[warm]Google Nexus 7 16 GB, $199 @ Walmart Nov 4th-10th

Praetor

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
IIRC, that's the new normal price point. The 32GB should be $249.99. At any rate, I picked up a second 16 GB yesterday from Walmart for my wife. It's a great little tablet.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
That's the normal price. I went Saturday and picked one up and they had to look online to verify that is is $199 and not the $249 they were selling for.
Fun little tablet. Like it a lot more than my tf101.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
Not a deal. Normal price.
I actually got into an argument at my local Walmart with the electronics associate.
I was telling her the price should be $199, & she said they don't price match on that device. I had to pull up their own website on my phone & show her. She said again, they don't match other sites special prices. I told her again, that this was WALMART.COM, not a competitor. She still refused to sell at their advertised online price. The next day I went back & the price was lowered, but now they were all sold out. Cunty beeatch.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
It is the new price. I bought the same 16gb tablet at walmart.com on 10/29 for $199. It said delivery was going to be 11/7 (aka 9 days later), I was pleasantly surprised to have it delivered on 10/31 (aka less than 48 hours later.)

I also bought the red version of this cover. Like the apple smart cover it does the roll around to act as a stand, and it automatically puts the nexus 7 to sleep when you shut the case. I like the case alot for the nexus.
http://www.logiix.net/tablet/tablet-cases/cabrio-n7/

Does anybody else have recommendations for cases/accessories for the nexus 7?

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'm glad they are at this pricepoint. I have a Kindle Fire I bought refurbed for $139 running Jellybean (eyecandy's distro) and it's usable, but a little buggy (since it's not really designed for JB).

I think I'm going to pick one of these up.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
ok isn't amazon coming out with a new one this month with newer,better graphics ( I assume compared to their old one?)

still no expandability which has cost them sales at least from my friends.

can this unit do netflix?

Is there anything like the ipad tv media center controller out for it?
I guess you have to have a repeater in your network for this to work.

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
yes, it plays netflix just fine. not sure what you mean by media center controller. if you get something like boxee or plex, there are plenty of remote control apps for those on android.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Seeing as my $99 HP Touchpad died a month ago, this is very enticing.

etrin

Aug 10, 2001
one more question.
is there a lot of difference in 16 vs 32 why don't any of the units come with a card slot?
With a usb port on the unit I guess I can get a portable drive if I need too.

Damn I got to quit this place I am going broke LOL

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
one more question.
is there a lot of difference in 16 vs 32 why don't any of the units come with a card slot?

Why the unit has no micro SD slot
1a) Google says this make it more complicated for the user since the user would have to pay attention where data is saved
1b) less space ,means you are likely to use Google cloud services

If you root the device you can use a USB otg cable for external USB device use such as flash drives and hard drives

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
I doubt it will be much cheaper on BF given that reportedly they are sold at a cost. In any case I played with Nexus in staples and I was not impressed, the 7" screen is too small, I hate to say it, but despite lower resolution the 7.9" display on iPad Mini is infinitely more usable to me. In any case, if you want a deal, people on slickdeals reported that Staples was blowing out 8Gb model for $150-$160+tax. It might be too late, and I probably wouldn't jump on it, but if you're looking to save ~$25 that might be your only shot.

Jun 24, 2012
How much cheaper on BF??

I'm betting a doorbuster $99.99 sale for the 16GB Nexus 7. I'm betting lines down the block to have a shot at one of ten products in the store. And the 32GB model will be in plentiful stock for $229.99.

That's my guess.

Chocu1a

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2009
one more question.

There is not a sd slot because Google wants you to use their cloud services. That is also why it is so inexpensive. Same as the Kindle Fire & Amazon.
16 vs 32? Uh, it is double the storage . That is about it.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Microcenter has the Samsung Galaxy 2 for 16 GB $179. I like the SD slot. Don't like the proprietary connector crap. I think the Nexus is generally better, but the expansion slot would be good for movies.

Hey Google: You can't use cloud services on a freaking plane (without paying a lot for wifi).

EH

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Microcenter has the Samsung Galaxy 2 for 16 GB $179. I like the SD slot. Don't like the proprietary connector crap. I think the Nexus is generally better, but the expansion slot would be good for movies.

Hey Google: You can't use cloud services on a freaking plane (without paying a lot for wifi).

EH

Google sells the 32gb Nexus 7 for $249 if you need more space. I would prefer the SD slot but I guess Google wanted to give a reason for people to buy Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. Who in their right mind would buy Tab 2 if Nexus 7 also had SD slot?

If you need expansion slot for movies, music, etc and 32gb won't cut it, you can always use OTG USB to attach SD card, USB thumb drives, etc. OTG USB to microUSB cable is like $1 shipped from Amazon and Ebay and plugs right into Nexus 7 microUSB charging port. There is your SD card slot. It's not as elegant but it's more versatile. You're not limited to SD card and can use USB thumb drives which are cheaper.

Last edited:

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
I am one of the early adopters of this tablet and I must say that it's a joy to use. I have an iPad2 as well that has been collecting dust lately.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
I thought that adding a storage device required some Hackett on the android.

EH