Warlock, Hunter or Mage for PVP in WoW???

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Anubis
To answer the Question posed by the OP, Roll a Warlock, seriously they are amazingly fun to play and you can dominate if you really want to

if you go Horde Roll a Orc, Racial is a free TOEP
if aliance go Human, only because i absoutly hate gnomes

I can't argue with that, warlocks are probably the best overall class. I won't rehash the argument that's taken place already, I'll just say that if you ignore PvP, warlocks are far better, more versatile and more desired in PvE, while maintaining great strength in PvP. I will say that all the horde races have excellent racials suitable for the class. Mine is undead; cannibalize is excellent for levelling / grinding, as free hp = free mana for a lock. WotF is a nice get out of jail free card and we look awesome. Orcs' free toep racial is nice as mentioned, but it comes along with a MS type debuff which cuts healing taken in half; something warlocks do a lot of via siphon / drain life and healthstones. Their stun resist is nice as well. And who can say no to racial silence a-la Belf?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: CKent
To answer the Question posed by the OP, Roll a Warlock, seriously they are amazingly fun to play and you can dominate if you really want to

I can't argue with that, warlocks are probably the best overall class. I won't rehash the argument that's taken place already, I'll just say that if you ignore PvP, warlocks are far better, more versatile and more desired in PvE, while maintaining great strength in PvP. I will say that all the horde races have excellent racials suitable for the class. Mine is undead; cannibalize is excellent for levelling / grinding, as free hp = free mana for a lock. WotF is a nice get out of jail free card and we look awesome. Orcs' free toep racial is nice as mentioned, but it comes along with a MS type debuff which cuts healing taken in half; something warlocks do a lot of via siphon / drain life and healthstones. Their stun resist is nice as well. And who can say no to racial silence a-la Belf?

yea but Belfs are the only class Gayer then Nelfs

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

yea but Belfs are the only class Gayer then Nelfs

My mage would beat you up for saying that, if I could guarantee he wouldn't break a nail :| I did pick the least gay haircut at least, the Cloud Strife. It's the only one without long flowing hair :laugh:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
actually most of the Top rogues just stopped playing like they used to because our class got fvcked, the only really active one is Zechs

I still play... sometimes... in a blue moon :(! I do have 5 70's at this point, which is why I'm so rarely on one. Well, actually there's usually a reason why I don't play certain ones:

Rogue, we'll get to him.

Priest, I hate healing people. If a group is poor, healing can be a pain in my dwarven butt. No one seems to care about the healer and they just tend to let me die (fade being on CD and not wanting to pull adds with fear) or do a poor job and end up causing me to use a very high amount of mana.

Warrior, well, he's not really specced for group play at all. He's a 34/24/3 spec warrior, which means he's a hybrid. The problem is, this build is very good for my "solo group" play with a priest, but the problem is, it's only other good purpose is PVP. Without Enrage, I lose a significant amount of DPS that can only be made up by using Death Wish and without Endless Rage, I need to keep going or else my rage will just drop too low. He has done DPS in groups, but he's definitely not as good as he should be for it. Oh and tanking sucks, because everyone acts like you're a godly prot-spec warrior no matter what and that even though they use a 4000 crit in the first 5 seconds of a fight, you should keep aggro.

ona 5v5 team we are mostly useless, basicially every other class offers the damage we can deal with 10x the survivability

Exactly what we've been saying above, yet some say it's the fact that rogues are played by children :roll:.

now at 70 we got screwed, resiliance hurts our class more then anyone, unlike warriors we dont white hit people for 1200, our itemization has been pretty sad at 70 and the arena gear isnt much better, and blizz failed us with gear scailing once again

warriors got massive upgrades, 500+ damage 2 handers that they can just make, we got nothing, our drops dont even compair to theirs, we still have the lowest HP of just about any class other then say a mage, and our armor is still pathetic

Itemization is the big reason why I don't play my rogue. I simply cannot find much good gear outside raid instances or heroics that are decent for me and that's only a couple pieces of clown gear. I'm mutilate spec and that spec has been pushed to a PVP only spec by Blizzard with the horrible excuse of a lack of +crit gear from instances, but the Arena gear has a nice amount of +crit. Combat rogues are, from what I can see, practically designed by Blizzard to be the only PVE spec as there's a good abundance of combat-oriented rogue leather in instances.

