Not open for further replies.