Jun 24, 2003
http://www.washingtonpost.com/...5/AR2007121501678.html

GUN AMNESTY PROGRAM
Police Net 279 Firearms With Buyback
Event at Churches Lures Owners Ready to Trade Old Weapons for Holiday Cash

By Delphine Schrank
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, December 16, 2007; Page C06

For $100 and the prospect of some cash in hand for Christmas shopping, Levaun Dicks marched into the basement of Union Temple Baptist Church in Southeast Washington yesterday and handed a police officer a plastic bag containing a loaded 9mm Makarov semiautomatic pistol.

"It was lying in my dad's shed," said Dicks, 31, of Fort Washington, who was recently laid off from a real estate company. "It wasn't needed, and I need the money."

Dicks was among scores of Washington area residents to participate yesterday in the D.C. police department's gun amnesty program. Held at three churches -- officers had hoped the non-threatening setting would lure people who might be intimidated by having to head into a police station -- residents were offered $100 for assault-type rifles or semiautomatic pistols, $50 for revolvers, derringers, shotguns and rifles, and $10 for air, BB and pellet guns.

The buyback netted 279 firearms yesterday in return for $14,450.

The program takes place against a backdrop of gun violence in the city. As of Friday, the District had 176 homicides this year, compared with 169 for all of 2006. Robberies and assaults with guns are also up in many neighborhoods.

D.C. police have recovered more than 10,000 guns in the past five years in the city, despite having one of the strictest gun laws in the country. The District's law essentially bans private handgun ownership and requires that rifles and shotguns kept in private homes be unloaded and disassembled or outfitted with a trigger lock. The law, which is being challenged by advocates who say it violates Second Amendment rights, will be reviewed next year by the U.S. Supreme Court.

Police have held other guns-for-cash exchanges in recent years, including one at three police stations in September 2006 that netted 337 firearms in return for $16,700. This year, said police Cmdr. Joel Maupin, the District allocated $100,000 for the buyback.

At Shiloh Baptist Church in Northwest, 81 guns cluttered the bottoms of three giant cardboard boxes by midday, as a middle-aged man with a semiautomatic wrapped in plastic walked up to policemen on watch outside the church.

In the basement of Union Temple Baptist Church, behind panels decorated with children's crayoned drawings of candy canes and cotton-wool snowscapes, police officers mingled near a table covered with more than 30 firearms, from palm-size semiautomatics and revolvers with dainty pearl-handle grips to shotguns and hunting rifles.

As in the past, police took the guns with no questions asked. They planned to test-fire them and gather ballistics evidence. Investigators will determine whether the guns can be linked to any crimes. Guns that have been cleared will be destroyed.

"We don't really expect people involved in criminal activity" to hand in their weapons, said Maupin, who heads the 7th Police District in Southeast. "But every weapon we get is one less that could be used against an owner or anyone in the street. It's important to get any weapon off the street."

Maupin said the majority of buybacks were from citizens who had little use for their firearms.

"I was holding onto it for sentimental reasons," said Charlotte McGutherie, 59, of the pearl-handled, .30-caliber, five-shot revolver that had fallen into her possession when her mother died in 1985. For years it had lain stashed away in a basement filing cabinet.

Ernest Austin, 53, of Silver Spring said he bought his Davis .380 semiautomatic -- small enough for slipping into a breast pocket -- 10 years ago for $100 for home protection. He'd never had to use it, he said, and kept it locked away in a closet. But in recent years, he grew concerned that his two children, 15 and 12, might get their hands on it.

Handing over a 12-gauge shotgun and a shopping bag bulging with ammunition, Wanda Brooks, 56, of Oxon Hill also said she felt uncomfortable having a weapon hidden in a closet within reach of seven roaming grandchildren. The gun had belonged to her partner, who used it to hunt before he died last year.

A police officer handed her a $50 bill. She looked at it a moment and, with a smile, said, "I'm going to buy a Christmas tree."

First of all, how the heck did all of these people have ILLEGAL guns in Washington DC. And how have they seized 10,000 guns this year when they're clearly illegal? I mean, don't gun control laws work?

Second, these people are all FELONS. They possess illegal property in a place where it is clearly illegal. I don't see them having a heroin turn in day. Or a dead body buyback.

