Wasilla forced rape victims to pay for rape tests on Palin's watch

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Under Palin, Wasilla charged rape victims for exam

Alaska already has the highest rape rate in the nation

Eight years ago, complaints about charging rape victims for medical exams in Wasilla prompted the Alaska Legislature to pass a bill -- signed into law by Knowles -- that banned the practice statewide.

"There was one town in Alaska that was charging victims for this, and that was Wasilla,"

Guess who was mayor at the time ?

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Wow! that 30 member special dirt digup sqad of BHO is really paying off...

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
I don't like her either, but these threads are getting more and more ridiculous. There are many legitimate things to criticize her about and this is what occupies your mind?

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

Considering she does not want to allow abortions, even in cases of rape

and this shows she want to limit abilites to prove rape occured

This seems to correlate

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I wouldn't be surprised if they were the only town in the country to charge a rape victim for a rape test.

Truly abominable.

$20 million in debt for a hockey mom's sports complex, but no money to give rape victims the care they need without making them choose between financial burden and justice?

Sarah Palin: for a woman's right to pay for her own rape test.

Oct 30, 2004

Librariangate, Troopergate, and now...Rapegate?

If this is true and if it gets out amongst the wider media, it could put the kabash on the women's vote (though some men's movement types might like it).

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

If this is true and if it gets out amongst the wider media, it could put the kabash on the women's vote (though some men's movement types might like it).

She might not be vetted, but, by god, she'll be the most 'gated VP of all time!

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000

All three defensive responses are "Hey, you're picking on her! Like a pack of wolves!"

Typical talking points position.

Does anyone in her defense have a legitimate reason why this should have been
allowed ot occur ?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
With a 30% chance McCain won't live through his first term, I would say we need to know what she is all about.

Especially considering she's incapable of speaking the truth about her record, is afraid to sit down for an interview, and is now hiding emails about her abuse of power.

Well, that's change that I CAN believe in.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Politics is politics and digging up dirt is business as usual so I view this kind of stuff lightly for the most part. However, the part that does puts a bad taste in my mouth that is worse than usual is the amount of dirt that they have dug up combined with how quickly they managed to come up with it. I am sure there are plenty of bent truths and missing parts of the story floating around amongst the news as usual to build up hysteria and ratings, but the more you dig up the more serious concerns will be found as well.

Palin just doesn't look good. It is starting to become too much for me to overlook.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
This was on CNN last night. Can't say its a major thing, but it is interesting insight into what she thinks. Can't say it's positive either.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Xavier434
That's really messed up if it is true.

Yup. Pretty disgusting actually. Not even related to the Abortion issue, but Justice related.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: andy04
Wow! that 30 member special dirt digup sqad of BHO is really paying off...
Originally posted by: BeauJangles
I don't like her either, but these threads are getting more and more ridiculous. There are many legitimate things to criticize her about and this is what occupies your mind?
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
The crack squad of dirt diggers is really earning their keep! ;)
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
hahaha , I must say, you frothies are entertaining when you're all riled up! :laugh:
So you're okay making a rape victim pay for their rape test?

Just checking.

Oct 30, 2004

You have to wonder why she would support something like this. Do you think that, secretly, she believes that if a woman gets raped it's because she encouraged it (dressing provocatively, etc.) or wanted it in some sort of a way?

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: winnar111
Originally posted by: ayabe
With a 30% chance McCain won't live through his first term, I would say we need to know what she is all about.

Proof?

Text

"but a look at the actuarial tables insurance companies use to evaluate customers shows that it?s not an irrelevant one. According to these statistics, there is a roughly 1-in-3 chance that a 72-year-old man will not reach the age of 80, which is how old McCain would be at the end of a second presidential term. And that doesn?t factor in individual medical history, such as McCain?s battles with potentially lethal skin cancer.

?For a man, that?s above the expected lifetime at the present,? said Michael Powers, a professor of risk management and insurance at Temple University?s Fox School of Business.

The odds of a 72-year-old man living four more years, or one full White House term, are better. But for a man who has lived 72 years and 67 days (McCain?s age on Election Day this year), there is between a 14.2 and 15.1 percent chance of dying before Inauguration Day in 2013, according to the Social Security Administration?s 2004 actuarial tables and the authoritative 2001 mortality statistics assembled by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners."

I stand corrected, it's around ~15% if you remove the recurring cancer component.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

You have to wonder why she would support something like this. Do you think that, secretly, she believes that if a woman gets raped it's because she encouraged it (dressing provocatively, etc.) or wanted it in some sort of a way?

Perhaps not, it could have been just some misguided attempt at Fiscal Discipline. Rather poor choice if it was.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Pens1566
This was on CNN last night. Can't say its a major thing, but it is interesting insight into what she thinks. Can't say it's positive either.

I think "heartless" is a good word for it.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Originally posted by: Pens1566

I think "heartless" is a good word for it.

I was thinking "compassionate conservative" myself ....

Really, what is a valid reason for this idea???

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I wonder how much frothing from the mouth that sucks form the messiah we will get till someone does even a rudimentary search and discovers just how many places do this.

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Wasn't aware, this sparked a nationwide law
to outlaw the practice

USA Today article

Joe Biden and Barack Obama voted for it.
McCain voted agaisnt it.

Nationally, victims' advocates have for years reported scattered instances of rape victims being required to pay for their forensic tests, says Ilse Knecht of the National Center for Victims of Crime in Washington. Those complaints have subsided somewhat after Congress in 2005 passed a law requiring states to provide rape exams free of charge or reimburse victims for the costs, says Knecht, whose group supported the provision.

"The reason we passed the legislation was that we saw it was prevalent enough to be a pretty considerable problem," Knecht says. "There are no other victims of crime that end up being billed for evidence collection."

The Senate version of the legislation that included the rape-exam provision was sponsored by Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware, the Democratic vice presidential nominee. Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama was one of 58 co-sponsors; Republican presidential nominee John McCain was not.