Want some new headphones

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: tailes151
Originally posted by: YOyoYOhowsDAjello
Originally posted by: nkgreen
I :heart: my HD580s.

Mine are on the way. Yay tax return :p

Amp is next on my list.

They have ruined the music experience in my car though, lol. You miss stuff that you hear with the headphones in my car. I never noticed before. :(

As for an amp, I'm looking into the Electric Avenues Pocket Amp 2.

That's on my list too.

I was planning on checking out headfi to look at some more options as well. Looks like the PA2V2 goes for about $60-$65 on ebay.

Anyone know how much he charges direct?

$60 Shipped.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
JVC Marshmallow $15.

Pocket $135.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Yoyoyo...you aren't a head-fi member already?

I'm disappointed.

I go by Mrvile at head-fi. You NEED to get your butt over there stat. But please, for your own sake, leave your wallet at home or you can kiss it goodbye.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrvile
Yoyoyo...you aren't a head-fi member already?

I'm disappointed.

I go by Mrvile at head-fi. You NEED to get your butt over there stat. But please, for your own sake, leave your wallet at home or you can kiss it goodbye.

That's the main reason I haven't gone over there ;)

I've had my HD280s for almost 5 years now so I've kind of felt like I wanted to get something different. After buying the ex some 580s, I really liked them and have wanted to get something nicer.

I've also been using the 280s a lot at work and now when I see them I kind of think of work, which sucks :p

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004

Amp is next on my list.

They have ruined the music experience in my car though, lol. You miss stuff that you hear with the headphones in my car. I never noticed before. :(

That's on my list too.

I was planning on checking out headfi to look at some more options as well. Looks like the PA2V2 goes for about $60-$65 on ebay.

Spending a mere 60-65 for a PA2V2 doesn't quite do the HD580 justice, IMO. The HD580 is a home-use headphone that definitely requires a bit more juice to get the best of, and you need the right juice. I personally think the HD580 should only be used with tubes, which can get quite expensive (I currently use a "budget" Darkvoice 336i and some Sylvania and Svetlana tubes). The little portable amp you're about to get will drive the HD580 better than nothing, but it won't be long before you realize that there's a lot in a headphone like the HD580 that is missed due to its inefficiency and you'll really what to bring it out.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Aug 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Mrvile

Amp is next on my list.

That's on my list too.

Spending a mere 60-65 for a PA2V2 doesn't quite do the HD580 justice, IMO. The HD580 is a home-use headphone that definitely requires a bit more juice to get the best of, and you need the right juice. I personally think the HD580 should only be used with tubes, which can get quite expensive (I currently use a "budget" Darkvoice 336i and some Sylvania and Svetlana tubes). The little portable amp you're about to get will drive the HD580 better than nothing, but it won't be long before you realize that there's a lot in a headphone like the HD580 that is missed due to its inefficiency and you'll really what to bring it out.

Yeah, I don't really have a budget picked out yet for the amplification, so I'm going to look around a bit. I don't have any sort of portable audio player right now, so portability isn't much of an issue for me at this point.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Alone
What kind of sound are you looking for? What music do you like?

The problem with most of the headphones I've owned is that the bass completely cuts out at max volume, and that's not even that high. I'd like to have clear sound without a bunch of static. I listen to a lot of different music, like 90's rock and some metal. (Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, In Flames, etc).

Are you trying to go deaf? :p

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Originally posted by: mugs

The problem with most of the headphones I've owned is that the bass completely cuts out at max volume, and that's not even that high. I'd like to have clear sound without a bunch of static. I listen to a lot of different music, like 90's rock and some metal. (Aerosmith, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, In Flames, etc).

My life's goal. ;)

My opinion is that, despite having completely closed headphones, everyone else should be able to hear my music. If they can't, it's not loud enough.

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Originally posted by: mugs

My life's goal. ;)

My opinion is that, despite having completely closed headphones, everyone else should be able to hear my music. If they can't, it's not loud enough.

Best be done when the headphone driver is only a few millimeters away from your eardrum :p

Alone

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2006
Amp showed up today, can't say I'm all too impressed.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but despite having my volume at 3/4 potential and the amp set between 0 and max, I get static?

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
rock and metal? definitely grado/alessandro
grado sr225 or alessandro ms1

dealmaster00

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2007

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but despite having my volume at 3/4 potential and the amp set between 0 and max, I get static?

You need to use line-out. It will make the amp sound a lot better.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003

Make sure the batteries are charged. It gets staticy when the batteries are low.

i'm confused as to the usage scenario. If you are listening mostly indoors and don't mind open headphones (i.e. outside sound leaks in, and a small amount leaks out), Alessandro MS-1 are ridiculously good for the price. If you can't deal with open and don't want canalphones I have no good recommendation.

Aw WTF, I fell for an unnecessary bump :(

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: dealmaster00

You need to use line-out. It will make the amp sound a lot better.

What's with the 3 month bump?

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
well since someone bumped the thread :p I ordered my Electric Avenues Pocket Amp 2. Too bad my MP3 player died the day after :(

how are the Audio-Technica ATH-A700 Art Headphones?