Walmart Car Battery: 15% heavier for double the price. Worth it? (PIC)

Which battery would you buy?

• $49: Walmart Value battery (1yr warranty) = Rated 490cca and weights 30lbs

• $100: EverStart Plus (2yr warranty) = Rated 525cca and weights 32lbs

• $108: EverStart Maxx (5yr warranty) = Rated 640cca and weights 35lbs

Results are only viewable after voting.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
2005 Mazda3, 200k miles

with this cooler weather, my car is starting to have a hard time to start.
the battery (size 35) is 4 or 5yrs old.

I was at Walmart and decided to have them do a load test on it.
290 CCA!?! :eek:

Here's the options for my car:

iV7I9zJ.jpg

Walmart Value battery (1yr warranty) = $49, rated 490cca and weights 30lbs
EverStart Plus (2yr warranty) = $100, rated 525cca and weights 32lbs
EverStart Maxx (5yr warranty) = $108, rated 640cca and weights 35lbs

(I went to the Housewares section and grabbed a bathroom scale to weigh them. :D )

so basically it's between either the Walmart Value battery or the EverStart Maxx.
(for $8 more, might as well buy the Maxx over the Plus.)

How much cca does a car need to start in winter in DC (lets say -10F)?

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I would check the RC ratings if you can.

Likely, the MAXX is far superior in reserve capacity.

But really, I wouldn't bother with a cheap car battery if I have any sort of "winter" to get through...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I would check the RC ratings if you can.

Likely, the MAXX is far superior in reserve capacity.

But really, I wouldn't bother with a cheap car battery if I have any sort of "winter" to get through...

What is a RC rating? and how do I find it? is it printed on the battery?

Feb 4, 2009
I always buy the highest cold crank (RC?) rating possible. I have winters and I find they generally last longer than the standard batteries.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
What is a RC rating? and how do I find it? is it printed on the battery?

Reserve Capacity

Basically, it's an indication of how long your car can run on the battery alone if the alternator fails.

It's how long in minutes the battery can supply a 25A load without the voltage dropping too low.

The rating is actually more complicated than that, but that gives you the idea.

Sometimes this is printed on the battery, sometimes you have to ask.

I find that the RC rating is a decent indicator of a better battery.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
RC standard rating is how long the battery can maintain a 25A load at 80F without the voltage dropping below 10.5 volts.

You might have two 35 batteries. One might have an RC rating of 70 minutes, and another might have an RC rating of 120 minutes.

One will leave you stranded much earlier than the other.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Either go with Value or Maxx... how long do you plan to keep the car?
When my Subaru battery tested poorly earlier this year and the shop quoted me $125 for whatever battery, I said "no thanks", and ordered an Optima Red Top from Amazon for $146.

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Pretty expensive prices.... I'd go Maxx, but luckily in my area I have other better choices in that price range. I do have 2 MAXX's, only bad thing about them I've noticed is lots of corrosion around the terminals if you don't use those felt protectors. Otherwise, if you have no other choice then just be done with it.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
If you have Costco access, you can get Interstate there. I've been happy with Interstate batteries.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Take a look for Exide AGM batteries, they've got a LOT more power than regular lead acid batteries and if you're spending $100/$108, you might as well spend $130-$150 for a killer battery.

However for your particular car, if I were in your shoes, I'd just get the cheapest battery.

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
If you're gonna keep the car another 5 years then pony up at least a bill on a decent battery. Selling in 1-2 years than get the cheapo.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Pretty expensive prices.... I'd go Maxx, but luckily in my area I have other better choices in that price range. I do have 2 MAXX's, only bad thing about them I've noticed is lots of corrosion around the terminals if you don't use those felt protectors. Otherwise, if you have no other choice then just be done with it.

$100 looks cheap to me. The battery for my Jeep is $150 at Wal-mart and over $200 at the dealer.

Battery prices have risen a lot.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
LOL at the weights mentioned. As if 5lbs is going to make a whit of difference in damned near ANY car.

