Wall Street Not Impressed with iPhone 7, Apple shares fall 3%

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
This is a good thread, I'm learning a lot actually. I know apple is clearly soon to be on it's way to a slow decline, but what other stocks do you think are terrible Achtung?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
As it is, there have already been credible leaks from Bloomberg indicating how the battery problem came about: Samsung was in a rush to beat Apple to market, and sacrificed quality for the privilege of shouting "first!" It wasn't intentionally using unsafe batteries, to be fair, but it was definitely putting short-term marketing victories ahead of long-term success.

Seems to be a habit of Samsung's, actually. Remember the Galaxy Gear, which only existed because Samsung felt it had to rush something out to beat the then-rumored Apple watch? I'd love to know what would have happened if Samsung had been patient and focused on getting the experience right... maybe it wouldn't be third place behind Apple and Google right now.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
That isn't exactly a direct comparison however. Those Samsung earbuds don't require a phone at all to use. They have 4GB of built in storage and a heart rate monitor.

But what if they explode? That's a win for Samsung, No?

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
http://www.btigresearch.com/2016/09/16/what-matters-for-apple-line-length-or-asp-size/

"Despite the lack of lines [outside stores when the new iPhones were released], we expect Apple to grow iPhone units in the December quarter to 77.5m units (3.6% y/y growth)."

Really, who would be surprised by lack of lines when Apple themselves said some colors/models will never make it into physical stores, scalpers are mostly dead since China is now also a launch country and customers are generally smarter when it comes to Apple launches.

And small wonder Samsung no longer provides volume data anymore when they only managed to get 2.5 million Note 7s shipped worldwide before the battery disaster, and only because of that incident we have hard numbers on just how ho-hum the sales were.

Last edited:

Achtung!

Mar 10, 2015
As it is, there have already been credible leaks from Bloomberg indicating how the battery problem came about: Samsung was in a rush to beat Apple to market, and sacrificed quality for the privilege of shouting "first!" It wasn't intentionally using unsafe batteries, to be fair, but it was definitely putting short-term marketing victories ahead of long-term success.

Seems to be a habit of Samsung's, actually. Remember the Galaxy Gear, which only existed because Samsung felt it had to rush something out to beat the then-rumored Apple watch? I'd love to know what would have happened if Samsung had been patient and focused on getting the experience right... maybe it wouldn't be third place behind Apple and Google right now.

Incorrect.

Samsung Group (total asset value $530 billion USD) is still a larger company than Apple (total asset value $305 billion USD) and Google (total asset value $147 billion USD) by total asset value. In fact, Samsung is larger than Apple and Alphabet (owner of Google) combined.

Apple is only larger than Samsung Electronics, which is the largest part of Samsung Group. But Samsung Group is comprised of several other subsidiaries which manufacture jet engine parts, aircraft wings, lithium batteries, buildings, military equipment, cars, etc.

And assets are what grow a company.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Incorrect.

Samsung Group (total asset value $530 billion USD) is still a larger company than Apple (total asset value $305 billion USD) and Google (total asset value $147 billion USD) by total asset value. In fact, Samsung is larger than Apple and Alphabet (owner of Google) combined.

Apple is only larger than Samsung Electronics, which is the largest part of Samsung Group. But Samsung Group is comprised of several other subsidiaries which manufacture jet engine parts, aircraft wings, lithium batteries, buildings, military equipment, cars, etc.

How does this relate to what I was talking about, again?

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Incorrect.

That has absolutely nothing to do with Commodus's post.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
I'd love to know what would have happened if Samsung had been patient and focused on getting the experience right... maybe it wouldn't be third place behind Apple and Google right now.
Which experience?

Apple's VR experience? 360 experience?

Apple's several varieties/ generations of smart watches?

Apple's feature parity with the Galaxy series?

Samsung runs RINGS around Apple for having more, more varied, more innovative tech products than Apple- even in just the narrow space of smartphones and related tech.

I don't give a rip if they are 'third place' to Apple's hype. Apple's largely a one trick pony.

Yes, Samsung makes some fantastic blunders like with the Note 7 to be sure, but to say Apple does everything right is a bit silly- they do A FEW THINGS right, because in reality, that's all they do. A FEW things.

From a pure tech prospective, taking all the 'who's got more fans!!!?' cheerleading stuff out of it, Apple is GLACIALLY BORING!

Just a funny example of Apple in stark reality, as far as their desktop computer lineup, almost their ENTIRE LINE is rated a DON'T BUY by MacRumors (presumably a fan-site of Apple's!) and just look why:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

The entire lineup is still heavily 2014/2015 centric!

Who else could get away with ridiculous multi-year product cycles without an update? MacPros from... 2013!

The phone line just got a refresh of course. But gee, of course it's gotta be way easier to "Not rush things out" when you only update once every blue freakin' moon!

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iOS

I'm just sick of all the "Samsung just rushes everything and fails, what if they were more like Apple...!" nonsense.

THANK GOD they aren't more like Apple. I don't want to wait years for ONE maybe two products. From a tech-enthusiast standpoint, that's boring as dirt.

Reactions: khha4113

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Apple PC's/laptops are rated a "don't buy" because a refresh is coming, soon.