Third, how telling is this part:
"We don't really expect people involved in criminal activity" to hand in their weapons, said Maupin, who heads the 7th Police District in Southeast. "But every weapon we get is one less that could be used against an owner or anyone in the street. It's important to get any weapon off the street."

How about yours officer? Let's get it off the street, clearly it's not doing any good. You're too busy admittedly disarming the good people instead of out on the street catching the bad guys. :Disgust;

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Nebor, how about you and I draft a new bill for congress. In this bill we divert funds from other government agencies to make sure that every person that turns 21, that is not a felon, receives a state issued 9mm hand gun. Just need one of those catchy acronyms and I'm sure the gun lobbyists will be in full force behind us :)

Heh, instead of "Universal healthcare" it would be "Universal hand guns".

TV ad - "A gun for everyone!"

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Heroin buybacks sound like a great idea. ;)

edit:
Originally posted by: Marlin1975
YANeborLovesGunsThread

Yes we get it you like guns. Great now go play with them.

I despise this fallacious argument. One does not need to love guns in order appreciate gun rights. Anymore than one needs to be a drug addict to appreciate the failed policy of the drug prohibition, or to love dissenting or hateful speech in order to appreciate free speech rights.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic

edit:
YANeborLovesGunsThread

I despise this fallacious argument. One does not need to love guns in order appreciate gun rights. Anymore than one needs to be a drug addict to appreciate the failed policy of the drug prohibition, or to love dissenting or hateful speech in order to appreciate free speech rights.

I agree about gun rights. I tend to dislike gun nuts, and find the suburban commando mentality even more irritating. That said, I think a gun CAN be a valuable self defense tool and I think gun control laws are not very effective at keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys. Particularly localized ones like in Washington DC. A few minutes in the car (hell, you could even take the Metro) gets you to Maryland or Virginia, both of which have lax enough gun control laws that getting your hands on a weapon THERE poses very little problem.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Well, sure, I think the program is useless, just like the DC gun ban itself. The gist of it comes to the fact that in two consequtive sentences police says they do not expect "people involved in criminal activity" to sell their guns back, but at the same time they hope to reduce the number of guns on the streets "that could be used against an owner or anyone in the street". Something is seriously screwed up with that logic. How is buying guns from law abiding (save for the DC gun ban) citizens who wouldn't commit a crime anyway helps reduce violence on the streets?

That said however, I have no beef with the program itself. Sure, the program is useless, does not accomplish much, and people selling guns back are getting poor value for their money (I'd think that pearl handed revolver would cost more than $50), but no one is forcing them to sell their guns back. People are free to do whatever they want in this case.

NaughtyGeek

Golden Member
May 3, 2005
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Nebor, how about you and I draft a new bill for congress. In this bill we divert funds from other government agencies to make sure that every person that turns 21, that is not a felon, receives a state issued 9mm hand gun. Just need one of those catchy acronyms and I'm sure the gun lobbyists will be in full force behind us :)

Heh, instead of "Universal healthcare" it would be "Universal hand guns".

TV ad - "A gun for everyone!"

I'll sponsor that bill ;)

Ozoned

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2004
Originally posted by: NeoV
how is a gun-buyback program a bad thing again?

Well, why don't you research Australia's gun buyback program and see what it did for their crime rate.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
"I was holding onto it for sentimental reasons," said Charlotte McGutherie, 59, of the pearl-handled, .30-caliber, five-shot revolver that had fallen into her possession when her mother died in 1985. For years it had lain stashed away in a basement filing cabinet.

I'd like to have seen that gun.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had real value ($'s) as a collector's item.

Damn, what a waste!

Fern

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
These buyback programs have been known to net a few collectibles, but they apparently get destroyed alongside their cheap brethren (on principle?!).

In states where guns are perfectly legal, I'd love to host one of these events just to see what the idiots out there are willing to part with for $50, or a new pair of sneakers! I bet you could find some real gems!

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: palehorse74
These buyback programs have been known to net a few collectibles, but they apparently get destroyed alongside their cheap brethren (on principle?!).

In states where guns are perfectly legal, I'd love to host one of these events just to see what the idiots out there are willing to part with for $50, or a new pair of sneakers! I bet you could find some real gems!

