Wanting to reinstall Windows, but Windows installer not seeing SSD. Ideas?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Hi guys,

So I would like to completely format/reinstall windows on my current system in my signature. I have had it running for a little over a year, and would just like a fresh, brand new start.

BIOS sees my SSD, the system still boots to my Windows partition just fine and Windows obviously sees the SSD and correct size.

However, when I insert the Windows USB stick and boot into the Windows setup, it does not see the SSD. It sees my HDD just fine, but not the SSD, so I am unable to format/install to the SSD.

Any ideas? I can't figure why BIOS would see it, and it boots just fine and Windows see it, but the Win 10 installer cannot.

Thanks in advance!

JWade

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
www.heatware.com
may have to load the drive drivers via usb, there is an option in the install for that, I have had a few systems like that. is it a current or older version of win10 on the usb you are using?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
may have to load the drive drivers via usb, there is an option in the install for that, I have had a few systems like that. is it a current or older version of win10 on the usb you are using?

Thanks for the reply!

It's the same USB purchased at retail that I used to install it a little over a year ago when I built the computer. What's funny is that I don't remember having too much of an issue when I installed Windows for the first time; as in, I don't remember having to download any drivers or anything, or do anything out of the ordinary besides pop the install USB in and setup windows as usual.
I just verified again that BIOS sees the SSD just fine as does Windows, and boots just fine, but the installer refuses to see it...:\

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Any ideas? I can't figure why BIOS would see it, and it boots just fine and Windows see it, but the Win 10 installer cannot.

Have you set the SATA controller to RAID mode by chance? That's the most common explanation for this sort of issue.

If it's set to common AHCI, the installer should be able to at least see it.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Have you set the SATA controller to RAID mode by chance? That's the most common explanation for this sort of issue.

If it's set to common AHCI, the installer should be able to at least see it.

Thank you!

Looks like by default it was set to Intel RST Optane. I set it to AHCI and it was able to immediately find the SSD in the installer.

I guess my last question then, is should I be using AHCI or Intel RST? I only have a SATA HDD for storage, and boot windows off of the SSD. What would be the best setting for me? Thanks again!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I guess my last question then, is should I be using AHCI or Intel RST? I only have a SATA HDD for storage, and boot windows off of the SSD. What would be the best setting for me? Thanks again!

Use AHCI.

There's really no need to bring Intel into it at all (also the generic Windows storage driver gives the best performance for SSDs).

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
AHCI sounds good.

Did you go into advanced options on the windows install? You have to assign a partition and then format it. If you are using a sata drive in the M.2 slot it might be kind of touchy trying to recognize it. It might also disable one SATA port.

Maybe disconnect the other drive.

I would assume you have the SSD in the boot order in the BIOS.