There is some decent crafted gear for leatherworking, but none of it is nearly as easy to do as the tailoring gear. Also, they tend to come from patterns that are random world drops and since I prefer crafting my own gear (there's something to be said when either you or one of your alts crafts all your gear... just looks good to me for some reason). Essentially, tailoring is too good at this point and that's just another buff for casters.

My warlock is a gnome :(.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Believe whatever you guys want, the back & forth is pointless. I suppose you think elderly women are as likely to buy a Maserati as they are a crown vic. Ignorance is bliss. Grats on the upcoming buffs. See you in Warhammer if you pick that one up when it's out :)

Thanks for that last stupid unrelated analogy. buh-bye.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Smilin
Believe whatever you guys want, the back & forth is pointless. I suppose you think elderly women are as likely to buy a Maserati as they are a crown vic. Ignorance is bliss. Grats on the upcoming buffs. See you in Warhammer if you pick that one up when it's out :)

Don't like it because it's relevant? It's ok. Go on and keep thinking you're the master of 2-button skill. Your class isn't overpowered, you are. You are a skilled, elite, invisible ninja. /soothe

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
ona 5v5 team we are mostly useless, basicially every other class offers the damage we can deal with 10x the survivability

Exactly what we've been saying above, yet some say it's the fact that rogues are played by children :roll:.

I did specifically say that I'm talking about averages. I'm not calling anyone on this forum a 12 year old, although smilin has me wondering.

Other classes might do rogue damage, but they don't have sap, blind, poisons, vanish, clos or the ability to stunlock...

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

Don't like it because it's relevant? It's ok. Go on and keep thinking you're the master of 2-button skill. Your class isn't overpowered, you are. You are a skilled, elite, invisible ninja. /soothe

It couldn't be less relevant. It's like the price of beans in poland. You've brought this obscure comparison in here in yet another attempt to avoid presenting any FACTS that support your nutbag theory.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005

It couldn't be less relevant. It's like the price of beans in poland. You've brought this obscure comparison in here in yet another attempt to avoid presenting any FACTS that support your nutbag theory.

You claim the rogue class doesn't attract a different demographic than, say, the priest class. The choice is similar to cars in that it's one based on style and performance; thus it should be obvious that classes do attract different demographics. My analogy is spot-on.

If you want to argue that the conclusion I've drawn from it is off, that's a different matter and you'd have a stronger foot to stand on. To support this one, all I can say is that most of the worst players I come across, with the most trouble understanding game mechanics, the most likely to break CC and being the least effective players in general, are rogues and hunters. Additionally, these classes have been, in my experience, far more likely to use doodspeak. The other day a rogue posted two medium-length sentences in the auction channel with a grand total of 3 correctly-spelled words. The rest was this "wut ur plz ne1" shit. The other day I saw a rogue use the word "their" correctly - then he corrected himself by typing "there*". I wanted to cry. And it's typical.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Additionally, these classes have been, in my experience, far more likely to use doodspeak. The other day a rogue posted two medium-length sentences in the auction channel with a grand total of 3 correctly-spelled words. The rest was this "wut ur plz ne1" shit. The other day I saw a rogue use the word "their" correctly - then he corrected himself by typing "there*". I wanted to cry. And it's typical.

I've seen people of all different classes act like this. You do know that when people have a personal vendetta against something, they tend to notice something relative to it much more than something not. I've played with crappy people from all sorts of classes and I've played with some good rogues. to me, there's actually more people that are worse at the two staples (healing and tanking) than there are with rogues (percent-wise to avoid larger numbers since there's more classes representing the staples).