Only our overlords are allowed to engage in this kind of mass gun buying. You would go to federal prison for attempting to do such a thing.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: fleshconsumed
Well, sure, I think the program is useless, just like the DC gun ban itself. The gist of it comes to the fact that in two consequtive sentences police says they do not expect "people involved in criminal activity" to sell their guns back, but at the same time they hope to reduce the number of guns on the streets "that could be used against an owner or anyone in the street". Something is seriously screwed up with that logic. How is buying guns from law abiding (save for the DC gun ban) citizens who wouldn't commit a crime anyway helps reduce violence on the streets?

I think the idea is that guns "on the street" come from folks who legally purchase and own guns...like guns getting stolen in burglaries and sold on the street, that kind of thing. Honestly, I'm not so sure that's how it works, so I'm not sure how effective trying to get guns away from legal owners is going to help.

That said however, I have no beef with the program itself. Sure, the program is useless, does not accomplish much, and people selling guns back are getting poor value for their money (I'd think that pearl handed revolver would cost more than $50), but no one is forcing them to sell their guns back. People are free to do whatever they want in this case.

That's a good point, actually. Gun buybacks aren't mandatory...surely the right to own a weapon also comes with the right to NOT own a weapon. The gun ban itself seems like the problem here.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Not everyone who turned in guns held them illegally.

Re-read the article zealot *cough* I mean Nebor.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
I cannot remember what city it was, but I do remember one police dept. got into a little hot water, cuz they were reselling the guns back out onto the street. :shocked:

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
$100 for assault-type rifle. I wonder if I can buy some old 22's duct tape a knife to the barrel, call it a assault-type rifle and profit.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Looks like they just buy guns from people who most likely will never use the gun anyway. This is probably just a big waste of taxpayers money. Takes some nerve to show up with a loaded weapon. Could at least unload the gun before you turn it in.

I could probably see justification for reselling antique guns to collectors.

I use to keep a 22 pistol for target practice. It is amazing to watch cops show up to a range and see that they cant hit a 50 meter target worth a service revolver. It did not make feel any safer that they carried lousy double action revolvers that they could not even shoot straight.

I would venture to say that a gun ban does not make it illegal to own a handgun that you had before the ban went into effect. Unless the police go house to house and search every ones house or apartment there is no way to enforce a gun ban. I dont think cops investigate where the guns come from enough to actually do their job.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Nebor

First of all, how the heck did all of these people have ILLEGAL guns in Washington DC. And how have they seized 10,000 guns this year when they're clearly illegal? I mean, don't gun control laws work?

Supply and demand suggests that *reducing* the number of available guns, if there aren't so many out there that they're effectively free and always easily available, can reduce crime by having *some* impact on their availability, where some who might have committed a crime if they had a gun, won't have a gun.

This program is somewhat effectively targeted insofar as it's the cheap guns attractive for crimes, from the people who 'need $100 pretty badly', who are turning them in.

Gun laws can't be completely effective in an environment with so many guns already out there, much less one in which they're legal a few miles away.

Remember, for example, one of the leading sources for criminals' guns is stealing them in burglaries; when 'honest citizens' have fewer guns, there are fewer to steal.

Second, these people are all FELONS. They possess illegal property in a place where it is clearly illegal. I don't see them having a heroin turn in day. Or a dead body buyback.

You really don't understand the idea of applying practicality to a policy, do you?

The nature of drug addiction doesn't lend itself to any benefits from a heroin buyback; the addict will need and buy more. All that would do is to add taxpayer dollars to the heroin economy as the addicts go buy more until the underlying addiction is dealt with - something liberals tend to try to fix with things like free drug rehab, but you on the right tend to refuse to do much about but jail. And your body buyback comment is just laughable at showing the extreme to which you don't understand the program's purpose.

Third, how telling is this part:

How about yours officer? Let's get it off the street, clearly it's not doing any good. You're too busy admittedly disarming the good people instead of out on the street catching the bad guys. :Disgust;

Right, because clearly, only having everyone armed can possibly reduce gun violence - it's not as if criminals can pick and choose when to attack, with the element of surprise, making the availability of cheap handguns a far bigger problem than any benefit - no, criminals are limited to pulling out their handguns in crowded places, and before shooting anyone, announcing their criminal intent while the honest citizens get out their guns and shoot him.

