Washington city votes to raise minimum wage to $15 for waiters. They still get tips

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/06/news/economy/minimum-wage-seatac-new-jersey/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The SeaTac initiative will raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour for hospitality and transportation workers in and near Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. The current minimum wage in Washington State is $9.19.

SeaTac Proposition 1 also calls for paid sick leave and tip protection.

well, i cant complain. Residents of SeaTac, Wash voted for this. they're the ones who live there and they're the ones who will be paying the higher prices.

now I 'm waiting for people to boycott tipping and make it against the law so people don't feel pressured to do it.
after all, $15/hr is a lot more than $2.13/hr and they no longer need to be tipped.

Minimum wage only encourages inflation. Everyone elses wage goes up shortly after that, then rent, housing, food, gas and the minimum wagers will be right back to where they started.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Minimum wage only encourages inflation. Everyone elses wage goes up shortly after that, then rent, housing, food, gas and the minimum wagers will be right back to where they started.

This is why with the huge number of people who make nothing and can't find jobs, everything is almost free.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
No one "skirts the law", if a wait person does not make enough in tips to equal minimum wage then the employer pays the difference. thing of it is, in my 15 years in the food service industry I never saw a place where waiters/waitresses made close to minimum wage. I read somewhere that the average pay is around $12-$15 hour, though I have worked in a couple places where wait staff was mad if they went home with less than $150 off a four or five hour shift. It's probably one of the, if not THE best paying jobs for people, especially women, without an education.

correct. a good friend of mine is a waitress at applebees for a second job a hundred bucks plus per shift is very common. monday is veterans day and with the free meal deal for vets the wait staff makes out like bandits because the patron normally tips the cost of the free meal.

Last edited:

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
Wth! Well, lets see where it goes. .. experimentation is good right?

lol

So long as the experiment is limited in scale. Thus any ill effects are quarantined to the region/area they are conducted in and not everyone else is drag in down to the bottom of the ocean, yeah go right ahead and experiment until you glow in the dark.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
waiters making min wage. LOL.

I bet for most of these guys this will be a pay cut, due to paying taxes now.

Tips are supposed to be included by the employer on the W2.
If not included; declared on the tax form.

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
Washington already has the highest minimum wage in the country, and yet they're considered one of the most business friendly states, thanks in no small part to the lack of corporate income tax. Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks, Boeing, Costco, Nintendo, Valve... yeah, Washington is terrible for business because of that oppressive minimum wage. Granted, $15 for workers who already receive tips is moving into the realm of the absurd, but arguing that high minimum wage kills business? Washington pretty easily destroys that theory.

LMAO did you look at that list of businesses? With the possible exception of Starbucks and Costco, they already offer high level jobs that pay well in excess of even this $15 minimum wage.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=11&sid=2388800

Dori says it's frustrating when voters with no skin in the game get to dictate things like wages and prices for a business.

"They're just saying we want some people to give other people more money, and it's like voters think it just magically appears out of nowhere," says Dori.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
By what standard is $15/hr enough? If they did $16 imagine how much better it would be. Or $17 even. Gosh, price fixing is awesome. Why didn't this occur to anyone before?

The rage against first-level economics continues.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
I am guessing this is the total combined tips, plus cash wage minimum and that they aren't simply raising the cash wage? If so they were already making at least 7.25 an hour, and most would be making more than that.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The rage against first-level economics continues.

Yep, under the guise of "fair wage" or other such drivel. Of course in the end it never actually ends up helping those who were supposedly the people who were going to be helped by the measure. Fail as usual.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
They shouldn't have voted for it though. And they don't have the right to tell businesses how much to pay. The people who voted for it are idiots and wrong.

Move to SeaTac and educate them on their stupidity. Maybe stand on a street corner and preach to them about how stupid and wrong they are.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
If the previous minimum wage was $9/hr, that person was making around $13K/year (assuming 30 hour work week)...

Now that person will make around $21.5K/year, an increase of $8.5K/year...If a small business has 5 part time employees, that would increase labor costs by $42.5K/year which is a substanstial amount of money. (I just picked 5 employees off the top of my head, but each employee would increase labor cost of $8.5k/year)....

I wonder where the voters think this money will come from? Will the business owner raise their prices (if so, how much)? will they layoff some employees (if so, how many)? I don't think the business owner can do nothing and just absorb the increased minimum wage.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
If the previous minimum wage was $9/hr, that person was making around $13K/year (assuming 30 hour work week)...

Now that person will make around $21.5K/year, an increase of $8.5K/year...If a small business has 5 part time employees, that would increase labor costs by $42.5K/year which is a substanstial amount of money. (I just picked 5 employees off the top of my head, but each employee would increase labor cost of $8.5k/year)....

I wonder where the voters think this money will come from? Will the business owner raise their prices (if so, how much)? will they layoff some employees (if so, how many)? I don't think the business owner can do nothing and just absorb the increased minimum wage.

Silence you fool, such logical considerations have no place here. The money will just come from somewhere, and everyone will get a "fair" wage ;)

Basically, some will lose their jobs, prices will go up some, and some businesses will just cease to exist.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
The prop was aimed at people working in and around SeaTac airport, it does not apply to everyone. How many restaurants in airports actually have wait staff?

Its a misguided law but the media hasnt done a very good job explaining prop 1. What is funny is, most of the 5-6000 people that will have higher wages now, don't actually live in the city of SeaTac.

The $15 is absurd, the tip protection and paid sick days not so much. Tip protection is a good thing, resturants should not be charging service charges or collecting tips, if those tips/service fees aren't going to the people providing the service. Paid sick days is a good idea simply because not having paid sick days encourages people to work when sick and contagious which is bad in both the transportation and hospitality industries, more so in hospitatlity.

Last edited:

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Business owners shouldn't be so greedy. They're supposed to start a business to make other people's lives (like mine) better (by my standards), not in their own interest (selfish pricks).

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Not sure if serious???

The majority of airport restaurants are not full service restaurants. There are plenty of them, but they do not comprise anywhere near a majority.

And most of the people effected by this wage increase are transportation and hotel workers(the other half of the hospitality industry). Because the way the prop is written only hand full of restaurants will be effected, of those effected, I don't see their staff getting tipped by anyone other than travelers who don't know any better.

Whats going to happen is restaurants that are effected will cut employees down to get under the cutoff. How many employees does an airport Quizno's have/need?

The wage increase was a terrible idea, but the passage isn't a surprise because voter turn out in local elections.

Last edited:

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
I think you will see some services cut down, how many Hudson News stores do you need? As I said before this wage hike will hurt small businesses and non-skilled workers.

Here's a link to all the shops and restaurants in SeaTac Airport.

http://seatacshops.com/

The prop applies to 15 food service businesses and 9 retail businesses with a total of 1400 employees.

Thats out of ~6300 who will be getting a $15/hr. Employees for airline contractors and hotels make over up half of those 6300.

Very few small businesses are going to be hit and those that are will likely scale back employee numbers as to not get hit by the ordinance.

Its a terrible ordinance, but it only applies to about 25% of jobs in the city.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

You worry too much. The business owner has to pay himself the minimum wage.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
Business owners shouldn't be so greedy. They're supposed to start a business to make other people's lives (like mine) better (by my standards), not in their own interest (selfish pricks).

Business owners take more risk than the employee. My father runs a small business. If his business fails, he loses his home. His employees keep theirs and go find another job.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010

If only things were so simple...