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Aikouka
Additionally, these classes have been, in my experience, far more likely to use doodspeak. The other day a rogue posted two medium-length sentences in the auction channel with a grand total of 3 correctly-spelled words. The rest was this "wut ur plz ne1" shit. The other day I saw a rogue use the word "their" correctly - then he corrected himself by typing "there*". I wanted to cry. And it's typical.

I've seen people of all different classes act like this. You do know that when people have a personal vendetta against something, they tend to notice something relative to it much more than something not. I've played with crappy people from all sorts of classes and I've played with some good rogues. to me, there's actually more people that are worse at the two staples (healing and tanking) than there are with rogues (percent-wise to avoid larger numbers since there's more classes representing the staples).

I hardly had a vendetta against rogues when I noticed this at 60 though. Lol one time I tabbed back in from forum surfing in AB (this was before the background sound option) to find myself at 80% hp with -all 3- charges of lightning shield gone (that takes 10+ seconds) and a little gnome rogue attacking me. I laughed, then I dropped a few tots, popped EM and 2shotted him. Granted he probably didn't have very good gear, but most rogues couldn't do much better against me.

I think I homed in on why you feel rogues owned shamans at 60 too, btw - most shamans were enhancement, and rogues certainly did kill them fairly easily. The shield accounted for 50-55% of the average shaman's armor, but enhancement shamans don't wear one. And while elemental's strategy was to get distance and kite, enhancement had to go toe to toe with their opponents. The reason enhancement was more popular was its gear requirements; you could do well in blues. Elemental at 60 was extremely gear dependent, almost as much as warriors. A lightning bug with no spell damage was gimped, but one with 400-500+ was a brutal monster. At the very most (and I'm talking HWL) you could hope for maybe 250-300 without raiding, so getting up there on spell damage was a bit of a task and most shamans didn't do it.

ps - tanking and healing, tanking in particular, are more difficult than playing a dps class. A good tank and healer really make a group and can take any 3 momos through an instance. I just did ST today where both hunters left growl on (after being asked multiple times to turn it off) and one insisted on pulling, even though I was doing so (feral tank alt) at a fast pace. And don't even think about CC, not with multishots going off at every cooldown. But we had a flawless run without a single death thanks to a good tank, yours truly, and an excellent healer.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

You claim the rogue class doesn't attract a different demographic than, say, the priest class. The choice is similar to cars in that it's one based on style and performance; thus it should be obvious that classes do attract different demographics. My analogy is spot-on.
I did not claim that anywhere.

I'm quite certain there are some trends between age groups and some classes. What I have said from the beginning is your theory sucks. You say that rogues are not represented in the PvP charts because they are a bunch of 12 year olds. It's a stupid theory. Here we are like half a dozen posts later and you have yet to provide a single fact supporting you theory. Just opinion after opinion.

If you want to argue that the conclusion I've drawn from it is off, that's a different matter and you'd have a stronger foot to stand on.
It's the foot I've been standing on the whole time. Where dude lolz!!111eleven111 *were* have Uz been????!!!one!!!? :)

To support this one, all I can say is that most of the worst players I come across, with the most trouble understanding game mechanics, the most likely to break CC and being the least effective players in general, are rogues and hunters. Additionally, these classes have been, in my experience, far more likely to use doodspeak. The other day a rogue posted two medium-length sentences in the auction channel with a grand total of 3 correctly-spelled words. The rest was this "wut ur plz ne1" shit. The other day I saw a rogue use the word "their" correctly - then he corrected himself by typing "there*". I wanted to cry. And it's typical.

So my observations earlier about *all* the rogues in my guild is crap but your observation about a single random guy who's age you don't even know is valid. Geez. Mind like a beartrap there dude.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
It's a very sound theory. Rogues are not unrepresented in arenas, they're underrepresented. Just as older and more mature people are underrepresented in their playerbase.

I've already said that those rogues were only examples, and ones typical of the garbage spewing from more rogue/hunter mouths than those of other classes.

