WAR!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
"Interior Ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition."

:confused:

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Originally posted by: yllus
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Geez, you should always garrison your cities with at least a spearman or something.
Two firebats and two marines, bunkered.
Dude, no wonders you lose. Two Marines, one firebat and one Medic.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze
Originally posted by: RKS
Originally posted by: Dacalo
Originally posted by: TheTony
I've got $5 on Switzerland.

Liechtenstein doesn't even have an army. Up your bid.

Yea but the Swiss don't have ammo so it's a wash.

Yeah but the Swiss might have brought their knives....the Swiss Army knife is awesome. :)

The Swiss would declare war, then declare neutrality.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: JS80
I thought "Swiss Army" was a figure of speech or a brand name lol

They have a pretty large army considering their population and the fact that they remain neutral in wars. I recall reading about 10 years ago that they had a population of ~6 million and an army of 600,000. I imagine that's more like our national guard than an actual army though. I believe everyone must serve a certain number of years in the military there.

Not sure if their military uses "Swiss Army" stuff, but that brand name is used by both Victorinox and Wenger (Victorinox has the pointy shield logo, Wenger has the rounded square logo)

Edit: It seems Victorinox bought Wenger in 2005, but apparently they still use both names.

dr150

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2003
Make fun of the Swiss all you want, but historically they've been respected and feared as fierce warriors.

Their reputation as fighters in the old ages is what got them to be assigned guards at the Vatican.

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
It's already on Wikipedia

In March of 2007 Switzerland invaded Lichtenstein. In what began innocently as a military training operation, Swiss soldiers crossed a mile into Lichtenstein. After realizing their mistake, the Swiss soldiers turned around and crossed back over the border. Nobody in Lichtenstein noticed the invasion and European peace has since been restored.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
Originally posted by: dr150
Make fun of the Swiss all you want, but historically they've been respected and feared as fierce warriors.

Their reputation as fighters in the old ages is what got them to be assigned guards at the Vatican.

I just figured they were the only ones willing to wear those silly looking uniforms. :p

chcarnage

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Fox NewsWhat began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident...

This is an exaggeration, the relations between Liechtenstein and Switzerland are very good, there is cooperation on so many levels, they use Swiss currency and even play in the Swiss Soccer league. No newspaper wrote about the border crossing except the big Swiss tabloid.

Originally posted by: Skeeedunt
"Interior Ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition."

:confused:

During military training school, one carries his 4.5 kg rifle pretty much everywhere, but live ammunition gets mostly handed out at the shooting range and not that often for exercises.

Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: JS80
I thought "Swiss Army" was a figure of speech or a brand name lol

They have a pretty large army considering their population and the fact that they remain neutral in wars. I recall reading about 10 years ago that they had a population of ~6 million and an army of 600,000. I imagine that's more like our national guard than an actual army though. I believe everyone must serve a certain number of years in the military there.

Not sure if their military uses "Swiss Army" stuff, but that brand name is used by both Victorinox and Wenger (Victorinox has the pointy shield logo, Wenger has the rounded square logo)

Edit: It seems Victorinox bought Wenger in 2005, but apparently they still use both names.

The Swiss Army exists, I was there ;) It's not a cakewalk anywhere but the seriousness of the military training depends on the branch of service you're in. About 60% of all males join the army (the others are not able to serve in the military or prefer civilian service which is 1.5 times longer). Most soldiers have a 21 week long military training school and seven yearly 3 week long courses. Every rifle carrying member of the military is obliged to pass an annual shooting test off-service. (There is plenty of info about the Swiss military on Wikipedia for those who are interested)

Victorinox/Wenger still make the Swiss Army knives but instead of red plastic, mine has a metal plating. Most other Swiss Army branded object aren't in use in the military either.