Want to know something incredibly interesting?

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
After billions of years, matter arranged itself into a formation that allows it to contemplate it's own existence.

That's interesting.

badkarma1399

Feb 21, 2007
So true. Its amazing how petty people are in the grand scheme of things. Really pays off to take a step back every now and then to put everything in perspective. Reminds me of this youtube video someone posted here on ATOT (i think maybe)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCwVoOKxj1k

Anyways, sure the video is good, but i really liked the "about" to the right

When you open your eyes to a cosmic perspective, something awe inspiring stays with you and you see life in a whole new way.

Every single instance of life in this universe is an extension of you and you are an extension of it. As life, we are not as old as we often think we are.

Science shows that heavier elements that compose everything we see today were forged within dying stars, that existed long before the earth was formed.

If life emerged out of those components we can then understand that every living part of you is in truth older than life itself.

Perhaps we should not only be counting your age in terms of decades, but in the billions of years. The fact that you are alive today, and that your body is literally made of star stuff, is living proof of this.

As descendants of life, we may yet widen our perspectives of what we really are. Your essence did not appear out of thin air, but rather, it is composed of cells that have divided, evolved and multiplied over millions of years, information that has condensed under natural selection and universal processes.

In some ways, you have not only been as you see yourself right now, but you have, in fact, experienced the past as your individual parents and even those before them, recursively. Everything that makes you could not exist otherwise.

From this perspective, the essence that encompasses you is linked to every other entity that has ever lived, and through you and others, will also be linked to those that have yet to come.

The implications of this argument should not be lost in its simplicity. You're not only 'linked' to everything...you are part of everything.

Every single organism you've ever encountered or have yet to see, has a singular, common point of origin with you (the moment Science refers to as the singularity and the Big Bang).

Since then, everything in our universe has evolved. From subatomic particles to atoms, to molecules, to stars, galaxies, planets and even life. All of this essence is you, in many ways.

Next time you look at another human with kindness and humility in your eyes, you will see a reflection of yourself and the universe within that entity.

Ever since the universe evolved life on this planet, an instance of us has been. The essence of everything that is you, the molecules, your cells, your skin, has changed, but it has done so for billions of years.

Similarly to the way that you, as life, have a point of origin that did not begin in the womb, the evolution of life is but a brief cosmic step of a macro universal process. We could call this Universal Evolution, or the evolution of Information on a universal scale(a process that is not limited to biological evolution, but from which biological evolution emerged from).

You are part of this process. From an intelligent, conscious perspective, we may have a role to play in this process like none before.

Look around you, and you may yet realize who and what you are. Your amazing potential. To have had your essence forged inside in the hearts of stars, to have evolved hands to feel and eyes to see, ears to listen. After nearly being eradicated by meteors that wiped the dinosaurs off the face of the planet, you've had the ability to survive the toughest of ice ages, powerful droughts and dangerous moments of starvation. To have discovered fire. To form ideas about the world, becoming increasingly more aware of yourself. To have looked into the past, to reason for the future. To have created technology, to have inspired generations...In our times, through intelligence, you are exponentially becoming.

We are surrounded by insurmountable opportunities. The Universe has found a way to reason about itself, and we are experiencing that new evolutionary step, one which does not seem to have any particular singular point of importance, but to which we can give value as sentient beings, if we choose to.

There is much yet for us as life to find out and understand. Through reason, Science and Technology we're breaking away the shells of ignorance and the barriers that limit us from achieving our dreams.

Where we go from here, is entirely up to us, because if we choose to, the Universe will no longer be driven by chance...but by choice. H+.

Be a part of it:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: tasmanian
What we really need is a Total Perspective Vortex.

No need, I can already tell you I'm the most important being in the universe.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
How do I know you guys aren't just programs on a mainframe responding to my posts?

natto fire

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by: her209
How do I know you guys aren't just programs on a mainframe responding to my posts?

Why would someone go through the trouble of coding sentient posters, and then unleash it on such terrible forum software? :p

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: Captain Howdy

Why would someone go through the trouble of coding sentient posters, and then unleash it on such terrible forum software? :p

ssshhhh

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005

how do you know you aren't a semi-conscious pimple on my ass?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

YES! Now if we only had someone come here who could accomplish that...instead, we get zanejohnson...

ShadowOfMyself

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD

YES! Now if we only had someone come here who could accomplish that...instead, we get zanejohnson...

Luckily he still cant form turds able to contemplate their own existence... yet:Q