want a Q9550

vincedea

May 5, 2010
is there any place still selling these for a decent price? Im not interested in upgrading to the next socket just yet as this will be for my girlfriends pc and she doesnt need all that other stuff.

where do yout hink is the best place i can find a q9550 for nice decent price

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
Ebay, or wait for a good deal in this website's For Sale/Trade section.

vincedea

May 5, 2010
Ebay, or wait for a good deal in this website's For Sale/Trade section.

ive looked at ebay but they are selling roughly for $200 or so. some of teh new ones are selling for $240. at that price is it worth buying for that price? the gf would be upgrading from an e6850.

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
ive looked at ebay but they are selling roughly for $200 or so. some of teh new ones are selling for $240. at that price is it worth buying for that price? the gf would be upgrading from an e6850.

No, it wouldn't be worth it. What does she do that would even need a quad core over a decent dual core like the E6850?

RAJOD

Sep 12, 2009
is there any place still selling these for a decent price? Im not interested in upgrading to the next socket just yet as this will be for my girlfriends pc and she doesnt need all that other stuff.

I upgraded my sons computer to a Q9450 and GTX 570 video card. Huge improvement! Plays all the games like butter, he is very happy.

I got the 9450 off Ebay for like 130.00. It came with stock heatsink but was used.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Either get a brand new Core i3 dual or stay with C2D :)

I agree with this.

Also an upgrade to a new mobo, cpu, and ram is pretty easy as long as you are running either Vista or 7. I just upgraded my mom's computer that was running a 775 mobo and E2160. I did the swap and started it up. It is running Vista and got into Windows the first time, no blue screens or anything. A few driver updates and reboots later and I was done.
XP might be a bit more difficult though.

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004

I just recently purchased a used Q9550(E0 stepping) myself and I'm happy with it, it was pulled from a business workstation. I got it for a reasonable price and not off of ebay. I notice most of them sell in the $200 range on ebay. If you see one below that as a "buy it now" it's usually gone in about an hour. Many of the ones that are up for bid hit $225 and were probably beat to shit...ridiculous.

Last edited:

COPOHawk

Mar 3, 2008
The best thing you could do is install the SSD...it will speed up the system far better than the quad core. I have installed SSDs in old systems with just a P4 single core CPU and the difference is huge.

Binky

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
The Q9550 is right at the top of the line for that (dead) CPU socket, so there's a huge price premium for lazy upgraders. Look at the CPU support for your motherboard and pick something else like a Q9450 or E8400.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
An i3 540 would be as fast as that old quad in a lot of situations... and you could probably get that + a mobo + ddr3 for a similar price as a beat to hell q9550.

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
The Q9550 is right at the top of the line for that (dead) CPU socket, so there's a huge price premium for lazy upgraders. Look at the CPU support for your motherboard and pick something else like a Q9450 or E8400.

I wouldn't say it's a case of lazy upgraders across the board. Some people don't want to spend $300+ for a new board, CPU, memory, etc...The money wasn't a concern for me, just because I have the money doesn't mean I want to spend it. It depends what you do with the system, for me I just wanted a little extra balls for VMs and other stuff and I couldn't justify $300+ for it. Now if you're a big gamer or just like to upgrade often then knock yourself out. I used to do that when I was a gamer, complete upgrade every 3 years, most of that time I was throwing money out of the window.

It all depends how much you can get a Q9550 for, I wouldn't pay ebay prices.

An i3 540 would be as fast as that old quad in a lot of situations... and you could probably get that + a mobo + ddr3 for a similar price as a beat to hell q9550.

The i3 540 is close in some spots but overall it's slower. You also would be buying a outdated 1156 board to replace a outdated 775 board to run it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=50

Last edited:

RAJOD

Sep 12, 2009
Well said Lowrider, I agree 100 percent.

I wouldn't say it's a case of lazy upgraders across the board. Some people don't want to spend $300+ for a new board, CPU, memory, etc...The money wasn't a concern for me, just because I have the money doesn't mean I want to spend it. It depends what you do with the system, for me I just wanted a little extra balls for VMs and other stuff and I couldn't justify $300+ for it. Now if you're a big gamer or just like to upgrade often then knock yourself out. I used to do that when I was a gamer, complete upgrade every 3 years, most of that time I was throwing money out of the window.

It all depends how much you can get a Q9550 for, I wouldn't pay ebay prices.

The i3 540 is close in some spots but overall it's slower. You also would be buying a outdated 1156 board to replace a outdated 775 board to run it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/143?vs=50

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
You are going to overpay for that processor just to maintain your existing setup.

The next generation low end processors (Core i7 920) sell for less than that thing will and will out perform it.

Only purchase it if you really just want to maintain a legacy system without the hassle of a new motherboard and potentially new RAM.

vincedea

May 5, 2010
Yea right im trying to find one thAts not $200. If i dont find one i just may try ovrrclocker her e6850.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Another vote for the SSD. Get a nice 120+GB drive and she won't hardly believe the difference in feel.

lowrider69

Aug 26, 2004
Yea right im trying to find one thAts not $200. If i dont find one i just may try ovrrclocker her e6850.

What is she doing that a e6850 can't handle? I know it's a old dual core but for everyday use it's plenty. I went from a e6420 @ 2.66Ghz to the Q9550, only reason I got one is I wanted it for some extra juice for VMs and it was pretty cheap and wasn't beat to shit. It made a difference for what I use it for. You're going to have a tough time finding one for under $200 on ebay, like I mentioned they may pop up here and there as a "buy it now" but they vanish in under an hour and were probably OC'd through the ceiling. You may get lucky and snag one that's up for bid at a low price but it's unlikely. Just check the completed bids. I was surprised that they were selling for the prices some of these people were asking. And many of them offered no returns and people still bought them. So if you got a chip that was DOA you had a small paperweight.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 1999
necro.

just put together a $500 system with this cpu and i can't wait to get it in. why in the world would i need a new 1155 setup?

$500 budget build:

q9550
cooler master HS/F
cooler master 430 elite case
120gb ssd
4gb ddr(might up to 8gb but ddr2 isn't cheap)
560ti
430w antec psu
xfx 680 sli

doubt i even OC. 2.83ghz with 12mb l2 won't struggle too much on what i plan to play(dayZ and bf3).

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Keep in mind that motherboards don't last forever.Things like caps, power circuits, and other components can weaken with time. It's possible your motherboard is already somewhat feeling it's age and a 9550 could finish it off....Just something to think about.