As for the other stuff, who really cares? Apple users make up what just a little over 10% of the worldwide market? Why get so worked up over this crap?

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
LOL "coming soon" since 2012 and early 2015!

Knock off all the 'worked up' lameness just because someone points out the silliness of criticizing Samgung for 'rushing' in comparison to Apple's ULTRA EXCITING 3 year product cycles.

Yeah, no "rushing" when you don't have to, that's for sure.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016

Knock off all the 'worked up' lameness just because someone points out the silliness of criticizing Samgung for 'rushing' in comparison to Apple's ULTRA EXCITING 3 year product cycles.

I think I've posted about 20 times I want a refurbished Note 7, but I also learned the hard way to let Samsung's products get used for a few months before I buy one, really got burned on a Galaxy 2 (?) that essentially didn't have functioning GPS had Samsung bit the bullet and done a recall, I'd have been a customer for life.

But again, these are stupid phones, no one' s forcing anyone to do or buy anything, and life goes on.

Samsung's rep is going to take a big hit over the Note fires/explosions, and the washing machines self destruction puts their reputation even further in the weeds, it's not so much that they screwed up, it's that they try so hard to cover this stuff up.

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Right, and Apple's reputation in washing machines is stellar... because it's easy to make a perfect non-existing product.

Samsung should take whatever hits it deserves, they're a huge company and they make a ton of shit. But I'm just tired of all the comparison to Apple as though Apple was even playing in the same league as Samsung for product diversity. Get out.

Some of this nonsense is just pure folklore that gets tiring.

You made the claim Samsung only did a watch to 'beat' Apple to it.. Please.

Samsung released the first Gear watch in Sept. 2013 (to put it in Apple-perspective, that's vintage CURRENT MacPro era! :p)

Apple's watch came out in April 2015- a full year after Samsung's 2nd generation of just it's first watch. Yeah that's really rushing it to beat Apple.

Eventually maybe Apple will get rewrites of history like: "Samsung rushed to copy Apple at VR lolz!! But Apple just sat back, let everyone else actually innovate (SUCKERS!) and then rushed in years later, capitalizing on what everyone else has figured out, and 'invented' the technology! Such innovation!"

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
This thread has dissolved into general thread crapping. When it started, AAPL stock closed on 9/9 at $104.64. Today it closed at $112.91. That is a gain of $8.27 per share for the remainder of the month after OPs post. Let's see if the discussion can return to what happens to Apple on Wall Street.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Remember the Galaxy Gear, which only existed because Samsung felt it had to rush something out to beat the then-rumored Apple watch? I'd love to know what would have happened if Samsung had been patient and focused on getting the experience right... maybe it wouldn't be third place behind Apple and Google right now.

Well given that things have not been cozy in Android Wear land for a bit and a few OEMs are in talks to use Samsungs watch OS I'd say Samsung are doing alright.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Which experience?

Apple's VR experience? 360 experience?

Apple's several varieties/ generations of smart watches?

Apple's feature parity with the Galaxy series?

Samsung runs RINGS around Apple for having more, more varied, more innovative tech products than Apple- even in just the narrow space of smartphones and related tech.

I don't give a rip if they are 'third place' to Apple's hype. Apple's largely a one trick pony.

Yes, Samsung makes some fantastic blunders like with the Note 7 to be sure, but to say Apple does everything right is a bit silly- they do A FEW THINGS right, because in reality, that's all they do. A FEW things.

From a pure tech prospective, taking all the 'who's got more fans!!!?' cheerleading stuff out of it, Apple is GLACIALLY BORING!

Just a funny example of Apple in stark reality, as far as their desktop computer lineup, almost their ENTIRE LINE is rated a DON'T BUY by MacRumors (presumably a fan-site of Apple's!) and just look why:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac

The entire lineup is still heavily 2014/2015 centric!

Who else could get away with ridiculous multi-year product cycles without an update? MacPros from... 2013!

The phone line just got a refresh of course. But gee, of course it's gotta be way easier to "Not rush things out" when you only update once every blue freakin' moon!

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iOS

I'm just sick of all the "Samsung just rushes everything and fails, what if they were more like Apple...!" nonsense.

THANK GOD they aren't more like Apple. I don't want to wait years for ONE maybe two products. From a tech-enthusiast standpoint, that's boring as dirt.
I find Android manufacturers the same level of boring. All running the same boring software. As a tech enthusiast, Android has to be the most boring OS ever created.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I find Android manufacturers the same level of boring. All running the same boring software. As a tech enthusiast, Android has to be the most boring OS ever created.
That doesn't really make sense if you prefer Apple. There's way more variety in Android hardware and software than in Apples.

Not saying that theres no reason not to prefer Apple, it's just that variety of choices isn't one of them.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014

Don't forget, slow and steady wins the race. It's better to have fewer, well considered products than rushing loads of stuff to market. Samsung have released loads of phone since the iPhone 6S came out last year. Yet I've now got a 7 Plus because despite all the products Samsung have released, none of them are as attractive or as interesting as what Apple have released. The first boring thing Samsung needs to get rid of is Android. I want software innovation, not someone else's OS slapped on the device.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
This thread has run its course. A mod posted about putting this thread back on topic but the following posts are still apple vs android.

This thread is now locked.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Status
Not open for further replies.