Water heater craps out less than 3 years old

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
This is why we rent ours. They don't seem to last very long. You do end up spending more in the long run but if it goes, they'll just come and replace it at no extra cost.

I am renting mine as well. It's not very old though which is nice.. I think its like 07 if memory serves. Maybe even newer.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Flush your water heaters yearly, check the anode regularly and replace as needed, use magnesium anodes.

/thread

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I am renting mine as well. It's not very old though which is nice.. I think its like 07 if memory serves. Maybe even newer.

I've found they last between 5-10 years. Usually the bottom welds that give out on them. It never gets flushed though, mind you we've got it hooked up to soft water.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Ours died in the past year, started leaking. It was a rental, so we got ir swapped within a year. Think the old one lasted a good 10 years or more.

We thought the new one was busted because it didn't heat the water up within 5 hours of installing to a noticeable temperature. In the morning, it worked... yay patience.