Want to buy a 1,500 leather sofa from City Furniture

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
I know these stores have a huge markup on furniture and I want to know if I can get them to come down on price. Would it be odd to say I want a 10% discount on the sofa and if I get it I will buy it right now?

Update: I got roomstogo to knock off $100 for a 1,000 sofa so 10% off. I am satisfied :)

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
yes. in fact i wouldnt be shocked if you asked for more then a 10% and got it.

L

Lola

Value City is just like any other type of furniture store. haggle and see what happens. :)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Your name is "Triforceofcourage" and you're scared to ask a furniture store for a discount? More like "Triforceofwuss" :D

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
The absolute worst they can do is say no. Since you're putting the salesman on the spot and he doesn't want to lose you as a customer, he probably won't do anything to embarrass you if there isn't a discount. Don't feel stupid about it, it's your money!

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
Value City is just like any other type of furniture store. haggle and see what happens. :)

Is it Value City Furniture? He just said City Furniture so I thought it might be something else...if it is Value City they won't negotiate the price but you can ask. I bought something there years ago and the salesperson was the mother of a guy I worked with...she told me they don't negotiate at all and I honestly believe she would have hooked me up if she could.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Agreed with others, just ask politely, the worst is that they'll say no.

And yeah, I don't think they negotiate on price at all, I've tried it there. :p

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Raduque
Your name is "Triforceofcourage" and you're scared to ask a furniture store for a discount? More like "Triforceofwuss" :D

:laugh:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Virtually ALL furniture stores negotiate. Maybe City Furniture won't (I've never shopped there), but most will. The rule of thumb is that if it is not self assembly (ie the ones in small boxes and you spend hours putting all the screws in), you can probably get 20% off. 40%-50% off isn't unheard of.

I've seen someone offer $900 for $1600 worth of furniture (headboard + dresser + nightstand). They were refused, but left their phone number and left the store. Just as they got home, the store called and offered them a deal of $875 plus a free matching mirror for the same set.

If you don't ask, you are a fool. That is like paying sticker price on a car. Calculating 1/3rd off is pretty easy and fast ($1000 for that sofa), so start there if you don't think you have good negotiating skills. If you pay more than $1250, you probably didn't negotiate well.

L

Lola

Originally posted by: SoulAssassin
Originally posted by: LolaWiz

Is it Value City Furniture? He just said City Furniture so I thought it might be something else...if it is Value City they won't negotiate the price but you can ask. I bought something there years ago and the salesperson was the mother of a guy I worked with...she told me they don't negotiate at all and I honestly believe she would have hooked me up if she could.

Oh, good call on me not paying attention!!!! nevertheless, ask, the worst they can say is NO!

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
Ok, I will offer them 1,000 for the 1,500 leather sofa. If they say no should I leave and just leave my number if they have a deal for me on it?

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Triforceofcourage
Ok, I will offer them 1,000 for the 1,500 leather sofa. If they say no should I leave and just leave my number if they have a deal for me on it?
That trick might not work for you, I think it was just luck in my example. But, you should be prepaired to leave if you don't get the sofa at the price you want to pay. If you aren't willing to leave, they can smell your desire for the sofa, and you won't get much of a discount.

Now that you have a starting point, what is your finishing point? That is, what is the highest you are willing to pay for that sofa?

They will try to make a counter offer on the $1000, let them. But don't just take it, try to negotiate. Go back and forth a few times. Offer to pay in check (if you can) as it will save them $25+ on CC or bank fees. Ask for free delivery (if you need it) when you can't get the price any lower.

When it is all said and done, if the final price is above your maximum, leave. The salesperson is out his/her commission and knows another salesperson at a different store or even the same store might sell it to you and get that commission. He/she will see their own money walking out the door and may be willing to go lower.

In the worst case, you know what that salesman is willing to give, you can come back in a day or two and use that info to help negotiate a lower price with another salesman.

Triforceofcourage

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2004
Originally posted by: dullard
That trick might not work for you, I think it was just luck in my example. But, you should be prepaired to leave if you don't get the sofa at the price you want to pay. If you aren't willing to leave, they can smell your desire for the sofa, and you won't get much of a discount.

Now that you have a starting point, what is your finishing point? That is, what is the highest you are willing to pay for that sofa?

They will try to make a counter offer on the $1000, let them. But don't just take it, try to negotiate. Go back and forth a few times. Offer to pay in check (if you can) as it will save them $25+ on CC or bank fees. Ask for free delivery (if you need it) when you can't get the price any lower.

When it is all said and done, if the final price is above your maximum, leave. The salesperson is out his/her commission and knows another salesperson at a different store or even the same store might sell it to you and get that commission. He/she will see their own money walking out the door and may be willing to go lower.

In the worst case, you know what that salesman is willing to give, you can come back in a day or two and use that info to help negotiate a lower price with another salesman.

I would pay the 1,500 for it because it is alot cheaper than other stores around. I just want a deal :)

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Keep us updated since I'm in the process of buying furniture as well.

Does this work in the larger chains such as Raymour Flanigan, Levitz, Crate N Barrel (doubt it)?
Never heard of City Furniture.

ColdFusion718

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2000

Here are 2 tricks that I've learned in haggling:

1). "Hmm... I don't know." You'd be surprised how well this phrase works!
2). Silence. This drives the sales person nuts. It makes them wonder about a lot of things (are you going to get up and leave and he makes $0 in sales from you? do you have something else picked out? what's going through your mind?)

Remember, YOU are the boss here. You are there to buy something. They want to sell. But ultimately, you are the one who decides if you are happy with what they are offering. They are not doing you a favor by selling it to you, got it? Again, you are the boss and they are the ones who need to please you.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
memorial day is in less than two weeks. why dont you wait and see if they have any sales going on.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
The thing about haggling is you have to be prepared to go home empty handed if they say no. Do not wiener out and give in if they want to charge $1400 and you're only willing to pay $1100 just because you want something new.

SuperFreaky

Golden Member
Nov 1, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperFreaky
great thread thx! I'll let you know how my luck is with a $2000 wrap-around....

I found a wrap-around config at Sprintz with a retail of $2800 that was a perfect fit for my room. They had a similar pre-built config in the store for $2200, but because a few of my pieces were flipped they would not give me the same price. I told them to call me if they changed their mind. They called twice with financing offers but did not budge on the price. I told the guy I would be happy splitting the difference with them ($300 off), still not even a counter offer, just a "no".

I waited 2 weeks and finally went back in and talked with a different salesman who after some behind the scenes talks with the manager agreed to my price of $2200!

I'm not sure what the lesson here is... :)

Looney

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I"ve never been to City Furniture before, but they're all over FL. Rooms To Go is awesome though... i love the concept of picking out a room and having it ALL delivered to you. I'm insanely uncoordinated when it comes to things like that. I wonder if they have a Canadian version of Rooms To Go.