WARNING drug interactions can kill.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Drug interactions can kill. Let's say that you're taking an opiod for pain and you take Nyquil for a cold so you can sleep. Something in the Nyquil might combine with the opiod, put your brains breathing control to sleep, you stop breathing, then you die.

Yet we can't figure out how to execute people via lethal injection. Fighting over which complex and highly advanced / specialized / expensive / rare cocktail to use. :colbert:

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Yet we can't figure out how to execute people via lethal injection. Fighting over which complex and highly advanced / specialized / expensive / rare cocktail to use. :colbert:

To be fair, they know how to. They had what was basically a perfect cocktail. Then one of the manufacturers (or more than one, I can't recall) decided to block the sale of a key ingredient in said cocktail, stating they wish to not see their compound used for those purposes. So then the various states had to rush to whip up an equivalent cocktail, and they basically failed.

Artdeco

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
Drug interactions are awesome, my personal record in college was 7, I lost a whole week...

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I work in IT for a pharma giant. We have clinical rules station/engine which covers these drug interactions prior to dispensing at pharmacy.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
I work in IT for a pharma giant. We have clinical rules station/engine which covers these drug interactions prior to dispensing at pharmacy.
Does that assume that people get all of their scripts at one pharmacy or pharmacy chain?

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Does that assume that people get all of their scripts at one pharmacy or pharmacy chain?

No.

Retail pharmacies are networked by plan providers (such as BCBS). And plan providers utilize pharma giants provide dispensing/claim adjudication point-of-sale enterprise systems which is the screen pharmacists use at their desk with you.

The two big pharma giants today in US are Express Scripts & CVS. They both utilize their own POS.

It is a very heavily regulated industry by government- and rightfully so. They have compliance for littlest things such as "POS adjudication can't be no longer than 2 seconds", etc...

I wouldn't be surprised is drug interaction rules are government owned, rather than private companies having their own inconsistent versions.

Last edited:

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
No.

Retail pharmacies are networked by plan providers (such as BCBS). And plan providers utilize pharma giants provide dispensing/claim adjudication point-of-sale enterprise systems which is the screen pharmacists use at their desk with you.

The two big pharma giants today in US are Express Scripts & CVS. They both utilize their own POS.

It is a very heavily regulated industry by government- and rightfully so. They have compliance for littlest things such as "POS adjudication can't be no longer than 2 seconds", etc...

I wouldn't be surprised is drug interaction rules are government owned, rather than private companies having their own inconsistent versions.
So if you go to say a small independent pharmacy, the odds are that they'll be using one of those 2 systems? But do those systems talk to each other? It sounded like you were saying that there is just one set of rules but if you get say valium from a pharmacy on one system and vicodin from one on the other, the drug interaction won't show up - or will it? I'm not sure i understood your entire post.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
So if you go to say a small independent pharmacy, the odds are that they'll be using one of those 2 systems? But do those systems talk to each other? It sounded like you were saying that there is just one set of rules but if you get say valium from a pharmacy on one system and vicodin from one on the other, the drug interaction won't show up - or will it? I'm not sure i understood your entire post.

Yes and no. Normal people go to "their" pharmacy for all of their prescriptions. In fact your primary care physician sends them to a specific pharmacy they don't give you a coupon to score some meds wherever you feel like. Also, the papers I get from my pharmacy list common interactions, regardless of whether they apply to you. So if something doesn't mix with alcohol it will say so.

Also, when you get a new medication a pharmacist talks to you about it.

Now if you're a pain meds junkie intentionally splitting up your prescriptions between pharmacies and doctors, and keeping each one hidden from the other then I suppose you might fool them into letting you mix prescriptions with dangerous interactions. But at that point you don't care anyway as long as you get your fix.

Last edited:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
paging dr artdeco to confirm this

Paging Dr Howard, Dr Fine, Dr Howard.

BTW-I have a cold right now and I'm taking OTC cold meds so I'm making sure I'm just taking one thing at a time and at the correct intervals. I'm also not drinking any alcohol until I'm over this stupid cold.

Last edited: