Was hit by another person - they are at fault - must I contact my insurance company?

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
So last night I was hit by some idiot 17 year old in a big SUV. First, let me say WHAT A FVCKING IDIOT.

Ok, that's enough for now. My real reason for posting is... if it was purely his fault, as documented by the cops and witnesses (he also got a ticket for failure to yield) do I need to contact my insurance company?

I've contacted his, they say they will get back to me by the end of the day tomorrow. They said until then they cannot authorize a rental car or anything at all. I'm out of work now... so what do I do until then? Any advice?

And I went to the emergency room last night. I sat there for almost two hours watching as fat idiots came in and out getting checked up (probably some lard caught in their throats) or whatever it is that fat useless pieces of schiat do at the hospital, before I just left.

Should I go to a Chiropractor to get checked out? I'd think it would be smart to have X-Rays. My neck felt fine after I was hit, but a few minutes later it started to feel funny, and now it is a bit stiff.

Thanks guys.

(And I understand you're not doctors/lawyers etc, so I will not hold you legally to any info, blah blah, you know the drill).

L

Lola

Do you live in a no-fault state? Most states... as far as I know have some type of Med-Pay on each persons policy but i do not know how it works for each individual state.
Best thing to do is call your agent. They will be able to help you take care of anything you need.

However, if your neck feels stiff or you do not feel right, call your insurance agent right away and they will either have you go to the dr. now then make the claim when you feel better, or they will help you file the claim now to have (perhaps some) coverage for your medical bills.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
They will be able to coordinate everything that you need to do now and as followons.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Honestly I could care less about helping you right now, since you started out asking a legit question, and turned into a complete dink by the end of your post. I hope the other guy's insurance company takes you to the cleaners.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I talked to people at another number (his insurance) who say they can get me a rental, but not until after they speak with "the insured".

They also said that they do not pay for medical... WTF?! They say that they will only pay the difference if my insurance only covers a percentage, etc. UNBELIEVABLE!

And from what I know, FL is a no fault state (but I don't know too much). However, he was clearly at fault, and there was no argument about that whatsoever, he even got the ticket, etc.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Get your insurance company involved. This is when you're paying for their legal representation in those premiums you pay.
Go to an MD and get checked out, ASAP.

You may want to contact a personal injury attorney.

Document every phone call, every conversation, etc.

Good Luck.

Insurance companies, even your's, are only beholden unto their stockholders. Customers and their claims are expenses to be controlled.

Cover
Your
A$$

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: leftyman
yes, contact them

This is a must and go ahead and get a rental car if you need one. Happened to me recently when someone pulled from a private drive into my front end. Their insurance rep was a dick and kept stalling on authorizing a rental saying the accident had to be investigated. They also wanted me to pay my deductible to my insurance saying I would be reimbursed. I just told them I was contacting my insurance to notify them of the accident, but wasn't about to pay anything. Eventually I got the rental paid from the day of the accident until my car was repaired.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Get your insurance company involved. This is when you're paying for their legal representation in those premiums you pay.

And right there is why we pay so much for insurance. Everyone thinks a fender bender is like winning the lotto. Go get a blood sucking bottom feeder and try to milk a few bucks out of someone.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
just curious...do you actually have insurance?

Yes, fully insured.

I just don't want to stir things up. I also think it is wrong that my insurance company should have to cover ANYTHING since it is not my fault.

Also, in this case the car is mine (paid for, etc), but it is legally my fathers and it is his insurance, etc.

BTW, I contacted my insurance, gave them the information, they said they will give me a claim number in a few minutes and then I can go to a chiropractor, give them that information, and that should get me covered. Otherwise, pay for it and they will reimburse me.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com

Good Luck.

Insurance companies, even your's, are only beholden unto their stockholders. Customers and their claims are expenses to be controlled.

Cover
Your
A$$

Should I contact one of those personal injury attorneys like you see on the commercials or in the yellow pages? There are ones that don't get any money if you don't get any money, right? I don't want to be liable for any charges.

I would love to take these idiots to the cleaners (him and his idiot family who showed up and showed no remorse at all).

