War is going well.....I guess I'm the only who thinks so .....

Mrburns2007

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2001
The fact that only 400 are dead in a major operation I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Usually wars kill thousands but now I think people are getting spoiled with this belief that nobody should ever die in combat.

I figured there would be a major chemical weapons attack and that there would be a long bloody seize for baghdad which didn't occur.

TheShiz

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007
The fact that only 400 are dead in a major operation I have to say I'm pretty impressed. Usually wars kill thousands but now I think people are getting spoiled with this belief that nobody should ever die in combat.

I figured there would be a major chemical weapons attack and that there would be a long bloody seize for baghdad which didn't occur.

there are a lot more than 400 dead, but i guess iraqis do not count as much as americans.

mastertech01

Moderator Emeritus Elite Member
Nov 13, 1999
The war went pretty well all things considered.

Its the Peace thats not working out at all.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
I'm sure the fact that you are impressed comes as a great comfort to all the families of those who have died.

XMan

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mrburns2007

5,000 died on D-Day alone. Technology and medicine has really advanced. Increased weapons accuracy has also reduced civilian casualties . . . there would have been many, many more with the basically un-aimed WWII era bombs.

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: feralkid
I'm sure the fact that you are impressed comes as a great comfort to all the families of those who have died.

I think it would be more comforting to these families to say you are proud of the sacrifice that their family member made than to say that their death was a complete waste...

VioletAura

Banned
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: daniel1113

I think it would be more comforting to these families to say you are proud of the sacrifice that their family member made than to say that their death was a complete waste...

That would be nicer and more considerate than the truth... "Thank you for allowing your family member to be used as a tool for the greater neo-con agenda, please send more".

daniel1113

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: VioletAura
Originally posted by: daniel1113

That would be nicer and more considerate than the truth... "Thank you for allowing your family member to be used as a tool for the greater neo-con agenda, please send more".

I haven't heard about too many soldiers that feel that way. Most are proud of what they've done, and they ought to be.

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
Originally posted by: goossedump
this war is a waste.

and youre wasteing valuable standing room.

all things considered, this war has gone very well, and if the media and libs would quit trying to make it out like this is another vietnam, the public might be a little more supportive of the President. i have talked to my friends that have gone to Iraq and are now home, and they say they are appalled by what the media says about the current situation. I even talk to a friend of mine who is still over there now, and he says hes quite angry at the liberal media because of the gross exaggerations theyre making in an effort to make the President look bad.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Genesys
Originally posted by: goossedump
this war is a waste.

and youre wasteing valuable standing room.

all things considered, this war has gone very well, and if the media and libs would quit trying to make it out like this is another Vietnam, the public might be a little more supportive of the President. i have talked to my friends that have gone to Iraq and are now home, and they say they are appalled by what the media says about the current situation. I even talk to a friend of mine who is still over there now, and he says hes quite angry at the liberal media because of the gross exaggerations theyre making in an effort to make the President look bad.

Oddly enough, this is pretty much what was said about VN, except instead of liberals, it was pinko commie sympathizers. Let Johnson do what he wants and everything is OK. Obviously, this is not EXACTLY like VN, but the possibility of a multi year engagement with a dozen or more casualties a week makes it distinctly unappealing. The only ray of light is that Bremmer is supposedly going to speed things up so we can get out relatively quickly. Of course we don't know what that really means, so I am not holding my breath.

Doboji

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
there are a lot more than 400 dead, but i guess iraqis do not count as much as americans.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his"
-General George Patton

No of course they don't count as much to us... we're Americans... and naturally American casualties are most important to us. Why is that so unfathomable?

-Max

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Doboji

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his"
-General George Patton

No of course they don't count as much to us... we're Americans... and naturally American casualties are most important to us. Why is that so unfathomable?

-Max

I would argue that they should count a great deal. Every Iraqi civillian or even Iraqi fighter we kill probably generates several of thier friends and family out for revenge. This will directly increase the casualties amongst our own forces. Catch 22, impossible situation really.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I think it could be going a LOT worse, all thing considered. I'm curious as to how things will change once we catch Saddam. He can't run forever, right?

Mardeth

Platinum Member
Jul 24, 2002
Originally posted by: kage69
I think it could be going a LOT worse, all thing considered. I'm curious as to how things will change once we catch Saddam. He can't run forever, right?

Well, it could be a LOT better too... Saddam cant run forever cos eventually he'll, as everybody else, will die. Until then, he might continue running succesfully.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Well, like Gensys, I too have heard from buddies over there that the media is clearly taking a negative slant on things which many in the Services do not appreciate. Most except Fox anyway, but they don't count as their practically our own version of the NK state-run Yonhap news. Ok, not that bad but you know what I mean...