WaPo: US Intelligence intercepts prove Sessions met with Kislyak to discuss campaign

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Interesting... The meeting itself may not be nefarious or evidence of any crime, but this may prove he lied to Congress during confirmation.

Questions...who would be leaking this? Intel community or people connected to Mueller's investigation, or folks within the WH itself? It almost seems like someone wants Sessions out...gave him an opportunity to resign and he didn't take it, so now this.

EDIT: Oops, forgot link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...04692-6e44-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Interesting... The meeting itself may not be nefarious or evidence of any crime, but this may prove he lied to Congress during confirmation.

Questions...who would be leaking this? Intel community or people connected to Mueller's investigation, or folks within the WH itself? It almost seems like someone wants Sessions out...gave him an opportunity to resign and he didn't take it, so now this.

EDIT: Oops, forgot link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...04692-6e44-11e7-9c15-177740635e83_story.html?

The amazing part about it is that Sessions volunteered an arrogant & stupid lie at his confirmation hearing-

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/jeff-sessions-confirmation-hearing-exchange-russia-45864661

He should have just told a different lie- " I'd thoroughly investigate if provided with credible evidence."

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005

Likely from the WH. He didn't resign, so they put out the info that will let them fire him. They're going to fire Mueller. That's the point.

Jan 25, 2011
What a shocker. They lied about this too. Jesus how much more of this needs to come out before the faithful will wake the fuck up?

The annoying orange said no one from his campaign met with any Russians. At this point, other than Trump, is there anyone from the campaign who hasn't?

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
What a shocker. They lied about this too. Jesus how much more of this needs to come out before the faithful will wake the fuck up?

The annoying orange said no one from his campaign met with any Russians. At this point, other than Trump, is there anyone from the campaign who hasn't?
For the fanatics, it will never happen. For us normal folks, hopefully not much longer.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Likely from the WH. He didn't resign, so they put out the info that will let them fire him. They're going to fire Mueller. That's the point.

Firing Mueller won't do Trump any good. It'll just set off a firestorm in the media, congress & the deep state.

The hounds are upon him. Mueller is just at the front of the pack.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Firing Mueller won't do Trump any good. It'll just set off a firestorm in the media, congress & the deep state.

The hounds are upon him. Mueller is just at the front of the pack.

He doesn't care. It simply is the only thing his lizard brain can come up with. And if GOP in congress go along with it, then it's up to someone like Schneiderman.

Dec 10, 2005
He'd have to fire Rosenstein first. Unlike WH staff positions, people like the AG need senate confirmation. I know partisanship is strong, but I doubt they'll be so quick to appoint an incompetent sycophant with the current train-wreck administration and the fact that Jeff Sessions is leaving egg all over the senate's face.

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
He'd have to fire Rosenstein first. Unlike WH staff positions, people like the AG need senate confirmation. I know partisanship is strong, but I doubt they'll be so quick to appoint an incompetent sycophant with the current train-wreck administration and the fact that Jeff Sessions is leaving egg all over the senate's face.

Appointing and confirming an AG was implied by my post. And with this GOP senate, it's entirely possible. Seems too perfect really. And he's just dumb enough to go for it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He doesn't care. It simply is the only thing his lizard brain can come up with. And if GOP in congress go along with it, then it's up to someone like Schneiderman.

I don't think that the Senate would go along, at all, simply because it's gone too far. There's already too much information out there in public & in the IC & federal LEO communities, a lot of it we can't even see. The Special Counsel can integrate all that information in ways not usually done.

It's hard for me to believe that Trump hasn't been compromised by laundering money for the Oligarchs. If true, that would explain everything.

If Trump is to survive, he'll have to walk across the coals to do it, one way or another.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
I don't think that the Senate would go along, at all, simply because it's gone too far. There's already too much information out there in public & in the IC & federal LEO communities, a lot of it we can't even see. The Special Counsel can integrate all that information in ways not usually done.

It's hard for me to believe that Trump hasn't been compromised by laundering money for the Oligarchs. If true, that would explain everything.

If Trump is to survive, he'll have to walk across the coals to do it, one way or another.

I'd like to think you're right, but I've yet to see any evidence that the GOP in congress won't go along with him. They're all in. Sure, a few here and there are willing to vote no on something like AHCA. I don't see them getting a conscience all of a sudden. I'm sure he's just about to finally pivot too.

Reactions: Bitek

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I am still trying to wrap my head around what purpose meeting with a member of a foreign government on presidential campaign be not in violation ethics and or a law...

Jan 25, 2011
Remember during the confirmation process the Dems said there wasn't nearly enough time to properly vet appointees and republicans and the white house screamed obstruction?

Yeah they clearly were on to something there.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'd like to think you're right, but I've yet to see any evidence that the GOP in congress won't go along with him. They're all in. Sure, a few here and there are willing to vote no on something like AHCA. I don't see them getting a conscience all of a sudden. I'm sure he's just about to finally pivot too.

It's gone beyond partisanship & Trump being crooked. It's a matter of national security. More than a few Senate Repubs know we can't have a President who's compromised by information held by the Russian govt or any other, for that matter. That's the central issue in all of this. One way or another, Trump will be subject to trial by fire.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I am still trying to wrap my head around what purpose meeting with a member of a foreign government on presidential campaign be not in violation ethics and or a law...

I don't think meeting is an issue per se. I mean, there are a lot of ways for such things to be acceptable. Lying about it is obviously unacceptable & volunteering a lie is incredibly stupid. Nobody asked him if he'd met with any Russians.

The wicked flee when no man pursueth. That's just how it looks from here.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
You can bet they'll get right on hearings with Sessions after they have those public hearings for Don Jr. and Paul Manafort lol

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
This may be true but it's a bit thin. There is an uncomfirned report about a meeting a Russian said happen, if I scanned this correctly. I'm sure Mueller will put it in his inbox.

In the meantime the NY Justice dept needs to get its shit in a group if Trump tries any crazy pardon tricks.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You can bet they'll get right on hearings with Sessions after they have those public hearings for Don Jr. and Paul Manafort lol

They'll be on it if Trump fires Mueller, not that they really want to have to go there themselves. It's treacherous grounds for Repubs, given that Trump commands their base. OTOH, not that many face re-election in 2018 so there are plenty of them not under that gun.

Wherever it leads, they know that whitewash won't cover it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This may be true but it's a bit thin. There is an uncomfirned report about a meeting a Russian said happen, if I scanned this correctly. I'm sure Mueller will put it in his inbox.

In the meantime the NY Justice dept needs to get its shit in a group if Trump tries any crazy pardon tricks.

Dunno about the first part, but the NY guys have been keeping their powder dry & their lips shut, always the sign of good investigators & prosecutors. Whatever they have Mueller will have, along with a lot of other information that doesn't usually come together in the same place. Mueller's authority transcends the usual partitions of authority & responsibilities in govt.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Trump might have a difficult time justifying firing Sessions for being lying about, er . . ., forgetting the existence and nature of his meetings with Russians while giving a pass to Kushner and Jr. for exactly the same transgressions.