Warhammer has a new game. It looks like Battle Royale.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
But the tags and description suggest its something different.
I dont know if I wanna risk it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Watch as much footage and gameplay videos as you can before you do this. There's very few things worse than having to go through buyer's regret with anything linked to the Warhammer universe. I just looked at the stuff shown in the small thumbnails and the gameplay clips and it was enough to get out of there (it's not what I'm looking for, for a Warhammer game but it's just me I guess).

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah I think the main issue with the Warhammer universe is theres a handful of decent games and a metric butt ton of terrible games and navigating thru the mess is such a pain.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Games Workshop and the Warhammer properties are like a textbook example of how not to transition your IP to digital.

Besides a few diamonds in the rough, slapping "Warhammer" on your video game actually devalues a devs property from "quirky indie game that could have used more polish" to "steaming pile of turd" and "can you believe multiple suits had to consciously greenlight this crap?!"

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Games Workshop and the Warhammer properties are like a textbook example of how not to transition your IP to digital.

Besides a few diamonds in the rough, slapping "Warhammer" on your video game actually devalues a devs property from "quirky indie game that could have used more polish" to "steaming pile of turd" and "can you believe multiple suits had to consciously greenlight this crap?!"
they keep giving licenses to anyone who asks. Its annoying.
I understand why. The video game market probably makes them way more money than all their years making boxes and board and minis.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
they keep giving licenses to anyone who asks. Its annoying.
I understand why. The video game market probably makes them way more money than all their years making boxes and board and minis.

- They're killing the golden goose though.

Their videogames make them money on the back of an ironclad tabletop IP that has decades of lore built into it, but the games are not adding anything to it and the first introduction many people have to their core business is through these cookie cutter low effort "hump em and dump em" games.

Warhammer used to be (and really still is) a juggernaut of an IP in the tabletop space, but will come to mean "low effort trash" as people come to associate the name with the games.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!!

They made another one. It doesn't suck.

But many reviews say the AI is bad. And thats important in a TBS.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
BUMP!!

I actually thought about this the same day Vermintide came out.

A left 4 dead style game in the 40k universe.

My only complaint is in both left 4 dead and Vermintide the AI is atrocious. Your party never does anything useful, you have to do all mission objective yourself when you play solo. The only viable play is online with friends and if they are dumb or lazy you have the same problem as the ineffective AI. But I like the idea of a squad-based, mission-based Warhammer 40k game that also has lots of action and moves along quickly.

It has a Steam page. Expected in 2022.

On my wishlist. I will wait though. Always want at least a hundred reviews before I purchase any Warhammer game. They let too many people have licenses and most of the games are not great.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Oh, they also have a shooter coming out that looks genuinely good.

Made by people that know shooters.

Or Shootah.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Oh, they also have a shooter coming out that looks genuinely good.

Made by people that know shooters.

Or Shootah.
this captures my interest much more than L4D-style games