There's more to it, of course. You don't get better at something by performing it at a trivial level. Arnold didn't lift 5 pound dumbbells, Clapton didn't play Mary Had A Little Lamb, Michael Jordan didn't school first graders on the court. You get better at something by challenging yourself. But where's the challenge when your opponent is stunned and can't fight back?

Zbox

Aug 29, 2003
You get better at something by challenging yourself. But where's the challenge when your opponent is stunned and can't fight back?

You have absolutely no idea of what competitive arena is like for rogues. And if you did have the slightest clue what it is really like you wouldn't keep referring to these completely ridiculous stun lock statements.

Let's assume that your assumption is true. The next logical step then becomes that arena would be dominated by rogues stunlocking everyone since they would never have a chance to fight back.

This is obviously not the case, just like the top 20 arena figures prove. Keep ignoring the facts.

You're overwhelmingly biased against rogues; that much is obvious. There is nothing objective nor logical to what you are saying about the class.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
im sorry Ckent i have to agree with Zbox

you can not stunlock someone to death in the areans unless that person has absoulute crap gear most classes are running with 9K plus HP and then buffs and crap, trinkets break any stun now so basicially everyone breaks the KS or waits for blind, because you cant SL someone to death with that much health

Wars, you could never SL to death same with pallys
Locks LOL most are Demo and have 11K plus health
SP couldent be SLed before and still cant
Mages Blink
Hunter just pop TBW
Shammys will live through it and heal
druids if you catch them in cat you can Sl them to death as well as othe rouges but thats about it
druids in bear are like wars that can heal

we have to sacrafice to much for areans
most areans rogues have 9K+ health with 400 ish resiliance, becasuse of that we have liek 80+ hit which doesnt even get us over the % needed to not miss with specials and we also only have about 1400 AP at that point

for refrence at lvl 60 i had over 1200 unbuffed

people have tried to stack stam with out resiliance and have a ton of AP but it doenst work without the resiliance we are just too easy to kill

Backstab still hits in the 1500 ish range maybing topping out at 2k if you are lucky which is where they fell at 60, where a MS warrior can eaisily MS someone for 3K+ which is nearly 2x as much as it used to be
everyone has 2x as much health and our abailities still do the same ammnt of damage

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Zbox
You get better at something by challenging yourself. But where's the challenge when your opponent is stunned and can't fight back?

You have absolutely no idea of what competitive arena is like for rogues. And if you did have the slightest clue what it is really like you wouldn't keep referring to these completely ridiculous stun lock statements.

Let's assume that your assumption is true. The next logical step then becomes that arena would be dominated by rogues stunlocking everyone since they would never have a chance to fight back.

This is obviously not the case, just like the top 20 arena figures prove. Keep ignoring the facts.

You're overwhelmingly biased against rogues; that much is obvious. There is nothing objective nor logical to what you are saying about the class.

Logically it would follow that I do know what arenas are like, if my claim is that rogues don't do well here because they're used to easy mode stunlocking in BGs & duels... try to keep up. Obviously stunlocking doesn't work out as well here, which is why they feel in over their heads in arenas and haven't done well. The class still brings a lot to the table though, they just need to learn a bit. I predict they'll do much better as S2 progresses.

Go to the rogue forum, ask 2k+ rated rogues for advice. 9/10 will probably inform you that your mother is a prostitute, but the 10th might have some words of wisdom.

ps - Arenas aren't the only type of pvp in this game. World pvp is inescapable on pvp servers, and a great deal of people still enjoy battlegrounds. Personally I find arenas boring, it's like a dueling system with rewards. Where are the flags, the other objectives, the points? I think arenas were put in to address the alliance queue complaint and to pacify people who were too confused by the purpose of flags in battlegrounds x_x I'd pay to be as powerful as rogues in overall PvP. I'd trade my 70 shaman w/ epic mount in almost full epics regardless of which gear suit he's in (pvp, pve dps, resto) for a NAKED 70 rogue. Hell, mkae it 60 - I could make some money levelling up. For rogues to complain about arenas is absurd on more than one level.

