Question Want memory recommendations

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
This pc is not for me. They want to game primarily. What speed ram to get for the following?

CPU: Intel 10600K
Mobo: Asus Prime Z590-A

I've built lots of rigs. It's not my money so I'm not sure what speed to start at. The mobo says it supports up to 4800 ram. Is the cost justified or is there a certain speed that is the sweet spot. I'd rather it be slower and have tighter timings. Anyone else have any experience with the this chip or this chipset?

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
3600mhz with matched cl 16 timings is a good balance between cost and performance. There are gains going over 3600mhz speed however the gains are small and not noticeable to the eye yet the cost grows substantially. Thus 3600mhz or there about is fine for most.

maluckey1

Mar 15, 2018
as the smokingman mentioned, FPS rises with RAM speed. It's a perpetuated myth that it doesn't. FPS also rises with capacity on many modern games.

Tighter timings is only part of the equation. FPS rises with total throughput and:

--Throughput rises with lower latency
--higher frequency lowers latency
--tighter timings lower latency

You can make up some latency with timings, but there's only so much that you can compensate.

So...choose the fastest frequency at the lowest timings, then the largest capacity that you can afford.

M

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
as the smokingman mentioned, FPS rises with RAM speed. It's a perpetuated myth that it doesn't. FPS also rises with capacity on many modern games.

Tighter timings is only part of the equation. FPS rises with total throughput and:

--Throughput rises with lower latency
--higher frequency lowers latency
--tighter timings lower latency

You can make up some latency with timings, but there's only so much that you can compensate.

So...choose the fastest frequency at the lowest timings, then the largest capacity that you can afford.

M

There's no myth. Yea there are gains that one has to bench to prove. You won't notice most gains with your eye. Stop acting like there's some proof that needs to be presented. This is for a pc that's not for the OP so I don't see any reason to overspend on some other persons behalf.

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
There's no myth. Yea there are gains that one has to bench to prove. You won't notice most gains with your eye. Stop acting like there's some proof that needs to be presented. This is for a pc that's not for the OP so I don't see any reason to overspend on some other persons behalf.

Yes. It's easy to tell someone else how to spend their money. I'm still going to convince them to spend more than they want. The video card convo will be fun. 😛