Wake up my fellow conservatives!

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
We where given the choice, in 2000, of John McCain, a qualified but very fiscally wrong man, and GWBush, an under-qualified and some-what fiscally wrong man.

The concept of ?compassionate conservatism? rang true to my ideals, we don?t spend more than we tax, we cut taxes, and we do good with the taxes we do collect.

Fast forward to 2008:

Compassionate conservatism really translates to: we do some good, we cut some taxes but we don?t make sure we have enough money from the latter to cover the former.

If you want government to only intervene where necessary and useful then Bush was a better option than McCain but neither of them believe in this.

Do you honestly think that you aren?t being taxed?

Taxation occurs anytime money is spent without having tax dollars to back it up, this is because eventually economic factors (inflation stag-flation etc) will catch up to deficit spending and lead to money holders loosing value?

So if I demand 1 dollar from you or make your $10 worth 9, it?s still taxation.

The only difference we get with Obama is that he may actually tax to cover his spending, something McCain will not do.

The sad truth my conservative friends is that Obama is only 10% more ?communist? than McCain? and that 10% is a willingness to be honest about the FACT that spending IS taxation.

Sorry... I've lerked these forums for many years and I just had to finally say something.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
You need to fix your title...the Conservative Republican party was stolen MUCH earlier than 2000...you COULD start with the 1980 Ronnie Raygun election...or the 1968 Richard (I am NOT a Crook) Nixon election...

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Not true boomer.

Reagan was a conservative. It was the congress that wasn't.

Also the 90s were very conservative in nature. Less taxes, less spending, great growth.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
OP welcome and you bring a refreshing opinion to the table. I think alot of people on the left the middle and the right of the political spectrum want to see some serious introspection taking place on the part of the GOP.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Not true boomer.

Also the 90s were very conservative in nature. Less taxes, less spending, great growth.

Conservative in name only. He dammed near bankrupted the country in his arms war with the Soviets...but they went bankrupt first...

IMO, Ronnie Rayguns was the worst president in US history...until George W. Bush pushed him into 2nd place.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'd say Gerald Ford was the last TRUE conservative President. Reagan and both the Bushes were too enamored with deficit spending.

andy04

Dec 14, 2006
Its after all an old party. OLD is in its name. Times have changed, people have changed. The party has evolved. For better or worst is another discussion. I mean its not realistic to expect a party to stricktly follow its principles for more than 100 years...

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: BoomerD
Not true boomer.

Conservative in name only. He dammed near bankrupted the country in his arms war with the Soviets...but they went bankrupt first...

IMO, Ronnie Rayguns was the worst president in US history...until George W. Bush pushed him into 2nd place.

I'm not sure what place I would put him in, but he most certainly was terrible. Amongst many things, Reagonomics has never and will never work as intended. The numbers don't lie.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: andy04
Its after all an old party. OLD is in its name. Times have changed, people have changed. The party has evolved. For better or worst is another discussion. I mean its not realistic to expect a party to stricktly follow its principles for more than 100 years...

Is it too much to ask them to espouse principles that it says that it holds?

Tax and spend democrats are a bad thing when they go to far... but Tax-cut and spend republicans are a much worse animal.

Thanks for the welcom!

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

Fine, but is it asking too much for a conservative party to remain truly conservative?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: DixyCrat

Is it too much to ask them to espouse principles that it says that it holds?

Tax and spend democrats are a bad thing when they go to far... but Tax-cut and spend republicans are a much worse animal.[/q]

Agreed for many reasons. Higher deficits + hemorrhaging hundreds of billions overseas is just a lethal combo. That kind of spending doesn't recirculate in the domestic economy nearly as much as the typical wasteful spending by the Dems. Someone getting extra social security or welfare will go out and buy food, beer, clothes, whatever, but almost certainly from local and domestic businesses. Not ideal, but it's far better than what we've seen over the past 8 years.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
The battle for the Republican party is OVER. The conservatives lost. The neo-cons won.
Get over it, and find a new party.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: techs
The battle for the Republican party is OVER. The conservatives lost. The religious right won.

Fixed.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
The battle for the Republican party is OVER. The conservatives lost. The neo-cons won.

Wait, I thought the Fundamentalists won?

EDIT: Aye, Vic...

mxyzptlk

Golden Member
Apr 18, 2008
Are you really self identifying as a dixiecrat??

The States' Rights Democratic Party (commonly known as the Dixiecrats) was a segregationist, socially conservative political party in the United States.

:confused:

Why not just come out and say you don't want one of dem uppity negra's in office?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Do you honestly think that you aren?t being taxed?

Taxation occurs anytime money is spent without having tax dollars to back it up, this is because eventually economic factors (inflation stag-flation etc) will catch up to deficit spending and lead to money holders loosing value?
THANK GOD FOR THIS.

I've no clue why so few people don't get that. Taxes are a SYMPTOM. Spending is your real problem. People are so dull that they can see only the symptom initially.

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
What are you going to do, dig up Barry Goldwater and nominate him in 2012?

No need if you live in LA, Goldwater Jr. has been nominated as VP of the Louisiana Taxpayers Party and OFFICIALLY is on the ballot w/ Ron Paul:
http://www400.sos.louisiana.go...dta=1104083601++01++++
http://www.thetowntalk.com/art...01/810120333/1001/NEWS
http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2237386&enterthread=y

Anyway the solution if clear for those who feel betrayed by the Republican Party: vote Libertarian. I'll be voting Bob Barr. Chuck Baldwin (Constitution Party) is a good alternative, and if you live in Louisiana or Montana you can vote Ron Paul on principle

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: mxyzptlk
Are you really self identifying as a dixiecrat??

The States' Rights Democratic Party (commonly known as the Dixiecrats) was a segregationist, socially conservative political party in the United States.

:confused:

Why not just come out and say you don't want one of dem uppity negra's in office?

Thank you for noticing, and no.

If you look at my sig:
No.. not a dixI crat, a dixY crat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixy_Lee_Ray

you will see I am more interested in the surprisingly conservative first female governor of Washington.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Not true boomer.

But our economy would be destroyed if we repealed the Bush tax cuts...I didn't know they were so *low* under Clinton. So what are they now, negative? I say we go back to the *less taxes* days of Clinton, those were the good 'ol days.

Learn something new everyday.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

100 years ago the republicans were easily the more liberal party when it came to economic regulation. the democrats were more populist, of course, which they've been since jackson.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Bill Clinton was the best Republican President since Eisenhower. Nixon was the best Democratic President since FDR.