Water Block Results on GTX 760

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
So I finally had a chance to test out my new Alphacool waterblocks on my EVGA 760's...Wow, I had no idea they would dissipate that amount of thermal energy!

On my bench with the stock cooler I was hitting low 70's. With the water block I'm in the mid 30's when I hammer the GPU, and upper 30's with the CPU hammered at the same time.

Now I'm asking myself why I waited so long to do this...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Better statement would be why i ignored aigo all these years.

I have been making claims about 50% reduction overall for how many years now?

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Better statement would be why i ignored aigo all these years.

I have been making claims about 50% reduction overall for how many years now?

For as long as I've been on this Forum my friend...

Additionally, my bench is only running one 45mm XSPC 240 Rad in Pull @ 1000rpm!!!

Last edited:

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Ambient is 21.7 C

My 680's idle at 26 C

Playing Arma 3 (gets loads up to 99% most of the time) gets an initial temperature of 33 C under load
After 10 minutes of gameplay temperature is 38 C.

Its important with water temperatures to load the cores up for a time period as it takes a while for the water to warm up and reach its equilibrium. Loops with lower amounts of radiator dissipation perform well initially but will climb over time as they have high overall difference in water temperature to ambient which is what allows them to still work, all be it with higher average temperatures. My loop is specced for around 7 C or so maximum delta and we can see that in the initial load temperate (33) and the subsequent climb to about +5C of that (38C). Since Arma 3 doesn't max out the CPU this is what limits the peak temperature as the system is 100% used.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Ambient is 21.7 C

My 680's idle at 26 C

Playing Arma 3 (gets loads up to 99% most of the time) gets an initial temperature of 33 C under load
After 10 minutes of gameplay temperature is 38 C.

Its important with water temperatures to load the cores up for a time period as it takes a while for the water to warm up and reach its equilibrium. Loops with lower amounts of radiator dissipation perform well initially but will climb over time as they have high overall difference in water temperature to ambient which is what allows them to still work, all be it with higher average temperatures. My loop is specced for around 7 C or so maximum delta and we can see that in the initial load temperate (33) and the subsequent climb to about +5C of that (38C). Since Arma 3 doesn't max out the CPU this is what limits the peak temperature as the system is 100% used.

Understood. I only hammered the system for 10 minutes for the above temps, and only one gpu installed on the loop. I'm excited to get the system back into my rig as I've added Black Ice SR1-420 and an Alphacool NexXxoS 240, both with low fpi's. I'm hoping for a maximum delta of 10c as I'm running low rpm fans to keep it quiet.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
I have 2 360 rads on rig 1 below and my 670s run at 29 c and 31 c idle and 41 c and 50C when maxed for a long time. Water cooling really DOES affect gpu temps.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
I have 2 360 rads on rig 1 below and my 670s run at 29 c and 31 c idle and 41 c and 50C when maxed for a long time. Water cooling really DOES affect gpu temps.

I really can't wait to finish this rig...the only thing holding me up now is tubing. I picked up some Primoflex LRT and it is so stiff...had to heat it to get it over the compression fittings and is not very forgiving...I'm going to play with it some more tonight but most likely I'll have to order some Tygon again...it's just the best!

Here is a pic of the Alphacool Water Block and here is the naked gpu

Last edited:

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
Not sure why you didn't trade up to a 780 if you're going water.

1 block is cheaper than 2.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Not sure why you didn't trade up to a 780 if you're going water.

1 block is cheaper than 2.

780 air is $550, and water is $700.
NexXus full waterblocks cost me $140ea.

Now add in that two 760's in SLI will perform above a 780...easy choice for me.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I liked the cooling potential of water, but as I mentioned in another thread, I just didn't care much for the extra hassle of water cooling. I like to mess with my PCs -- more often than I probably should! -- and swapping out a GPU goes from a 10 minute affair on air to an hour or longer on water (depends a lot on your setup).

I actually have an EVGA GTX 780 HydroCopper that I still need to sell. It came with the water block from the manufacturer, so no need to ever remove it for warranty purposes.

Anyway, I think what I'd really like to see are manufacturers consider making more of the AIO coolers for GPUs. They aren't as good as custom water cooling, but they're a ton less hassle.

Tweakin

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2000
I'm into water for the peace and quiet it brings...until I first put my cpu on water I never realized how loud my gpu's were! Took 2 years to finally decide to put them under water also...I'm slow!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I liked the cooling potential of water, but as I mentioned in another thread, I just didn't care much for the extra hassle of water cooling. I like to mess with my PCs -- more often than I probably should! -- and swapping out a GPU goes from a 10 minute affair on air to an hour or longer on water (depends a lot on your setup).

how to swap water gpu in under 5 min. (on my old setup)

1. Get Quick Disconnects..
IMG_1270.jpg

2. Add tissue around quick disconnects.
IMG_1263.jpg

3. Pull Quick disconnects.
IMG_1264.jpg

4. Pull GPU
IMG_1309.jpg

5. Reinstall GPU
IMG_1267.jpg

6. Reinstall QDC and Rebleed
IMG_1270.jpg

:)

So umm i bet u i can change my GPU's just as fast as you can on AIR.

:)

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm into water for the peace and quiet it brings...until I first put my cpu on water I never realized how loud my gpu's were! Took 2 years to finally decide to put them under water also...I'm slow!

I think a lot of it also depends on the air cooler that you use on your GPU. I don't think I can ever go back to the standard blower coolers as they're just simply too loud. I use a Gigabyte Windforce right now, and it works pretty well.

Honestly, I think what was making my system seem really noisy was probably the fans on the top. I had a radiator up there when I was water cooling and I used to have fans up there while I was air cooling, and it never seemed as quiet as I wanted it. I reworked my build, which included moving my 140mm fans down to the bottom to help pull in air for the GPU (I wish I had some sort of device to redirect the air better :(), and now it's a lot quieter.

how to swap water gpu in under 5 min. (on my old setup)

1. Get Quick Disconnects..

Yeah, I considered putting quick disconnects at the places where I've had to pull components often (CPU and GPU), but the problem is... quick disconnects are (relatively) huge. I most likely would've had some trouble fitting a quick disconnect below my GPU, and I know it would've been futile if I tried it when I was running SLI. Also, it never would've worked with between my CPU and radiator.

I also mentioned this in another thread, but quick disconnects are rather pricey! :p It costs about $24 per set! :eek:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

You're slow?! I haven't got my feet "wet" yet on the essential CPU focus!!

Some years back -- and it's probably a worn-out topic -- I had created a foam-board duct custom-molded to two things: my TRUE CPU cooler, and a similar thermalright heatpipe unit for the GPU that curves up and over the GFX card to the back side of the card -- just clearing the TRUE. Tried an experiment of putting a Zalman OP-1 (92x15mm) fan in the duct interior to suck air off the VGA cooler fins and drawing air from the VGA front-side.

I can't remember precisely which stress-test software I used, but it specifically stressed the graphics card. Temperatures peaked at maybe 42C, when the same cooler with more conventional airflow (still using the OP-1) were above 55C, and the stock VGA would move closer to 70C-something.

But you can't beat water . . .