Waiting for Silly-Dust tech-support: Has the DVR project moved forward to record premiums?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Main HTPC is still a Win 7 and Media Center.

Bought the original $60 subscription to the Kickstarter DVR project of HD Homerun for my PRIME tuners.

Still does not record premiums. Has there been any change in this aspect?

I was awaiting an e-mail from them telling me to renew my subscription, but last time I asked, they said "still in Beta status, so your original payment still good. . . "

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Did a search for silly-dust to try and help you but didn't come up with anything.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Not yet. DRM is still the big point of contention...
See interview (CES 2018 interview w/ SiliconDust by Lon Seidman) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WEuPnwijLA&list=PLCZHp4d1HnItJuKrjG4tqnb1zF-GdRK2h
Thanks for the vid!

Sure, NOW they got a 6-tuner device...when I cut the cord. :p

I still loved my Prime when I used it, would have been awesome with 6 tuners.
The only thing I would have liked better with a 6 tuner product is if it could do on the fly encoding to H.265. MPEG-2 eats a ton of space.

250GB on board storage is interesting for the other product, is that NAND or something else?

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
TBH, onboard transcode would probably add too much complexity when dealing with protected content- which would add cost. And most of the providers are moving to h.264 to save bandwidth/ stuff more channels anyway...

as far as the onboard storage- no idea.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I just thought I'd do another web-search and check for any indication that HD HomeRun DVR had moved forward to allow recording of premiums. So I turned up this link that said "Waiting for Silly-Dust tech-support: Has the DVR project moved forward to record premiums?"

Wow! I thought. I hit the jackpot! Somebody said something about this very topic just this last January!

Somebody, OK . . . . it was me. . . .

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Wow! This is almost an echo of my previous post of May 6, which also surprised me for turning up my own thread in a search.

And the thread is still less than a half-dozen behind the latest thread posted here?!

Well, here's the latest. No, Silly Dust hasn't yet made recording of premiums possible.

In a new development and setback, I was running my HDHomeRun App and HDHR DVR software on this Windows 10 system, and suddenly discovered that the record button and record features are missing. This may have happened after I updated to Fall Creators #1709 earlier this year (2018). Tracking them down in the App's menu(s) -- going to the "Live TV-Recorded-Discover-Tasks" menu is suddenly a dead-end, with the message "No DVR Configured."

I am now in contact with Silly Dust Support with a ticket, and tried two successive actions they've suggested with no change.

MEANWHILE! I discover that Windows 10 is suddenly presenting a crude channel lineup for my SillyDust HDHR-Prime tuners under "Movies and TV"->"Personal"->"Media Servers."

Windows will play the channels as selected, but will not play the premium/DRM/encrypted content.

NOW I HAVE A QUESTION. [Keep in mind I have a lot on my plate right now, and want to avoid dead-end results of Windows-PC explorations, so I'm asking . . ]

If I hook up my Windows Media Center Remote and USB receiver, does Win 10 do anything to configure it to -- say -- the "Movies and TV" menus or submenus? Can anyone offer any insight on this or related questions?

Thank you.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
Hmmm. Win 10 waking to serving some TV? I recently added a W10 laptop to my Media Center home, and play anything on the DVR in W10 with VLC Player.

I got an MS request for a review of 10, "Cumbersome compared to 7, hate the tiles (what you're trying to get me to look at), AND WITHOUT MEDIA CENTER IT IS 100% USELESS TO ME! This laptop will be UPgraded to Linux in short order."

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Hmmm. Win 10 waking to serving some TV? I recently added a W10 laptop to my Media Center home, and play anything on the DVR in W10 with VLC Player.

I got an MS request for a review of 10, "Cumbersome compared to 7, hate the tiles (what you're trying to get me to look at), AND WITHOUT MEDIA CENTER IT IS 100% USELESS TO ME! This laptop will be UPgraded to Linux in short order."
Anything including HDCP-compliant DRM or encrypted channels?

There are some advantages to Win 10 that aren't noticeable as GUI improvements or degradations. You can use "Classic Shell" which now seems to work reliably with auto-updates every time there's a major Win 10 feature update, which addresses some part of your GUI misgivings -- only once in a while do I need revert to the regular Win10 desktop and functions and design.

The Windows MCE Remote white-box kit should work fine with Windows 10, but I have yet to confirm. But -- trust me -- it would do so as a trademark feature of MS products.

I mothballed my Hauppauge 2250-HVR and remote. The HDHR'-s both have the same cable-channels as OTA, or I haven't noticed any OTA channels that I can not get otherwise. It requires coax input, and is only local hardware, whereas the HDHR'-s are network hardware.

There is likely more than one guide and one that I know of for reprogramming the Win MCE Remote. And you can still buy those remotes -- with the green button and the "Microsoft" logo on silver paint. There are several designs sold as "Windows Remotes," but the MCE versions were the white-box originals sold when Windows first acquired a Media Center function. And of course, with the buttons, they are all identically wired, built to a similar or identical spec.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, I gave up on Sillicon Dust a long time ago and have stuck with my HD PVR's. Sure I need a STB, but at least if I can view it, I can record it...