Warlock (by paradox) ??

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Apparently there is a new game in the works by paradox called warlock:

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/warlock

The game seems to be fairly fare along as it has gone through a closed beta. From the limited information it looks to be similar or a cross between elemental and age of wonders.

Does anyone know much about this game or perhaps tried it during the beta? Any comments ?

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Wow, is this a modern Master of Magic ?!

Have to keep my eye on this one....

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
I'll be looking forward to this game, even if it does look like Civ 5, lol. Always loved Master of Magic in the good old days.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Almost looks like a mod for Civ 5.

I was going to say the same thing after just looking at it.

warlock_10-53-02-80.jpg

Looks like a cross between Civ and Elemental. Elemental is getting a sequel BTW, 'Fallen Enchantress' http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/a-new-hope-elemental-sequel-in-action/

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
To the few that are interested in this, there are now some early impressions at RPS:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/23/hands-on-warlock-master-of-the-arcane/

Technically only published by Paradox, developed by someone called Ino-Co Plus. Definitely seems a bit simpler that the standard Paradox grand strategy games, leaning more towards Civ V as many have pointed out. I am intrigued and will try to keep an eye on it. Release still not announced

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Fallen Enchantress is pretty good so far, although I haven't played too much of it. It is already much more interesting than War of Magic, as a Master of Magic type game.

This game looks interesting as well. I might have to give it a try too.

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
Saw the RPS article and it's definitely caught my interest. Will be keeping an eye on this one.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
If this game has a functional AI (unlike Civ 5) it will be godly good.

I really like the colors and art style compared to vanilla Civ 5.

From the looks if it, they made the one unit per tile actually viable due to all the magical buffs and such you give your guys, just like MoM (unlike Civ 5 where OUPT was completely unbalanced).

The city improvements/buildings that go on every tile look neato too (also unlike Civ 5, which had very bland and stupid tile improvements)

Seriously looking forward to this game if they don't fuck it up.

Total Biscuit's preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8&feature=g-u-u

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
This game is on pre-order on Steam with a bonus DLC included for 20 bucks!

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
If this game has a functional AI (unlike Civ 5) it will be godly good.

I really like the colors and art style compared to vanilla Civ 5.

From the looks if it, they made the one unit per tile actually viable due to all the magical buffs and such you give your guys, just like MoM (unlike Civ 5 where OUPT was completely unbalanced).

The city improvements/buildings that go on every tile look neato too (also unlike Civ 5, which had very bland and stupid tile improvements)

Seriously looking forward to this game if they don't fuck it up.

Total Biscuit's preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ydHz7X4GF8&feature=g-u-u

Wow there's no way that's not built off of Civ5!

Lol that brit talks about how units can turn into transports and move across water on their own so long as you have a shipyard like it's a new idea. Umm Civ V did that.

Last edited:

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
:hmm: how much they charging for this mod?

Lol that brit talks about how units can turn into transports and move across water on their own so long as you have a shipyard like it's a new idea. Umm Civ V did that.

Pretty sure that's how it worked in HOMM too.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012

Even Rise of Nations did that... and that was EONS ago...

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
Played the demo of this until my turns ran out. Seems like a fun game, although I certainly didn't really have to think too much about what I was doing - I always seemed to have enough money to throw at training more units if any happened to die. Perhaps that's only in the demo.

I'm also not sure why TB said it didn't play like Civ V, because it felt a hell of a lot like it to me, just in a fantasy setting with a few gameplay differences.

One thing's for sure - I have absolutely no qualms about dropping the measly $20 they're asking for it to see if I enjoy the late-game. You can't really go wrong at that price.

bentheman939

Mar 5, 2008
We'll see if paradox can do mom right where stardock couldn't.

I'm not sure if you're part of the Fallen Enchantress Beta, but stardock is definitely in the process of getting it right. The current beta 0.90, is actually really good, complex, and deep. Don't count them out :D

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
Stop the presses. Is this game single player only? The steam purchase page says its single player.

Karstein

Mar 31, 2011
Good catch, did not notice that at all. I had a look around and here's the lowdown:
Eurogamer said:
Due for release this summer, Warlock is presently only a single-player experience, though Pavel adds that multiplayer support will be added after release with, of course, the potential for DLC too. Meanwhile, aging fingers are being crossed, including my own.
So at least it's coming in, but that's a pretty bizarre decision to leave it out for release considering the type of game it is. I guess that's why it's so cheap.

Bulldog13

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2002
Good catch, did not notice that at all. I had a look around and here's the lowdown:

So at least it's coming in, but that's a pretty bizarre decision to leave it out for release considering the type of game it is. I guess that's why it's so cheap.

Agreed. Until today I was PUMPED for this game. No multiplayer = no buy. GAH. WTF are they thinking?

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I'm not sure if you're part of the Fallen Enchantress Beta, but stardock is definitely in the process of getting it right. The current beta 0.90, is actually really good, complex, and deep. Don't count them out :D

It'll be cool if they do make a comeback, but they've dropped the ball and deserve criticism for it.

That this paradox game looks so much like Civ 5 have me a bit worried though : (