Warm? Trade in old electronics for Newegg GC

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I was going to say I'll bet shipping outweighs what I'd get for my junk, but it looks like you get free shipping. Too bad most of my stuff is just random cables and such... not really a "product" I can register or anything.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Apparently they don't include any computer parts other than LCD monitors-mostly it is stuff like cellphones, PDAs, etc. No comprehensive list that I could find.

Nice idea, but I'd love a place to dump my old tube monitors, hard drives, power supplies, etc.

bloodthirster

Feb 12, 2001
Just a Ton? As in 2000lbs? Ive recycled more weight in computers than that all by myself in the last 3 months.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Apparently they don't include any computer parts other than LCD monitors-mostly it is stuff like cellphones, PDAs, etc. No comprehensive list that I could find.

Nice idea, but I'd love a place to dump my old tube monitors, hard drives, power supplies, etc.

county/city have a facility for e-waste?

Gigantopithecus

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2004
I checked a couple phones and the prices they offer are pretty poor. You're better off selling in the forum here unless you have a bunch of nearly worthless junk you can throw in a box and ship off to them.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I checked a couple phones and the prices they offer are pretty poor. You're better off selling in the forum here unless you have a bunch of nearly worthless junk you can throw in a box and ship off to them.

Um... that's exactly the point. This is for stuff you're ready to throw away. They don't plan on fixing it up and reselling it, they're going to recycle it properly. Why you'd want to trash something that still has resale value is beyond me. Do you have a bunch of broken phones or something? Then there you go.

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
Why you'd want to trash something that still has resale value is beyond me.

The time/hassle is frequently not worth it to people. I have better things to do with my time than deal with paypal/ebay/usps. I have a number of functional items like cell phones and hdds that don't have a resale value that justifies my bothering with it.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The time/hassle is frequently not worth it to people. I have better things to do with my time than deal with paypal/ebay/usps. I have a number of functional items like cell phones and hdds that don't have a resale value that justifies my bothering with it.

That's what I mean by resale value. If your costs (be it time, shipping, etc) are greater than the price of your product then it doesn't have much value. Instead of getting zero for it you can get a little bit for it and have shipping and all that taken care of. I'm not saying it's worth it for everybody, I'm just saying there's definitely a few of us here who have held on to a few things a little too long thinking we'll get around to selling them but never did... and now they're pretty much worthless or broken.

DJ-phYre

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2004
I have a ton of DVDs that have little to no-resale that are collecting dust... Perfect for getting rid of them...

matrixshark

Jul 12, 2010

Says the guy wasting time on an internet forum ;P

J/P

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
Everyone values their time differently. I'm getting paid by the hour to sit in front of this computer whether I get anything useful done or not.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
I know people in the recycle trade and properly recycled varies a LOT. Much of it is simply resold in other markets, poorer countries, or to swap meet sellers. In Calif at least they get paid by the state so much per certain types of items like crt monitors due to the lead in the glass. Its a large very profitable business.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Game cube and N64 still sell really well at SoCal swap meets, with the price of games not changing much in a decade still around $5 to $10 depending on titles.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
This isn't a hot deal at all. You could get more money selling the hardware to idiots or scrappers.

They offered 13$ for a 360 without power cord, and some other incredibly lowball dollar or so prices.

No thanks.

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
They're after the "rare earth" elements/minerals in those devices that Electronics company need to make more devices that depend on them... currently China has a monopoly on rare earth elements...:p