Shammys will live through [stunlock] and heal
Resto shamans will. Enhancement shamans will die in 5 seconds, elementals in 10.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Zbox

Logically it would follow that I do know what arenas are like, if my claim is that rogues don't do well here because they're used to easy mode stunlocking in BGs & duels... try to keep up. Obviously stunlocking doesn't work out as well here, which is why they feel in over their heads in arenas and haven't done well. The class still brings a lot to the table though, they just need to learn a bit. I predict they'll do much better as S2 progresses.

Go to the rogue forum, ask 2k+ rated rogues for advice. 9/10 will probably inform you that your mother is a prostitute, but the 10th might have some words of wisdom.

ps - Arenas aren't the only type of pvp in this game. World pvp is inescapable on pvp servers, and a great deal of people still enjoy battlegrounds. Personally I find arenas boring, it's like a dueling system with rewards. Where are the flags, the other objectives, the points? I think arenas were put in to address the alliance queue complaint and to pacify people who were too confused by the purpose of flags in battlegrounds x_x I'd pay to be as powerful as rogues in overall PvP. I'd trade my 70 shaman w/ epic mount in almost full epics regardless of which gear suit he's in (pvp, pve dps, resto) for a NAKED 70 rogue. Hell, mkae it 60 - I could make some money levelling up. For rogues to complain about arenas is absurd on more than one level.

Shammys will live through [stunlock] and heal
Resto shamans will. Enhancement shamans will die in 5 seconds, elementals in 10.

do you PVP without any gear on?

assumeing a stunlock

CS - 60 energy
KS - 25
Gouge 45
BS = 60

we get 20 energy every 2 secs, 5 secs - 40 more energy
so 140 total
in 5 secs we could CS you and then Backstab and then stand there

in 10 secs we regen 100 energy and starting with 100 we could CS-BS- and then one of the following (KS/Gouge/BS again)

in 10 secs we would have at most backstabbed 3 times and thats if we didnt want to stun you wery well

so unless you only have 3k HP no one dies in that ammnt of time
in 5 secs after stunning you

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I hardly had a vendetta against rogues when I noticed this at 60 though. Lol one time I tabbed back in from forum surfing in AB (this was before the background sound option) to find myself at 80% hp with -all 3- charges of lightning shield gone (that takes 10+ seconds) and a little gnome rogue attacking me. I laughed, then I dropped a few tots, popped EM and 2shotted him. Granted he probably didn't have very good gear, but most rogues couldn't do much better against me.

You seriously played with some craptacular rogues if that's how bad they all were. No wonder you think rogues were uber buffed! I ate elemental shamans for breakfast if I got the cheap shot off (and usually if I didn't).

I think I homed in on why you feel rogues owned shamans at 60 too, btw - most shamans were enhancement, and rogues certainly did kill them fairly easily.

I had no problem beating elemental shamans either.

ps - tanking and healing, tanking in particular, are more difficult than playing a dps class.

Try a warrior, it's a bit different. At least as a feral druid, you can tank and DPS, but being stuck as a prot warrior gives you no options for real damage. Then the tanking options are a bit different as well. You also still have yet to experience what it's like to tank in blues and greens against a well-geared blue/purple destruction-spec warlock at level 70. It's not fun when they disregard any sort of delay to avoid aggro.

Oh and about the rogues are all kids, you do realize that you're telling Smilin that he's wrong from what he's seen in his guild but you're just comparing what you've seen in the chat on your server? A chat on a server isn't even representative of the total server population let alone the entire population of WoW. I don't see how you can jump to conclusions like you have been.

Zbox

Aug 29, 2003

Real pvp in wow is somewhat nonexistent even on pvp servers because Blizzard basically discourages it through stupid things like instanced pvp and city guards that hit for 4k+. Honestly I find that pretty pathetic, especially on servers that are labeled "PVP." World pvp still provides the biggest rush and sense of satisfaction for me, but Blizzard decided to reward the treadmill of honor and arena point farming, which just diminished the number of people actively participating in any form of world pvp. Halaa is amusing, but its novelty wore off somewhat quickly.

