Want to get into Vinyl, need turntable, which to buy?

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Well, a couple friends of mine have turntables and I love the sound they produce, so Id like to get my own and start a vinyl collection. Im on a pretty small budget, preferably under 75 bucks, so keep that in mind. Im just curious what brands are good and what I should aim to get. I want to be able to play 78's and 45's at least.

Also if you know any good forums for this kind of thing Id appreciate it.

Thanks guys!

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
75 beans is kinda cheap IMO. Double that budget and but a Technics SL-BD20D :)

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Unless you find a good used one from the 70's or 80's

go with an inexpensive DJ turntable

like this ... Should be same price at Guitar Center if you have one nearby

Don't get a POS Sony or AIWA turntable at Best Buy for the same price

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
well, I was thinking a used one so I could pull off that 75 dollar budget. Im on a pretty tight budget since college is comin up ;) That stanton looks pretty good though.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Gotta be used....although my circa 80's Onkyo won't play 78's. For about $70 I bought the turntable, a new belt and a pretty nice Audio Technica Cartridge.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: NutBucket
Gotta be used....although my circa 80's Onkyo won't play 78's. For about $70 I bought the turntable, a new belt and a pretty nice Audio Technica Cartridge.

When you know about turntables your suggestion is valid, but TimidOCer is a "n00b" [ No offense meant TimidOCer ] so buying new is in his best interest IMO :)

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Aye, thats very true, I was hoping to get a few name brands I could look for. But I didnt know I could get a decent quality one for 100$ new so I may just do that.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
But do new ones play 78's? Oh yeah, make sure your receiver has phono level inputs and/or make sure your turntable has a built-in output converter or you'll need to get one.

sleuth bandit

Sep 4, 2005
They range from $20 to $45,000 so it all depends on how much you want to spend.
At least get a direct drive turntable.

TimidOCer

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2000
Im thinking I can get this cheap Technics SL-BD20D.

"The only reason we're selling this is my husband just splurged on a new home entertainment center that has all-in-one so all our older individual components are going on the auction block. It does however have one minor glitch. A belt has come loose so when you listen to your records there's a slight bump sound with each rotation. We just put up with it, but you will probably want to get it fixed. Seems minor enough (he'd do it himself if he wasn't so afraid of doing more harm than good). Looks great. Stylus has needle in it. "

Does that sound like Id just have to replace the belt or have it replaced whatever. I wouldnt try buying a broken one but its a very good price :)

Raincity

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2000
You can pick a decent Technics belt drive off EBay for under 75 shipped. Cartridge and stylus may be in questionable shape so add in another 50 incase you get a dog.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
I figure that most people will upgrade their hardware in time, so why not wait a while and pick up an industry standard Stanton or the prototypical Technics 1200. If you're not going to be doing any mixing/scratching, why not look at an entry level piece from a pro label like the Sumiko Pro-ject Debut III. The cartridge is going to be just as important as anything else.

kumanchu

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2000
uh..... go to your local hi-fi store that does trade-ins ( a lot of local hi-fi stores do that) and check out what they got.

for the most part used turntables in good condition will be priced under 100. make sure it comes with a headshell, and get a shure needle / cartidge combo. (great bang for your buck) you can ask the guys in the shop for advice.

the vast majority of turntables will not play 78's, and it is unlikely that you will be buying any so this feature is sort of useless.

laurenlex

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2004
Wouldn't you need a very, very high end amp/reciever and speakers to notice?

Just curious. I've heard about records smooth and natural sound, but I like digital.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: laurenlex
Wouldn't you need a very, very high end amp/reciever and speakers to notice?

Just curious. I've heard about records smooth and natural sound, but I like digital.

Nope, you don't. My dad has an 80's era Technics receiver and some 70's ear Pioneer speakers. Still a big difference.

I have a Pioneer Pro-Logic receiver and Bose (yes yes, mistake from my younger days) bookshelfs with a Yamaha sub. Again, big difference.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
I found the Audio-Technica AT-PL120, but it's priced at about $220 from J&R :)

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The Goldring GR1.2 is a great starter turntable. Google for reviews.