Want to learn how to rollerblade, but how long does it take?

DaveCSparty

May 14, 2000
I just picked up a pair of K2 inline skates, but man is it hard.... how long does it take for someone to be good enough to skate without worrying about falling?

I can go forward on a flat surface w/o falling, that's about it. Going downhill and stopping seems impossible! Any experiences you guys would like to share with me? Thanks!

HappyPuppy

Lifer
Apr 5, 2001
The quickest way to learn how to rollerblade is to grab onto the tailgat of your buddy's pickup, have him accelerate to 60 mph and let go. If you live you are a master and if you die.........well,,,you die.
rolleye.gif

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Make sure you keep your center of gravity in FRONT of you when moving, and just slightly in front of your body's vertical axis when "cruising" while standing up.

If it helps, you can crouch slightly while going downhill. You can absorb shocks better and your CG is lower.

Ciber

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2000
Which skates did you buy?

Skate on flat ground till you gain some confidence.

Remember to bend your knees, being stiff will get you some nice scrapes.

Here, i'll just link you to a good resource.

Nice site with a lot of info.

DaveCSparty

May 14, 2000
I only went twice about 20 minutes each... my friend is teaching me tomorrow so maybe I'll get better then. I'm starting to feel pretty comfortable on them and skated only for about a mile today. I have some trails behind my apartment so I was just skating back and forth a little stretch that was perfectly flat haha.

FuZoR

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2001
it was easier then learning to ride a bike... like 2 hours give or take.

i just order a pair of inline skates few days ago :) havnt skating for over 6 years.. hope i remember.

DaveCSparty

May 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Ciber

Thanks Ciber! It's weird bending your knees, I know what you mean tho. The skates are K2 Velocity 4.0, like middle of the road ones, nothing special... they're comfy tho

Oct 9, 1999
its easy.. ofcourse i came off the roller skates and i had issues with stopping initally.. but i am good now.

I cant stand up straight properly but i can roller blade.. however down hill is a bitch.. becareful with that..

try get some speed so you can learn how the thing stands itself up.. at lower speed it isnt that stable.

I plan to get myself some roller skates though.. when i can afford it.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: DaveCSparty
Originally posted by: Ciber

Thanks Ciber! It's weird bending your knees, I know what you mean tho. The skates are K2 Velocity 4.0, like middle of the road ones, nothing special... they're comfy tho
Try doing squats while moving on the skates (obviously with all wheels planted on ground).

That should help you out a lot. ;)

DaveCSparty

May 14, 2000
Thanks guys for all your replies! I really appreciate it... right now I think the hardest part about skating is getting used to the extra weight on your feet. I am used to wearing light running shoes or my Reef flip flops. I don't think I'm lifting my feet off the ground enough, I almost drag them I think.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
I didn't find it to be that hard. I have some Ultrawheels Sabotage blades. I usually just go to skate parks with friends. Hit a few jumps and grind rails.

Basically you just don't have to be scared of falling. Obviously you will a few times, but it doesn't hurt. Just work slowly and get comfortable on 'em and you'll be fine.

Aug 23, 2000
do not use the heel brake to stop. It will not stop you quickly. Learn to drag your weaker foot behind you at almost a 90 degree angle to your forward facing foot.

ShOcKwAvE827

Jul 28, 2001
Here's my $.02

If you want to learn how to stop efficiently, learn to hockey stop, but that will be in a while at this point. This is where your lead foot is swung out and ends up perpendicular to your direction and your drag foot is parallel, which your heel facing the direction you are going. Dragging your back foot will just wear your wheels down really fast. I think newbie skaters have problems remembering to keep their knees bent and center of grav low.

Also, dont keep your feet too close together, they should be around shoulder length apart if not a little wider at the beginning of a stride; otherwise you get a "knobby knees" effect which is really bad form. Try to always "follow through" on your strides, meaning at the end your foot should have a little kick downwards, plantar-flexing your ankle at the end of smooth strides. Try to avoid choppiness in your strides.

Some things to learn as you get better:
crossing over left and right
crossing over left and right going backwards
transitioning from forwards to backwards and viceversa smoothly
hockey T-stop

Good luck with your new skates!! If you get better, get into some recreational hockey leagues, they are so much fun.

SoyBoy004

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2000
The quickest way i learned to skate was to buy a hockey stick, and play roller hockey! i know it sounds weird, but it works, just like chatting taught you to type.

opticalmace

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
do not use the heel brake to stop. It will not stop you quickly. Learn to drag your weaker foot behind you at almost a 90 degree angle to your forward facing foot.

I always wondered about that...
Doesn't that really wear down your wheels??

I'm getting a new pair of blades within a week and am curious.

DaveCSparty

May 14, 2000
Originally posted by: ShOcKwAvE827
Here's my $.02

If you want to learn how to stop efficiently, learn to hockey stop, but that will be in a while at this point. This is where your lead foot is swung out and ends up perpendicular to your direction and your drag foot is parallel, which your heel facing the direction you are going. Dragging your back foot will just wear your wheels down really fast. I think newbie skaters have problems remembering to keep their knees bent and center of grav low.

Also, dont keep your feet too close together, they should be around shoulder length apart if not a little wider at the beginning of a stride; otherwise you get a "knobby knees" effect which is really bad form. Try to always "follow through" on your strides, meaning at the end your foot should have a little kick downwards, plantar-flexing your ankle at the end of smooth strides. Try to avoid choppiness in your strides.

Some things to learn as you get better:
crossing over left and right
crossing over left and right going backwards
transitioning from forwards to backwards and viceversa smoothly
hockey T-stop

Good luck with your new skates!! If you get better, get into some recreational hockey leagues, they are so much fun.

You mean WHEN I get better haha. Thanks again everyone! I'm learning a lot already from your tips and experiences