Waiters, how much do you make a night?

amdforever2

Golden Member
Sep 19, 2002
I'm looking into getting a second job as a waiter at Perkins.

So, during non peak times, how much should I expect to make per day?

Let's use tuesday as an example?

bradruth

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by: amdforever2
Interesting. How do I convince GMAC to accept bread bowl salads as well?

If all goes to plan our national currency will be bread-bowl salads by the end of the year. You're just the beginning, my friend. Best of luck to you.

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
i make $9 an hour as a banquet waiter, no tips though.. well once i made a $100 tip prolly from a guy who was a wiater himself, don't think that happens often though haha

miri

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2003
What are the menu prices? You will probably make 15% +/- 5%. Tips depend on a lot of factors. Sometimes you may work hard for a table and get nothing for a tip. But if that happens just keep working hard on your other tables. I am not sure of waiter wage in your state but in Virginia it is $2.13 a hour + tips. Expect to tip out 2-5% of your sales to bussers, runners, bartenders and hostess. If the restaurant is busy you will probably make good money. Maybe $50-$100 on a good night. Also some restaurants deduct a percentage from your credit card tips to cover the credit card transaction fees.

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: miri
What are the menu prices? You will probably make 15% +/- 5%. Tips depend on a lot of factors. Sometimes you may work hard for a table and get nothing for a tip. But if that happens just keep working hard on your other tables. I am not sure of waiter wage in your state but in Virginia it is $2.13 a hour + tips. Expect to tip out 2-5% of your sales to bussers, runners, bartenders and hostess. If the restaurant is busy you will probably make good money. Maybe $50-$100 on a good night. Also some restaurants deduct a percentage from your credit card tips to cover the credit card transaction fees.

Holy crap! Minimum wage is 7.05 here even if you pump gas!

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Occifer

It won't be if you're a waiter/waitress.

Occifer

Golden Member
Mar 27, 2002
Originally posted by: rbloedow
Originally posted by: Occifer

It won't be if you're a waiter/waitress.

AFAIK there is no waiter wage here.

Zugzwang152

Lifer
Oct 30, 2001
with a 6.25 base, i would average out to 15-20/hr as a server in a 2-2.5 star restaurant. We're talkin' about $80-120 for a 4 hour shift + 1 hour closing side duties, on a weekend night. on say a tuesday, around $30-50 in cash. This is before tipout too. on average as a waiter you will end up tipping out 15-20% of your gross cash tips to your bussers/expos/bartenders, and possibly donate to the weekly kitchen pool.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't listen to naysayers.....just get in there and do your best work. If you think you have something to offer, you are probably right. My point is, find a place you would like to work, them give them the service you envision...give it 90 days. Let's see what you bring in. Don't let anything you've heard influence you. Washed up old waiters and waitresses are your enemy. Learn that right now, then you go!