Water Cooling, flow rate question

Nov 9, 2005
i bought a complete system from Koolance with 10mm ID
everything is ok, except the waterblock for cooling SB chip, the CHC-125
here is the picture
http://www.koolance.com/water-...es/more/chc-125_p2.jpg

as you can see, it has a 360 rotational sockets, but the ID of the socket is only 6.5mm

the rest of the blocks, CPU, NB, GPU, HD, all have 10mm ID nozzles

how will that block CHC-125 affect my flow rate?

i have their exos-2.5 external system, CPU block, GPU, SB,NB, 2 HD blocks and all the
nozzles are 3/8" 10mm ID, and the tubing is 3/8' ID.

how should i design the loops? shall i just go with single loop? what is the ideal loop order?

thanks so much

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Your SB block is restrictive, yes, but your other blocks and tubing size aren't designed for high-flow anyway. Can your pump get you to 1-1.5 GPM, what's its rating? You'll do fine as long as your don't expect balls-to-the-wall performance. I prefer single loop coolers for their simplicity and the fact that as long as your exchanger is large and well-blown your temps will be good. As far as component order, it doesn't really matter all that much. Liguid moves thermal energy so quickly that the temp difference between blocks is tiny. Plumb for ease and shortness of the circuit and you'll be good.

GundamF91

Golden Member
May 14, 2001
Yeah, I've found that simplicity is better for water flow. One key part is using the right length tubes, if too long, it's wasteful, if too short, it can crinkle or cause hard angles.

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Exactly. Shoot for the sweet spot when it comes to tubing runs. If you have a large case with lots of blocks, plumb as you need to and if required compensate with a more powerful pump(s).

Nov 9, 2005
thanks for the replies, guys

the pump is Pump, PMP-400,
# Maximum Flow Rate: 8.5 L/min (2.25 gal/min)
# Maximum Head Pressure: 4.6m (15ft)
# Motor: Brushless DC, electronically commutated, spherical motor
# Power Consumption (at max): 18W

my hardware, C2D Extreme 2.93GHZ, Geforce 8800GTX 768MB, ASUS Striker Extreme, 2 WD Raptor 250GB not raided.

these are the stuff which i want to WC.

my current plan is GPU > CPU > MVRs >NB > SB > HDs

what you guys think?

HardWarrior

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2004
Your pump is fine! That's a load of load, though. What rad are you planning on using?

Edit, if you haven't already, please consider an aftermarket top for your pump. Doing so is an easy way of stealing more performance from the DDC design.

Nov 9, 2005
it is an external kit, exos 2.5
info is here http://www.koolance.com/water-...nfo.php?product_id=668 , pump, rad, fan control are built into 1 single unit which sits on top of a case.

i have hooked up all the components, and currently running it at the lowest speed. but the air bubbles just cant get out.

i filled the reservior about 1.5CM away from the top, and i can still the reservior making water flow sound

Nov 9, 2005
so far, i am running a mini loop outside of my case. i accidentally fried my mobo and am still waiting for the replacement via warranty

im confused by those 3 fans on the top. it looks like those fans are gonna blow air downward because the directions of the blades, but in fact, they are blowing upward.