Regardless of my opinion, the situation is what it is, and since arena is the most rewarding (in terms of gear and item upgrades) form of pvp it stands that you cannot deemphasize its importance.

Like I said, you're just personally biased against rogues without any sound reasoning to support it. The arena figures are solid and your retort of "rogues need to learn a bit" to be viable in arena shows how clueless you are in regards to what a truly competitive arena match is like. The trends for top team class break down for every bracket is clear enough: the percentage of rogues occupying top teams is slowly decreasing, even as season 2 progresses. This seems to suggest the opposite of your prediction for rogues in the current season (which is really nothing more than another unfounded, but cute and amusing opinion).

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
do you PVP without any gear on?

assumeing a stunlock

CS - 60 energy
KS - 25
Gouge 45
BS = 60

we get 20 energy every 2 secs, 5 secs - 40 more energy
so 140 total
in 5 secs we could CS you and then Backstab and then stand there

in 10 secs we regen 100 energy and starting with 100 we could CS-BS- and then one of the following (KS/Gouge/BS again)

in 10 secs we would have at most backstabbed 3 times and thats if we didnt want to stun you wery well

so unless you only have 3k HP no one dies in that ammnt of time
in 5 secs after stunning you

Don't backstab, too many rogues give up the stunlock because they want an uber crit. Save your energy for stuns, use your cooldowns, eg vanish - CS and use thistle tea.

Originally posted by: Aikouka
You seriously played with some craptacular rogues if that's how bad they all were. No wonder you think rogues were uber buffed! I ate elemental shamans for breakfast if I got the cheap shot off (and usually if I didn't).
They weren't all that bad, in fact I remember that one in particular probably because of the humor in it. He was hemo as well, so the damage was even lower. But there wasn't a rogue I came across I had trouble with.

Oh and about the rogues are all kids, you do realize that you're telling Smilin that he's wrong from what he's seen in his guild but you're just comparing what you've seen in the chat on your server? A chat on a server isn't even representative of the total server population let alone the entire population of WoW. I don't see how you can jump to conclusions like you have been.
He's going on 5-6 people, I'm going on 3 servers and 2 battlegroups.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
cant use tea in areans :roll:

Haha really? That sucks... anyway, again, arenas are only a small part of wow pvp. I don't even do them at all anymore, I only log on my shaman to do 5 dailys (the fast ones) a day now. I had a half hour to kill before working out, so after my dailys today I hit up an arathi basin... after being stunlocked to death by a mace spec warrior I just afk'd out and laughed, it's not worth the frustration.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I see Ckent is still at it trying to prove rogues are overpowered lol

Here is some information, one of the best specs for arena now is combat rogue. The reason is sustained dps outshines crits due to high resilience. Combat rogues are not much of stun lockers.

With the change in trinkets, stun locking isnt as easily done. Unless you run across some nub who prefers his pve trinkets instead of a pvp trinket.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Genx87
I see Ckent is still at it trying to prove rogues are overpowered lol

Here is some information, one of the best specs for arena now is combat rogue. The reason is sustained dps outshines crits due to high resilience. Combat rogues are not much of stun lockers.

With the change in trinkets, stun locking isnt as easily done. Unless you run across some nub who prefers his pve trinkets instead of a pvp trinket.

Well at least rogues require 300 resilience from epics and their pvp trinket to... oh wait...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Well at least rogues require 300 resilience from epics and their pvp trinket to... oh wait...

I was bored on my mage just now and poking around at gear... did you know that with the new Arena 2 gear, my mage can have 9000 health (no gems, enchants, trinkets and only 1 ring (to rule them all)), around 2000 armor (without Ice Armor), tons of resilience, spell damage and spell crit (I didn't tally those up exactly as I was focusing on seeing how outrageous I could get my hp up). Now I'm a fire mage, so I lose survivability, but take those stats on a frost mage... do you think a rogue could ever beat that? I need to do that though... I want to feel like a warlock with that much health :evil:!