Watch Matrix again, not as good, and HUGE plot hole

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
Watched it again the other night. Still cool, but not as cool as I remember it. Probably because going into the movie I had no idea what it was about and it was shocking and revolutionary.

However, I noticed a HUGE plot hole. To go into the Matrix, someone had to put you under (plugs to back of head) and bring you back out again (via phone call). But Sypher (the bad guy) went into the Matrix a couple times to meet with the agents, himself only. Seemingly no one on the ship helped him (and all were good guys and would not help him). How did the producer/director overlook this ginormous plot hole???

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
giphy.gif

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I would have gone with the biggest plot hole being feeding the dead to the living. After enough times no calories would be left to power your copper tops thanks to entropy. So food would have to be produced somewhere.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I own the Matrix box set. Love that movie. Greatest Sci-Fi film in my book. No, I don't give a shit about Star Wars and Star Trek. The Matrix is a mathematical commutation of a hybrid of the Terminator. Neo, was the sum of an imbalanced equation. There were two of his programs before him. The third, as we see in the movie was a hell of a lot different.

Pulsar

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2003
I own the Matrix box set. Love that movie. Greatest Sci-Fi film in my book. No, I don't give a shit about Star Wars and Star Trek. The Matrix is a mathematical commutation of a hybrid of the Terminator. Neo, was the sum of an imbalanced equation. There were two of his programs before him. The third, as we see in the movie was a hell of a lot different.

There were far more than two before him.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
However, I noticed a HUGE plot hole. To go into the Matrix, someone had to put you under (plugs to back of head) and bring you back out again (via phone call). But Sypher (the bad guy) went into the Matrix a couple times to meet with the agents, himself only. Seemingly no one on the ship helped him (and all were good guys and would not help him). How did the producer/director overlook this ginormous plot hole???

In the scene immediately preceding this, Cypher is sitting in front of three monitors showing the Matrix in an encoded format. I assumed that he communicated with the agents through that feed, and the scene in the restaurant just dressed up a scene that was basically him typing at a terminal. The only thing that doesn't quite add up with that opinion is that he eats steak and talks about that he prefers basically a better-tasting simulation to reality, but as it lines up his motivation nicely and I think alternatives would have been rather more awkward, it doesn't really bother me.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012

Dude those movies are shit, just like anything on TV ever was. Matrix was surely better than Terminator in comparison but otherwise I don't get anyone who can even watch that stuff after their teen years, it's beyond my understanding. And those were kind of prime examples but the list of crap movies would be endless. Ultra-violent meaningless action, plot story so poorly constructed that your head hurts when you just think about it.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
T2: Judgement Day?
T2 is obviously excellent. And it holds up. For a movie made in 1991, it absolutely is in the same conversation as The Matrix (1999).

But more importantly,

They're rebooting The Matrix http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/14/14930638/the-matrix-reboot-remake-movie

The Matrix is getting a remake. That’s according to The Hollywood Reporter, which says that Warner Bros. is in the early stages of developing a rebooted version of the 1999 cyberpunk classic, with Creed star Michael B. Jordan as the potential headliner.

MICHAEL B. JORDAN IS REPORTEDLY IN TALKS TO STAR
Zak Penn is currently in talks to write a treatment for the reboot, The Hollywood Reporter claims. Penn is best known for his script work on several superhero movies, providing story assistance for other established writers on X-Men: The Last Stand, The Avengers, and Elektra. Jordan, too, has yet to formally commit to the project (which is itself in early stages), but is reportedly in talks for a major role.

Michael B Jordan is awesome. Creed is phenomenal - a must watch. I really hope that if this happens it doesn't turn into a stupid marvel movie.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I would have gone with the biggest plot hole being feeding the dead to the living. After enough times no calories would be left to power your copper tops thanks to entropy. So food would have to be produced somewhere.
This is how I have always felt. I had hoped the story would fix that in the sequels and say the machines were actually using the humans' extra brain capacity for their own collective processing power. They didn't fix it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Matrix 2 and 3 are in the top 3 or 5 of worst movies ever made. It makes it easy to forgot that Matrix 1 was fairly decent.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This is how I have always felt. I had hoped the story would fix that in the sequels and say the machines were actually using the humans' extra brain capacity for their own collective processing power. They didn't fix it.

Supposedly that was the Wachowski's original plan but the producers thought it would be too hard for the average movie goer to understand. :confused_old:

Matrix 2 and 3 are in the top 3 or 5 of worst movies ever made. It makes it easy to forgot that Matrix 1 was fairly decent.

2 and 3 May have been something of a let down, but I still think the Merovingian fight scene was one of the best Hollywood movie fights choreographed ever.

He fights multiple baddies at the same time and even when they are coming at him serially it's mostly because he's manipulated the fight to have a few seconds take a guy one on one.

Contrast that with contemporary yet laughably bad fight choreography in Blade II

20 guys show up and wait their turn to be dispatched by Blade, one by one, who stands in a big circle and doesn't move much.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
I always thought the sequels were unfairly panned.

It had this interesting idea in it that the system has controlled/allowed opposition.

Weirdly enough, both Wachowski brothers are now trans. Even the big bald masculine one.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Watched it again the other night. Still cool, but not as cool as I remember it. Probably because going into the movie I had no idea what it was about and it was shocking and revolutionary.

Well maybe the reboot will fix those problems.
https://arstechnica.com/the-multiverse/2017/03/get-ready-for-the-matrix-reboot/

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Supposedly that was the Wachowski's original plan but the producers thought it would be too hard for the average movie goer to understand. :confused_old:

2 and 3 May have been something of a let down, but I still think the Merovingian fight scene was one of the best Hollywood movie fights choreographed ever.

what choreographed? wasn't it 90% cartoon? :D Granted, I don't remember much of it, because I was sitting in that theater trying to figure out wtf was happening in front of me, reevaluating my life and the poor life decisions, possibly some mental illness, that led up to the notion on my part to go the theater that day to see Matrix 2. It was a very bad day. :(

Reactions: Paratus

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010

Nevermind the fact that they claimed to use us as an energy source - which would not be possible unless there was an outside source of energy being fed into the system. If there was, the machines would have used that.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Nevermind the fact that they claimed to use us as an energy source - which would not be possible unless there was an outside source of energy being fed into the system. If there was, the machines would have used that.

Yup that was my point.

However, Morpheus says, and I quote, "Combined with a form of fusion the machines had found all the power they would ever need".

So they had another power source. The whole people power idea was clunky and supposedly not the original idea.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013

You got to be kidding me. Taking this way too literally. The battery thing is brilliant in how human existence has been reduced to a horror.