Pandasaurus

Aug 19, 2012
Not really sure why the weight is a buying factor, but whatever floats your boat.

Having worked there in the past (Walmart), I would go somewhere else. Provided you can't, buy the MAXX. And save your receipts. You'll need both the extra warranty, and the receipts to return it when it dies. Assuming the store will take the return...

Z15CAM

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2010
www.flickr.com
Sounds like we're winning because you have to pay more for your batteries so you can come down to America?
Wake up Man! Our rides are faster.

After our last election NAFTA is going DOWN.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I think he was trying to equate weight with quality or something.

Not really sure why the weight is a buying factor, but whatever floats your boat.

Having worked there in the past (Walmart), I would go somewhere else. Provided you can't, buy the MAXX. And save your receipts. You'll need both the extra warranty, and the receipts to return it when it dies. Assuming the store will take the return...

the heavier the battery, the more that's in there to hold a higher charge.

just wanted to see if they were all the same weight and the only difference were the name brand and warranty length.

ie:
Costco alkaline AA and AAA batteries are cheaper than Duracell batteries but they are made by Duracell and lasts just as long. you're just paying more for the Duracell name.

unfortunately that doesn't seem the case w/walmart car batteries and it seems the higher price does mean a better product, and not just paying for name brand and a better warranty on the same battery.

Pandasaurus

Aug 19, 2012
the heavier the battery, the more that's in there to hold a higher charge.

just wanted to see if they were all the same weight and the only difference were the name brand and warranty length.

ie:
Costco alkaline AA and AAA batteries are cheaper than Duracell batteries but they are made by Duracell and lasts just as long. you're just paying more for the Duracell name.

unfortunately that doesn't seem the case w/walmart car batteries and it seems the higher price does mean a better product, and not just paying for name brand and a better warranty on the same battery.

Unless it's changed in the last year or so since I left, all of the batteries Walmart sells are manufactured by Johnson Controls (I believe this includes the Champion batteries, if any of the stores still sell them), the same OEM as Interstate, AutoZone, Optima, etc. That doesn't make them the same battery, though.

As far as the cost difference goes, let me put it this way. When a battery is replaced under warranty, if the store is doing their job correctly (they probably aren't, but let's assume for a moment), the warranty does not "restart" with the new battery. This means that if you buy a battery with a 3 year warranty and it dies after a year and is replaced, you now have a brand new battery with a 2 year warranty. In my experience, it is most common for Walmart batteries to die within the first year. If they pass the first year, 3 years is the next most common. If I recall correctly, the warranty was recently changed on the MAXX batteries to 3 year free replacement + 2 years pro-rated, so it's not as good as it was, but it still helps.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Unless it's changed in the last year or so since I left, all of the batteries Walmart sells are manufactured by Johnson Controls (I believe this includes the Champion batteries, if any of the stores still sell them), the same OEM as Interstate, AutoZone, Optima, etc. That doesn't make them the same battery, though.

As far as the cost difference goes, let me put it this way. When a battery is replaced under warranty, if the store is doing their job correctly (they probably aren't, but let's assume for a moment), the warranty does not "restart" with the new battery. This means that if you buy a battery with a 3 year warranty and it dies after a year and is replaced, you now have a brand new battery with a 2 year warranty. In my experience, it is most common for Walmart batteries to die within the first year. If they pass the first year, 3 years is the next most common. If I recall correctly, the warranty was recently changed on the MAXX batteries to 3 year free replacement + 2 years pro-rated, so it's not as good as it was, but it still helps.

yes, all made by Johnson Controls.
but apparently each one is a different battery.

it's not the same battery and they just slap a walmart/brand name label on it with different warranty lengths.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Just picked up an 800cca Exide from BJS after listening to the old 580 Panasonic that was in there struggle with the cooler temps.
Starter now turns over the engine like its on crack and Mountain Dew (or whatever drugs the kids are doing nowadays)