The right is terribly irrational about gun crime, an example of a sort of inbred ideology allowed to fester into craziness. When you look at who commits gun crimes, their motives, and their options for getting guns, you need to look at whether gun laws will have a positive effect in reducing the crime, by making guns a bit less available, a bit more expensive on the black market, a bit less available in burglarized homes for theft.

KB

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 1999
Originally posted by: Rainsford

edit:
YANeborLovesGunsThread

I agree about gun rights. I tend to dislike gun nuts, and find the suburban commando mentality even more irritating. That said, I think a gun CAN be a valuable self defense tool and I think gun control laws are not very effective at keeping guns out of the hands of bad guys. Particularly localized ones like in Washington DC. A few minutes in the car (hell, you could even take the Metro) gets you to Maryland or Virginia, both of which have lax enough gun control laws that getting your hands on a weapon THERE poses very little problem.

Have you ever bought a gun in Maryland? I have purchased several. Mandatory gun safety video, 7 day wait periods, background checks, mental health forms, restricted to one gun purchase a month, no shall issue CCW ( I am fine with all of these)... but it doesn't sound like very little problem to me. It isn't as easy as the media wants you to believe.

May 31, 2001
I have a crappy .22 revolver a friend gave to me when she moved. She found it in her son's leftover junk when she was packing up her house. It is probably a greater danger to the person wielding it than to the person facing the business end.

I would happily take their money for it. :p

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Originally posted by: KB

edit:
YANeborLovesGunsThread

Have you ever bought a gun in Maryland? I have purchased several. Mandatory gun safety video, 7 day wait periods, background checks, mental health forms, restricted to one gun purchase a month, no shall issue CCW ( I am fine with all of these)... but it doesn't sound like very little problem to me. It isn't as easy as the media wants you to believe.

Yeah, Maryland has a long history of ridiculous gun control, and their senators love to try to force it on the rest of the country.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
When I got my Illinois Gun License you had to get finger printed and they sent that in to do the background check. I think they were sending the prints to the FBI. This kind of bordered on rediculous. In some states, like Alaska, if you have a driver's license you can buy a gun. This is why we need Federal Gun Laws to protect everyone's right to buy a gun without harassment.

I think there should be a tax on Illegal guns the way some states have a tax on illegal drugs. If you are caught with an illegal gun, they should estimate the cost of the gun and make you pay the tax.

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
"residents were offered $100 for assault-type rifles or semiautomatic pistols"

1. Buy a truck load of those $40 jennings pistols
2. surrender them for $100 a piece
3. massive profit

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

edit:
YANeborLovesGunsThread

I'm looking to buy a gun in Maryland pretty soon, and I've been researching the process. It's certainly not as easy as in some place like Texas, where it seems like you get a free gun with every bottle of Jack you buy at the liquor store, but it's sure as hell easier than in DC. Which is the only point that really matters, gun control in DC all by itself is pretty silly when none of those laws affect gun ownership a few miles in any direction.

Gun control in DC is like having a non-smoking section in the restaurant...there just isn't enough physical separation for it to make much difference.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor

edit:
YANeborLovesGunsThread

Yeah, Maryland has a long history of ridiculous gun control, and their senators love to try to force it on the rest of the country.

It's a little understandable...Baltimore is one of the most violent cities in the country, I can see how peoples' impression of guns wouldn't exactly be positive. And unlike in most states, Maryland is small enough that the vast majority of Maryland residents live close enough to Baltimore that what goes on there affects their impression of guns.

If you ask me, that's the real problem with gun rights in this country. Sure, if you're from certain parts of the country, you have so much exposure to guns that you form a good opinion of them. But in other parts of the country, the ONLY exposure some people have to guns is when some banger shoots some other banger (and a few random bystanders) for walking down the wrong side of the street. You think those people are going to be in favor of gun ownership?

I used to be pretty anti-gun...not enough to want to ban gun ownership or anything, but it wasn't high on my list of rights I really care about. But that's because my only exposure to guns growing up was crime related. It wasn't until fairly recently that I actually shot a gun myself and got some exposure to the non-negative side of gun ownership...and it really changed my mind on the issue.