Want to mount an 80mm Panaflo L1A onto an ATI Radeon 8500...........ideas?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
i haven't taken a long look at the video card yet, but i want to get rid of that tiny fan that has an annoying "whirring" sound.

i was going to use the Zalman's heatpipe, but my video card doesn't support it.

any initial ideas? has anyone done something similar?

InlineFive

Diamond Member
Sep 20, 2003
Using a Panaflo L1A with the stock heatsink will not work. You would need the Zalman no matter what.

-Por

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: TheCorm
I am thinking an 80mm fan is a bit overkill for an 8500 no?

well, my main goal was to get rid of the annoying pitch from the little fan. that was just the quietest fan i could think of.

Originally posted by: PorBleemo
Using a Panaflo L1A with the stock heatsink will not work. You would need the Zalman no matter what.

-Por

maybe not mounting directly on it. what about rigging it so that the fan would be mounted over the heatsink? not necessarily attached to the video card.

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
lazybum131 suggested this to me: you take a slot cover, straighten it out, drill another hole at the bottom of it and use that to secure the fan. i haven't done it myself, but i wonder if there won't be vibrations.

second to last picture on this page:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=14&page=1

if you were to do that, it's a wonder if enough air will be flowing. but you could probably just disconnect the power from the ati fan, setup the 80mm fan, and monitor the temp of the gpu/heatsink to see how high temps get.

Stradx

Sep 19, 2003
I believe people have done mods with 80mm fans on rage3d.com... checkout the overclocking and cooling section forum.

afzan

Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: draggoon01
lazybum131 suggested this to me: you take a slot cover, straighten it out, drill another hole at the bottom of it and use that to secure the fan. i haven't done it myself, but i wonder if there won't be vibrations.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=14&page=1

if you were to do that, it's a wonder if enough air will be flowing. but you could probably just disconnect the power from the ati fan, setup the 80mm fan, and monitor the temp of the gpu/heatsink to see how high temps get.

i did this.. works well..

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
I made a bracket from a drive bay knockout to hold an 80mm panaflo under my video card. Works great.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
Originally posted by: pelikan
I made a bracket from a drive bay knockout to hold an 80mm panaflo under my video card. Works great.

Do you have a pic?

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: afzan
Originally posted by: draggoon01

i did this.. works well..

what was the setup? what video card? fan? stock heatsink? did you measure temp to determine if it was safe or did you just let it run for few hours?

also you didn't get any vibrations?

pelikan

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2002
Originally posted by: alexruiz
Originally posted by: pelikan

Do you have a pic?

No camera, sorry. It's a 3" long, 1" wide strip that is screwed in to a pci slot on one side and on the other side its bent 90 degrees where one corner of the fan is screwed into it.