Want To Move From AMD To Nvidia, Will Prices Drop?

velazkid

Dec 1, 2009
Hello, I want to upgrade my GPU sometime this year most likely. I've never really followed Nvidia pricing trends so I don't know what to expect out of these new cards. I've been using a 5850 for the past couple of years and really want to move on to Nvidia seeing as I've been hearing drivers for these cards are much more reliable. The fact that just more games seem to be optimized for Nvidia (BF3, Arkham City, any Crysis) has made this decision a lot more clear cut then it was a few years ago. What's always turned me off from Nvidia products however, is the price. I payed $300 for my 5850, and that's always where I've drawn the line for GPU upgrades. With the release of the GTX 670 though, I might be willing to give a little bit more, seeing as how I really want one.

I had been reading reviews on the 570 before hand until I discovered the 670 was just released. One review said the 570 released at $350. Now they are at $300. The 670 released at ~$400 and of course, hasn't moved yet. Can we expect it to? If so, by how much? I would think it would be at least $50, if not more. Only basing that on it's predecessors price range though, and that might be irrelevant since I've heard fewer cutbacks were taken to the 670 from it's big brother the 680 than the 570 to the 580. If, or rather when(?) the card takes a price dive, how long can we expect that to be? A few months? A year? It seems to me that $350 is the sweet spot for this card, but that might be reaching to some people. Can some of you Nvidia vets tell me your predictions on this topic, so that I might pinpoint a smart time to by one? $400 just itches me the wrong way to be honest. It's at that price point that I get that little voice in my head. His name is doubt. He tells me I should just wait for DX 11.1 cards. Or that it's not enough bang for buck. Maybe even tells me that there are better things to buy. I don't like him, but he shows up whenever I see a high dollar amount. So help me out guys. I sure need it.

LV3

Nov 30, 2011
GTX 670 just came out, and there is no competition from AMD right now that would lead to a price cut on it. 670 takes the 570s place in the lineup - however, the gap between 670 and the lineups flagship the 680 is much smaller than the gap in performance between the 570 and the 580 - and thus the gap in price is also smaller.

If you are willing to wait a little while to save a bunch of cash the GTX660 might come out in a few months, I'm sure it will make quite a splash at probably the $250-$300 price point if it maintains the 680/670 track record.

velazkid

Dec 1, 2009
GTX 670 just came out, and there is no competition from AMD right now that would lead to a price cut on it. 670 takes the 570s place in the lineup - however, the gap between 670 and the lineups flagship the 680 is much smaller than the gap in performance between the 570 and the 580 - and thus the gap in price is also smaller.

If you are willing to wait a little while to save a bunch of cash the GTX660 might come out in a few months, I'm sure it will make quite a splash at probably the $250-$300 price point if it maintains the 680/670 track record.
I think there is a bit of competition though. The 7970 and 7950 are both close to the 670, either over or under it's performance, respectively. Check out this Hexus review if you would, it says that the 7970 and 7950 already got their prices axed to $420 and $370. That's some pretty stiff competition if you ask me. What do you think of that?

Edit: Just checked Newegg, seems either I have the prices wrong in my translation from Euros to dollars, or Hexus has their numbers wrong. All the 7970's I see are at least $470 where as the 7950's are closer to my mark at $380. Hmm.

Last edited:

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
Nvidia isn't getting new products out on a large scale and is using 40nm for the lower end cards so no prices are not going any where.

If you want to buy cheap get a good 7850 and OC the hell out of it.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
velazkid: what are your specs? Check my rigs below. I run 2 5850s in Crossfire and they have plenty of power (rig 1). I use a GTX 680 for rig 2 because I have 3 monitors and need both more Vram and fps. If your MB supports cossfire you might opt for a second 5850 ( the one you paid $300 for is likely able to be bought for @$125 at most). You will still have a 1 G Vram limit but you will really notice the improvement.
To give you some perspective, here are the 3DMark11 Performance scores for my 3 rigs below. All GPUs are stock speed. Rig1 - 2 5850s CF = 7657; Rig 2 GTX 680 = 8936 ; Rig 3 6970 = 5560.

The GTX 670 is a fabulous buy and a monster card. Will the prices fall soon? Doubtful.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
The 670 is well priced at $400 IMO. It won't drop much in price at least until the fall or early next year IMO; that's when Big Kepler and the new AMD GPUs will come out.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Hello, I want to upgrade my GPU sometime this year most likely. I've never really followed Nvidia pricing trends so I don't know what to expect out of these new cards. I've been using a 5850 for the past couple of years and really want to move on to Nvidia seeing as I've been hearing drivers for these cards are much more reliable. The fact that just more games seem to be optimized for Nvidia (BF3, Arkham City, any Crysis) has made this decision a lot more clear cut then it was a few years ago. What's always turned me off from Nvidia products however, is the price. I payed $300 for my 5850, and that's always where I've drawn the line for GPU upgrades. With the release of the GTX 670 though, I might be willing to give a little bit more, seeing as how I really want one.

I had been reading reviews on the 570 before hand until I discovered the 670 was just released. One review said the 570 released at $350. Now they are at $300. The 670 released at ~$400 and of course, hasn't moved yet. Can we expect it to? If so, by how much? I would think it would be at least $50, if not more. Only basing that on it's predecessors price range though, and that might be irrelevant since I've heard fewer cutbacks were taken to the 670 from it's big brother the 680 than the 570 to the 580. If, or rather when(?) the card takes a price dive, how long can we expect that to be? A few months? A year? It seems to me that $350 is the sweet spot for this card, but that might be reaching to some people. Can some of you Nvidia vets tell me your predictions on this topic, so that I might pinpoint a smart time to by one? $400 just itches me the wrong way to be honest. It's at that price point that I get that little voice in my head. His name is doubt. He tells me I should just wait for DX 11.1 cards. Or that it's not enough bang for buck. Maybe even tells me that there are better things to buy. I don't like him, but he shows up whenever I see a high dollar amount. So help me out guys. I sure need it.
Man please don't be so Bold next time ;)

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
i dont see the 670 prices coming down anytime soon. Sorry. right now its the best card in its class. I see little reason to buy a 680, 7970 or 7950 when the 670 is priced so well at 400$. The rest of the high end cards arent nearly as good price wise so i see them adjusting before i see the 670 coming down. This is the near future. If your dead against the 400$ then as already stated the gtx660 should be around soon. another option: wait, perhaps xmas will bring us some new deals.

So for now and the next little while the 400$ price is here to stay. Your not gonna find a better value in that price range as it is. Its a great deal considering every other card close to it. Like i said, the 670 is a much better buy than the 680 in my eyes. 400$ is great for its performance. But its up to you.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I think there is a bit of competition though. The 7970 and 7950 are both close to the 670, either over or under it's performance, respectively. Check out this Hexus review if you would, it says that the 7970 and 7950 already got their prices axed to $420 and $370. That's some pretty stiff competition if you ask me. What do you think of that?

Edit: Just checked Newegg, seems either I have the prices wrong in my translation from Euros to dollars, or Hexus has their numbers wrong. All the 7970's I see are at least $470 where as the 7950's are closer to my mark at $380. Hmm.

If you don't overclock. The GTX 670 competes with the 7970 in performance but the 7950 in price. No overclocking and there is no question that the GTX 670 is the best thing out there right now at that price/performance ratio. That's why prices won't move. Why should they? The $400 Nvidia card beats up on the 7950 priced in the same range and matches or beats slightly the stock 7970 numbers in most respects. Overclocking is different, but in reality you cannot take overclocking into account because not everyone overclocks and not every card will overclock enough to where the performance difference becomes apparent.

Pray To Jesus

Diamond Member
Mar 14, 2011
If you don't overclock. The GTX 670 competes with the 7970 in performance but the 7950 in price. No overclocking and there is no question that the GTX 670 is the best thing out there right now at that price/performance ratio. That's why prices won't move. Why should they? The $400 Nvidia card beats up on the 7950 priced in the same range and matches or beats slightly the stock 7970 numbers in most respects. Overclocking is different, but in reality you cannot take overclocking into account because not everyone overclocks and not every card will overclock enough to where the performance difference becomes apparent.

Unless you are talking about factory OC 670s for roughly the same price.

Then it's just pure beating on AMD.

Ieat

Jan 18, 2012
I don't see a straight up price drop anytime soon. Although you may see a $20 to $30 rebate from less desirable companies or nvidia give out a free game with purchase in a couple of months. Beyond that you might have to wait until the holidays or beyond for real price drops.

Ashenor

Golden Member
May 9, 2012
If something is within say $50 bucks of what you want to pay, i never seen waiting months and months for it to get there. In 3 months you won;t know where the $50 went, and you could be enjoying a 670 all summer.