Just a note btw - One reason I'm so personally involved is that my car which I have spent hours bringing into a pristine state, and taking care of, and polishing etc etc has been smashed. This is something that I love and take great pride in.

So to me it is like to most people if they just drove a car off of the lot and it got smashed (to put it in perspective).

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
why the hostility to fat people?

someone steal your sammich back in grade school and you've yet to recover?

leftyman

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: homestarmy
just curious...do you actually have insurance?

Yes, fully insured.

I just don't want to stir things up. I also think it is wrong that my insurance company should have to cover ANYTHING since it is not my fault.

Also, in this case the car is mine (paid for, etc), but it is legally my fathers and it is his insurance, etc.

BTW, I contacted my insurance, gave them the information, they said they will give me a claim number in a few minutes and then I can go to a chiropractor, give them that information, and that should get me covered. Otherwise, pay for it and they will reimburse me.

and thus why you should always call your insurance company.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Sorry about the hostility toward fat people. But all I had to do was sit there for nearly two hours while obese person after EXTREMELY obese person walked into the emergency room.

They made themselves that way, it's their fault. I'm tired of paying my medical insurance to cover people like that. I've paid for years and never use it. Paying for them is just wrong IMO.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I talked to people at another number (his insurance) who say they can get me a rental, but not until after they speak with "the insured".

They also said that they do not pay for medical... WTF?! They say that they will only pay the difference if my insurance only covers a percentage, etc. UNBELIEVABLE!

And from what I know, FL is a no fault state (but I don't know too much). However, he was clearly at fault, and there was no argument about that whatsoever, he even got the ticket, etc.

In no fault states, your insurance pays for your medical care so you don't have to wait for his insurance company to give you money so you can get medical care. Then (I think) they have to go after the other insurance company to get the money back. If you want to make a medical claim, you're going to have to go through your insurance company.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Your insurance company = free team of lawyers who will do all the legal work and even sue the other person for you.

And you are turning that down?

Yes, if you get into many accidents that aren't your fault, they may very slightly raise your rates because you get yourself into situations where others are likely to hit you. But that slim chance at a negligible rate increase is not worth turning down all that free stuff.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Greenman

And right there is why we pay so much for insurance. Everyone thinks a fender bender is like winning the lotto. Go get a blood sucking bottom feeder and try to milk a few bucks out of someone.

Seriously. :thumbsup:

Jan 31, 2002

Good Luck.

Cover
Your
A$$

QFMFT

Edit - Except the personal injury lawyer. If you're actually injured, by all means, recoup medical expenses/etc, but leave the leech out of it.

- M4H

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Yeah, that's why you pay your insurance company, so they'll deal with this crap for you. You shouldn't have to deal with the other guy's insurance company. Your insurance company will do that for you.

And yes, you could have a serious neck injury. When I was 16 and driving to an evening college class, I was hit from behind while stopped in traffic (he was going over 35mph) and I felt fine after the accident. When I woke up the next morning, I couldn't move my head/neck at all. I had weeks of physical therapy and prescription muscle relaxers and pain meds after that (had to take my SATs stoned out of my gourd, heh.) Whiplash often shows up after a few hours, not right away.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
Originally posted by: dullard
Your insurance company = free team of lawyers who will do all the legal work and even sue the other person for you.

And you are turning that down?

Yes, if you get into many accidents that aren't your fault, they may very slightly raise your rates because you get yourself into situations where others are likely to hit you. But that slim chance at a negligible rate increase is not worth turning down all that free stuff.

This is my first accident of this type FYI (incase that's relevant to anything we discuss).

I understand what you're saying though and thanks for the info.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I am about to call Chiropractors to find one that can help me. Could someone please confirm if this is the best course of action? Or should I go to the emergency room or...?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I am about to call Chiropractors to find one that can help me. Could someone please confirm if this is the best course of action? Or should I go to the emergency room or...?

This is not an emergency...

If anything you could go to your primary care physician before the chiropractor, they may refer you to someone. But I don't think that's necessary.

homestarmy

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2004
artwilbur.com
I have insurance, but I don't have a primary care physician. I just never have ended up using it (but want to, don't know where to start).

Any advice on that while we're on the subject? I don't just want to pick one from the yellow pages.