Watch Dogs 2 has poor CPU optimization?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
And this is why I'm still using a 5930K @ 3.7GHz. Open world games render a lot of the stuff onscreen through the CPU rather than GPU. Same with the original Watch Dogs, same with the Witcher 3.
Since I like to play open world games, I'll keep this in mind when deciding the CPU for my next build in two or three years.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
And this is why I'm still using a 5930K @ 3.7GHz. Open world games render a lot of the stuff onscreen through the CPU rather than GPU. Same with the original Watch Dogs, same with the Witcher 3.

No they don't. The GPU is drawing everything. Unless you mean they're doing most of the frame preparation and culling on the CPU? Well, I think most games still have CPU driven renderers, so that doesn't mean much.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
No they don't. The GPU is drawing everything. Unless you mean they're doing most of the frame preparation and culling on the CPU? Well, I think most games still have CPU driven renderers, so that doesn't mean much.

Yes they do. Especially the AI and phsyics, combined here with the Extra Details settings which deliberately hammers the CPU to render more detail and more distance.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
Yes they do. Especially the AI and phsyics, combined here with the Extra Details settings which deliberately hammers the CPU to render more detail and more distance.

Yes, more draw calls, which are CPU heavy. The GPU is still drawing everything.

Last edited: