Walgreens security guard was charged with murder

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Why would they let a poorly trained security guard carry a gun???

A Walgreens security guard was charged with murder after he allegedly shot a suspected shoplifter in the back as the man fled from the store, prosecutors said.

Donald Vincent Ciota II, 28, was charged with one count of murder, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said in a press release Monday.

Ciota allegedly confronted Jonathan Hart, 21, inside the Hollywood, California, store on Dec. 2 after accusing Hart of stealing, prosecutors said in the press release. The two men got into a physical altercation, and Ciota pulled out a gun and is "alleged to have fatally shot Hart in the back as he ran away," the release stated.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Who made the first act of physical aggression. Personally, if the guard was physically attacked while trying to make a stop, I would say all actions after that can't be logically claimed to be culpable because that's the point where insanity and irrational action becomes a positive for human survival. Adrenaline is the go nuts drug that is there to save us. I would have a very hard time saying how I would have reacted or if I would have done better. There are situations, it seems to me, where it is really impossible to judge the actions of a person are bad judgement or autonomic reflex. Was it calculated payback or had reason simply gone on vacation. I would not want to judge.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Why would they let a poorly trained security guard carry a gun???

A Walgreens security guard was charged with murder after he allegedly shot a suspected shoplifter in the back as the man fled from the store, prosecutors said.

Donald Vincent Ciota II, 28, was charged with one count of murder, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said in a press release Monday.

Ciota allegedly confronted Jonathan Hart, 21, inside the Hollywood, California, store on Dec. 2 after accusing Hart of stealing, prosecutors said in the press release. The two men got into a physical altercation, and Ciota pulled out a gun and is "alleged to have fatally shot Hart in the back as he ran away," the release stated.

I can tell you that he got exactly 80 hours of training, 10 of which, is watching movies like "Shoot, Don't Shoot". The training is about as basic as it gets and you have to pay for it yourself in order to get 15.00 an hour (in 1979 dollars). It costs 75.00

The ones that are serious about the field (Filling time until they get recruited by a PD) opt for 832.PC training, which is the same training that Reserve Peace Officers get. That will run you about 850.00-1400.00, depending on what Academy you got to.

Doesn't really matter which one he did, because BOTH tell you under no circumstances can you shoot a fleeing person, unless you've got a dead body laying in front of you, AND you have a reasonable belief tht the person fleeing killed it. That video better show he was an active fight, or he is going to be doing some serious time, and he won't fare well behind bars.

Walgreens must be paying for his defense, because there is absolutely no way a security guard can afford an attorney like Geragos

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
under no circumstances can you shoot a fleeing person,

In American society the gun is seen as the ONLY solution.
The Walgreen executive that approved the carrying of the gun is an accessory to murder.
I smell a big law suit against Walgreen's.

Last edited:

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
In American society the gun is seen as the ONLY solution.
The Walgreen executive that approved the carrying of the gun is an accessory to murder.
I smell a big law suit against Walgreen's.

Walgreen had nothing to do with "approving" the guard. They hire a security company, and either the guard has a gun card or he doesn't. I worked armed security before I joined the Marines, (back when dinosaurs walked the earth), and it's common knowledge that if you EVER have to shoot, you WILL go to jail. 9.9 times out of 10, if it's a clean shoot, you never make it past a holding cell pending investigation, but if there's the slightest flake, you're hooked and booked.

Nov 25, 2013
It was over the suspected theft of a $3 bottle of "water flavoring product." 3 bucks seems to be worth a bullet in the back