waldoh

Mar 3, 2013
What is the lifespan of water cooling parts? Is it buy once, cry once?

I should be able to keep the radiator, fittings, fans, res and pump for multiple computer rebuilds/upgrades, right? (unless something like a fan or the pump randomly dies of coarse)

The only thing that changes is the gpu block and cpu block from computer to computer?

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
My experience is that pumps last 3-5 years, tubing clouds up after 1-2 years but still works, and everything else lasts indefinitely. In the past, watercooling blocks eventually quit fitting sockets, but things haven't been changing much lately.

That said, a high-end air cooler performs on-par with the best AiO coolers, and even custom loops do little better. Watercooling became popular back when heatsinks were basically hunks of copper with fins, but heatpipes changed the game and made watercooling more of a novelty than a necessity. Plus, CPUs draw less and less power with each generation.

Reactions: MongGrel

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've always toyed with the idea of making a high end water loop.

But even spending a little more money on an above average air cooler has made more sense than even an AIO to me, for long term, and perform as well and longer, unless you get into esoteric ranges.

Replacing fans with some that are low db/higher airflow and having a case with decent airflow has always worked in my book I guess.

Just my two cents, works a lot longer and a lot less hassle.

My current ancient main rig with a X5680 OC'd

ajJnwVI.jpg

And an even older HTPC rig with a X5650 OC'd, the Noctua fans are over 10 year old and still run fine.

The copper cooler is almost a museum peice these days I imagine :)

jNiacsS.jpg

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If you use distilled water it will likely last a bit longer than if you use lime-laden tap water like we have in AZ.