"WAREZ" Where did the term come from

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
I know what it is and am not requesting any links or to have any to be sent to me. I am interested in if Warez really stands for something, and if its really a software industry term or just made up slang from the internet generation to describe pirated copies of software. Thanks

Rain

thorin

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
It's just slang.

Here's what the New Hacker's Dictionary at gnulinux has on it (not quite how I would have worded it or described it, but <shrug>):

&quot;warez /weirz/ n.

Widely used in cracker subcultures to denote cracked version of commercial software, that is versions from which copy-protection has been stripped. Hackers recognize this term but don't use it themselves.&quot;

Thorin

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Merchants sell &quot;wares&quot;. &quot;Warez&quot; is just wares with the &quot;s&quot; replaced witha &quot;z&quot;.

Zeeliv

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
No, kami has it right. It's the same reason you see Mp3z and Appz and Gamez at sites that have Warez.

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
If you know the following, than you know where the term came from...
THG/INC/ACID/ICE/GRIM/FIC/CFGC/TDT/TRSI..etc.. the list goes on..

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Yez I believe Kami is correct on this onez. Ok the &quot;z&quot; didn't work, so sue me. ;)

TGCid

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Actually it was originally Where is in the old day before the internet. So when you want to ask for something you would type Where is .... The term later evolved to Warez. If you pronounce them they are very much similar.

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Ok, how do you pronounce &quot;warez&quot;?

I pronounce it like &quot;wares&quot;, but everyone else BUT me pronounces it like &quot;WAR EZ&quot;. Like say the word &quot;war&quot; then &quot;ez&quot;. Its sounds completley dumb, but is that the correct pronounciation?

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
&quot;Warez&quot; sites suck ass, they're nothing but JAVA pop-up vote gateway crap. Most likely run by Microsoft.

So if &quot;warez&quot; is cracked commercial software, what is a complete copy of the original software with a working serial called? &quot;Supawarez&quot;? :p

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
exactly what kami said.

software -> wares -> warez... pronounced the same as wares

pac1085

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2000
lol, sounds like the term &quot;warez&quot; was coined by a black dude in the ghetto or somethin, not a bunch of fat white doods :p

DABANSHEE

Banned
Dec 8, 1999
Warez is a big Mexican bordertown, El Paso is the American part of Warez.:)

The secret is in the Z

like warez, filez, passwordz, its the Z that denotes its all.

TechMaster

Mar 17, 2000
Wares = stuff

Warez = a therm that was invented by hackers/crackers/boredpeople (;)) in an act of rebelion to set themselves apart from the rest of the &quot;Buying-thier-sofrware&quot; humanity :)) ;) :p :D :cool:.)